Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several threads about the European Ravs, why are they so lucky as to get manual transmission Ravs and we in the states can't. I've driven manuals all my life including the four Ravs my wife and I have owned, but now with no manual available, it'll be bye-bye to my Rav. Do they just not sell enough in the U.S.A. to bring them here?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A six-speed gearbox on the 2006 model!

More than half of all new cars purchased in Europe are diesels which better suit a manual gearbox .

Auto's are not very popular in Europe, lower performance and less fuel efficient. Auto's are often chosen by older people.

Big American engines suit an Auto better, they still waste fuel and power but that hasn't seemed to matter - until recently!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
So far, the only manual transmissions available for any of the 2006 RAV4's are attached solely to oil burners (diesels).

Everything else is either a 4 or 5 speed automatic or a CVT (Japan-only at the moment).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry but that's incorrect. The petrol (gas) version in Europe comes with a 5 speed manual transmission. Auto is optional.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, apperantly not enough manuals were sold in the USA with 4.2 gen, so they decided not to offer them anymore...

·
Registered
422 Posts
spwolfx said:
well, apperantly not enough manuals were sold in the USA with 4.2 gen, so they decided not to offer them anymore...
Okay, you all probably knew I was going to have to rant about the auto only thing eventually, so here goes. :wink:

Gee, I wonder why they didn't sell enough manual 4.2's in the U.S.? Could it be because Toyota chose to make them virtually impossible to obtain? I had three options when I bought mine....(1) get a manual base model (not really an option at all since I had no interest in a base model), (2) travel 1,000+ miles west to get a manual Sport, or (3) travel 1,000+ miles east to get a manual L.

Since I like to do crazy things, I actually went with option 3. But how many people would actually be willing to travel 1,000 miles just to buy a car??? Most are just gonna say, screw it, I'll get something else. (As for me, I'll probably never buy another vehicle locally again because we had so much fun on the trip, but that's a topic for another time. :lol: )

Anyway, my point is they would've sold a heck of a lot more 4.2 manuals in the U.S. if they had BUILT a heck of a lot more 4.2 manuals for the U.S. I love 'em, but sometimes Toyota just baffles me.

Okay, rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming! :wink:

Becky

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bottom line....There is more money to be made off the the Auto Tranny "loaded" versions here in North America. After all we all own oil fields and record labels so why not send all the expensive ones to the U.S. and Can.?

Good goin' Toyota. Way to "stick it to the man!" You got us, what are we going to do now? Here's one for ya......I'M NOT BUYING ONE!

I guess Becky's attitude is contageous.

Later. M. :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Becky J. said:
Okay, you all probably knew I was going to have to rant about the auto only thing eventually, so here goes. :wink:
Welcome back Becky! Wow, I never knew you road-tripped your RAV so far... that's just too cool! 8) Where they heck ya been? :D

One thing I wonder, though.... Is whether Toyota even makes a manual tranny that can handle the horses and torque racing behind their all-powerful 3.5L V6...?

As for the Toyota's bypassing of manual transmissions, they're not alone in the world, just look at Acura and Mazda... Both the RDX and CX7 are only automatics, and that's attached to verrrry sporty turbocharged four-cylinders... Will anyone cry foul with them? :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome back Becky! Wow, I never knew you road-tripped your RAV so far... that's just too cool! Where they heck ya been?
It does seem like I've been running around lately and I haven't had a whole lot of time to post! I've been doing a lot of really dull stuff like working on financial stuff for our condos (I'm the Treasurer), getting our personal tax stuff together and all that.

But yeah, my baby is from Boston (the Rav, not the husband :wink: ), and rather than pay $900 to have her shipped we figured we'd spend $900 on a fun weekend vacation in Boston, then drive her home. Definitely one of the best things we've ever done! We're madly in love with Boston and will go back one of these days.

And the question of the hour...was getting the manual worth all the extra time, effort, and money? YES!!! :D

Becky

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marcutio said:
Bottom line....There is more money to be made off the the Auto Tranny "loaded" versions here in North America. After all we all own oil fields and record labels so why not send all the expensive ones to the U.S. and Can.?
It is a question of making money, but not like you suggest.

Auto manufacturers place orders with component suppliers many months before the planned production date. In fact, their build plan for the model year is largely set before the first unit ever rolls off the line.

Of course, the plan can be changed during the year, but unused parts will have be held in inventory or scrapped. Both of these options are very costly.

The fewer configurations they build, the easier and less costly it is to manage the flow of parts to support build changes.

Last I saw, the US market overall is about 10% manual transmission. Of course, that figure includes niche market sports cars and pickup trucks. Statistically, the percentage of potential RAV4 buyers who will only have a manual is tiny.

Toyota obviously decided that it would cost them more to offer a manual transmission than they could possibly recoup in additional sales. As far as I know, they don't offer a manual in any current SUV.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What really makes no sence is that they still offer a manual transmission in a Camry. How many people will buy that car with a stick shift?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I was just gonna point this out cause my dealer has 3 Camry SE's with manual trans, so they must sell..

MSG said:
What really makes no sence is that they still offer a manual transmission in a Camry. How many people will buy that car with a stick shift?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The newest autos negate any advantage in fuel economy the manual enjoyed, so there is one argument us manual fans can't use any more, but i have said it before and i will say it again. it is simply more enjoyable to drive a stick, it even makes the underpowered Rav(I have a 2.0) a lot of fun to drive. i just sold my Lexus GS, which the Rav couldn't hope to keep up with, but I always had more fun driving the Rav. The auto in the GS took all the fun out of it. I too had a major headache getting my 02 maual, had to drive out of province to get it, and it did not have the options I wanted, but hey, driving fun as , I spend more time shifting gears than opening or closing manual windows. Can't even the 10% of us have that choice. Between the auto only, the bland style, and the bloated dimensions I will not be getting the new Rav. My opinion only, I am sure it is a great vehicle, and beauty is in the eye the beholder(I do LOVE the new interior)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts