Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, it's the SOS button.

If you're talking about replacing it because it's broken, that part doesn't come separately, you'd have to buy the entire map console.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you want to experiment you can try Highlander 2019 console and that is almost similar in shape to RAV4 and has backlit buttons.

·
Registered
2921 RAV4 Prime SE
18 Posts
Any updates to the backlit roof center console? This is the only real pet peeve I have with my R4P. After paying over $40K for vehicle then can't find the map/dome light and dump rain/snow on my wife and I for something that would cost toyota less then $5 is asinine. I know I can fix the doors with corolla or other toyota alternative window switch panel and I can go by feel on windows but when you truly need interior light; (usually it's urgent situation, kid crisis, dropped jewelery, etc) it's painful and potentially dangerous. Hope Toyota or some aftermarket company comes up with new switch panel.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any updates to the backlit roof center console? This is the only real pet peeve I have with my R4P. After paying over $40K for vehicle then can't find the map/dome light and dump rain/snow on my wife and I for something that would cost toyota less then $5 is asinine. I know I can fix the doors with corolla or other toyota alternative window switch panel and I can go by feel on windows but when you truly need interior light; (usually it's urgent situation, kid crisis, dropped jewelery, etc) it's painful and potentially dangerous. Hope Toyota or some aftermarket company comes up with new switch panel.
This

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
This

I looked into this a while back and mostly gave up. There are no other vehicles in the Toyota or Lexus fleets that have the same style overheard console. The only other option would be to find another vehicle that has the same buttons with illumination and pull them out of the console to replace them, and knowing how Toyota removed the illumination circuits from the other wiring harnesses that would likely have to be done as well. Further complicating this would be that since the buttons differ based on trim level/options (sunroof vs panoramic roof vs none) I think you'd have to source buttons from a very specific vehicle based on what you have.

Does anyone know if the overhead switches in the Highlander are illuminated? Maybe that would be a good candidate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
But appears different in shape and button layout

What year is that? It's a shame that the sunroof buttons don't match, I was really hoping they would.

I've been having a really hard time finding good, detailed photos of the overhead consoles. I need to go the dealer for the gas tank evaluation soon, so I was thinking of taking photos of every overhead console from all the cars in the showroom.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
What year is that? It's a shame that the sunroof buttons don't match, I was really hoping they would.

I've been having a really hard time finding good, detailed photos of the overhead consoles. I need to go the dealer for the gas tank evaluation soon, so I was thinking of taking photos of every overhead console from all the cars in the showroom.
To think of it, if this latest Highlander console is of same dimension as RAV4s, it might be possible to swap the whole thing. The previous Highlander had homelink buttons on the overhead console (RAV4 has these buttons on the mirror), so a direct swap wouldn't be possible, but now looks like it might work (if dimensions match). So when you are the dealership do take precise measurements of the Highlander console.

·
Registered
211 Posts
To think of it, if this latest Highlander console is of same dimension as RAV4s, it might be possible to swap the whole thing. The previous Highlander had homelink buttons on the overhead console, so a direct swap wouldn't be possible, but now looks like it might work (if dimensions match). So when you are the dealership do take precise measurements of the Highlander console.
HomeLink transmitters are usually contained near the buttons (usually as part of the buttons), the module just needs power. In the case of having it be part of the overhead console, I would expect the power connector for the lights and SOS button to also power the home link buttons.

Dimensionally, if any of the overhead consoles physically fit our vehicle, I’d expect the connectors to be compatible. Worst case, if I’m wrong, we may need to re-pin a harness or use a different connector. I doubt they would change the connector between models though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
HomeLink transmitters are usually contained near the buttons (usually as part of the buttons), the module just needs power. In the case of having it be part of the overhead console, I would expect the power connector for the lights and SOS button to also power the home link buttons.

Dimensionally, if any of the overhead consoles physically fit our vehicle, I’d expect the connectors to be compatible. Worst case, if I’m wrong, we may need to re-pin a harness or use a different connector. I doubt they would change the connector between models though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Someone just need to check the latest Highlander console if their dimensions align with RAV4. It does appear very similar in appearance (except for the rounded corners).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts