Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made an appointment to get the head unit software updated to get rid of that annoying rebooting problem and I provided them with the TSB pertaining to that. I also put in the comments and told the adviser when I got there that I wanted the maps updated as well and had the TSB in the comments section of my request, it was printed on the paper given to me at the end. I asked specifically, did you update the maps, he said yes. I looked at the paper and it didn't say anything about updating the maps except in my comments printed on the last line of the paper record.

I go out to my car, turn it on, go to the map data and sure enough, they didn't do it, still 03/01/2018 data. I pull right back in the garage and go get the guy. He first tries to tell me there's codes and I'm just not understanding. Oh ok, right, I'm bringing you the TSB and I don't understand...right. I show him the screen, he takes a pic and goes in the back, then comes back out and says oh that doesn't apply to your VIN so it'd be $179. I said B.S. it's not VIN specific and he says call Toyota Corporate, so I called them on my way home, opened a case, complained about them not wanting to do it, telling me my VIN isn't the right one for that and wanting to charge me. So, he said they'd be contacting the service manager and I should hear something no later than noon Monday.

What a racket! Dude I gave you the TSB and you're lying to my face and trying to tell me I'm too stupid to understand what I'm talking about. Guess who's not getting all 5's on their survey? lol

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,039 Posts
Does the TSB state that the maps will be updated? I believe my map version is form 2018 and was under the impression that updates are not free. I could be wrong as I never use the Nav, but that's what I remember when I tried to update them manually a few months ago just to see what would happen.

I had made an appointment to get the head unit software updated to get rid of that annoying rebooting problem and I provided them with the TSB pertaining to that. I also put in the comments and told the adviser when I got there that I wanted the maps updated as well and had the TSB in the comments section of my request, it was printed on the paper given to me at the end. I asked specifically, did you update the maps, he said yes. I looked at the paper and it didn't say anything about updating the maps except in my comments printed on the last line of the paper record.

I go out to my car, turn it on, go to the map data and sure enough, they didn't do it, still 03/01/2018 data. I pull right back in the garage and go get the guy. He first tries to tell me there's codes and I'm just not understanding. Oh ok, right, I'm bringing you the TSB and I don't understand...right. I show him the screen, he takes a pic and goes in the back, then comes back out and says oh that doesn't apply to your VIN so it'd be $179. I said B.S. it's not VIN specific and he says call Toyota Corporate, so I called them on my way home, opened a case, complained about them not wanting to do it, telling me my VIN isn't the right one for that and wanting to charge me. So, he said they'd be contacting the service manager and I should hear something no later than noon Monday.

What a racket! Dude I gave you the TSB and you're lying to my face and trying to tell me I'm too stupid to understand what I'm talking about. Guess who's not getting all 5's on their survey? lol

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is why you should AVOID car manufacturer GPS if you possibly can. A Garmin is under $200 and includes free updates. When you go someplace with Uncle Earl in his 1969 Chevy, you can have your directions with you. You can jump into a rental car at 3 am in the airport 2000 miles from home and instantly have directions. Try that with a $1000+ Nav option.
IF the Garmin fails, pitch it out the window, stop at a Best Buy or Walmart, and replace it in a few minutes (NOT hours and days at the dealer). The dealer will have some part time high school drop out replace your in-dash unit. If you're lucky, it will only take a few DAYS and he won't screw up three other things in the process. By the way, YOU get to pay for a rental while Orville is attacking your dash a hack saw and an 18 inch screwdriver.

PS. They aren't called "STEALERSHIPS" for no reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TSB says if there's still active subscription showing in the map data details screen and the customer wants to update the maps, they're supposed to do it.

Does the TSB state that the maps will be updated? I believe my map version is form 2018 and was under the impression that updates are not free. I could be wrong as I never use the Nav, but that's what I remember when I tried to update them manually a few months ago just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
210 Posts
From TSB; “Before attempting to perform a map update, the head unit’s expiration date must be checked.”
To me this still means, charge customer before attempting any map update. I don’t see any language in the TSB that hints at a free map upgrade. Rather the whole TSB is for WHEN the dealership is performing a normal overprices Map Upgrade. I’m still rooting for you to get a free map upgrade. Be the best squeaky wheel you can be. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
345 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. I can't stand the built in Nav on mine. I wish there was an option to disable it completely. I prefer the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto nav so I can use the apps of my choice.

Hope you are able to get your data updated though. 🙂

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Have you guys checked out my thread regarding using the app?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts