Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just want to get a feel for the price for the RAV4 Prime these days. How much are the dealers marking up for the car? I have been trying to buy the SE so that it's cheaper but one dealer told me they barely produce the SE these days. I'm comparing the price between the RAV4 Prime and the Santa Fe PHEV. I have dealers willing to sell me the Santa Fe Limited at 56-57k OTD. Do you think I will be able to get something similar for the RAV4? I also live in Southern California. Would you also happen to know where I can check for the dealer allocations so I can know which dealers have incoming inventory?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Markups? Short answer: The sky's the limit!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
889 Posts
Hi,

Just want to get a feel for the price for the RAV4 Prime these days. How much are the dealers marking up for the car? I have been trying to buy the SE so that it's cheaper but one dealer told me they barely produce the SE these days. I'm comparing the price between the RAV4 Prime and the Santa Fe PHEV. I have dealers willing to sell me the Santa Fe Limited at 56-57k OTD. Do you think I will be able to get something similar for the RAV4? I also live in Southern California. Would you also happen to know where I can check for the dealer allocations so I can know which dealers have incoming inventory?

Thanks!
I took out a second mortgage for mine. My dealer only wanted a $128,000 markup over MSRP, but I talked him down to just $127,000 over MSRP. But with the tax credit it's actually less than $120,000 over MSRP!

I live in an off-the-grid commune in Northern California so I can only charge my car in town when I renew my tags once a year. My dealership is hard to find since you can only find it by chanting G̴̜͖͊̾l̸̖̅o̵͙̔͠r̴̡͌i̷̲͂͆o̶͍͈͒u̴̬͖͋̆s̴̡̓̓ ̶̙̣̐ǐ̵̼͔͘s̶̞͝͝ ̶̢̀͝ͅṱ̵̛͙͘ḫ̵̎e̷̫͂̉ ̷̟͒̈g̶͎͂r̴̨͐̿e̸̟̙̋a̸̘̱̎̕t̵̠̖̿͋ ̸͙͘Ṁ̸̠ȏ̵͓l̷̫̃̍a̴͜͝ͅẗ̶͈̜́a̴̠̮̾r̷̗̦̂͠

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime XSE PP Supersonic Red
47 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Poke around this forum and it will answer all your questions. Use the sticky top thread and educate yourself on the allocation spreadsheet. Pick the right dealer that gets a lot of Primes, be flexible on colors and options, and be prepared to wait 6-12 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
I use TrueCar | New & Used Cars for Sale | Car Pricing & Reviews to find the dealer has incoming cars and is available for sale.
On truecar.com some dealers will show you the % or how much the markup is.
Most of the cars listed on truecar.com have the VIN list already, so you have a better idea to track the car.
You can email or text multiple dealers to work on the price. I do not believe you go to the dealer can get a better price.
I am in the Los Angeles CA area, This works for me.
I have seen dealers mark up from 6% to 15000 for the past few months.
Dealers may not honor the price they list on truecar.com for any reason but you always can negotiate with the dealers.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +audio) Silver Sky Metallic
230 Posts
I’m afraid to even park mine on the street these days given how long it takes to get parts for these cars!
I’m only half-kidding. I actually just got the LP Adventure front bumper guard/skid plate for that reason, among others.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +audio) Silver Sky Metallic
230 Posts
But to answer your question… I bought my XSE a little over a year ago at Mountain States Toyota in Denver. Had to wait a few months but didn’t pay over MSRP.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Supersonic Red
296 Posts
I put a deposit on an SE last August and the car was delivered the end of October (Browns Toyota in Glen Burnie MD with no markup).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called 45 dealers today, in NY, MA, CT, NJ. Half offered me to put down a $2500 deposit to join a 6-9+ month waiting list at MSRP. The other half offered to put me on their allocation list with the specs I wanted and they would call me in 3-12 months when it came in, they didn't reveal their mark up. Almost all dealers said they had been fielding calls from as far away as Texas.

One dealer in NJ had one in almost the exact specs I wanted coming in 3 weeks that wasn't allocated. $2k deposit. Car was 5k over MSRP. I took it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I called 45 dealers today, in NY, MA, CT, NJ. Half offered me to put down a $2500 deposit to join a 6-9+ month waiting list at MSRP. The other half offered to put me on their allocation list with the specs I wanted and they would call me in 3-12 months when it came in, they didn't reveal their mark up. Almost all dealers said they had been fielding calls from as far away as Texas.

One dealer in NJ had one in almost the exact specs I wanted coming in 3 weeks that wasn't allocated. $2k deposit. Car was 5k over MSRP. I took it.
Well, if you want one, regardless of cost and PIA chasing one down, one can be bought. Personally, I’m quite sure the dealers and salesmen are buying champagne every night hoping the Primes will never be easily available, and counting their $. Basically, raking in thousands for doing nothing except taking off the plastic, washing the car, and fielding calls from crazy buyers. What a deal for them. Reminds me of vendors here in Florida post hurricanes selling water at huge prices, except people NEED water to live.

I like my Prime, but in my case it really was silly to trade my nice previous ICE vehicle and fork over $2,500 over MSRP.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime XSE PP Supersonic Red
47 Posts
The sales people want to sell. Having zero or near zero inventory on Primes and almost all other models is hurting them too. You think that markup is going to the sales person? I suspect it’s going to the dealership.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The sales people want to sell. Having zero or near zero inventory on Primes and almost all other models is hurting them too. You think that markup is going to the sales person? I suspect it’s going to the dealership.
No one knows except the individual dealer and salespeople. Regardless, even with low inventory, national dealer profits are WAY up. I know for a fact in my personal case the salesman and dealer took my trade and resold it in 3 days @ $6,000 over what they paid me. And no repairs or significant clean up was needed on my 2019 car. Then the same salesman sold me the Prime @ $2,500 over MSRP, plus a bunch of trash dealer and distributor add on items.
They are VERY happy right now. No pity for them.

·
Registered
2022 R4P SE Black Metallic
4 Posts
Maine dealers have some XSEs and SEs now. Berlin City (which seems to have several in stock) has a $5k mark-up. Shepard has a $1k mark-up, but no stock now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Any dealer in CA, or states that line the east coast from MD-CT are going to have the highest allocations. Don't both with any of the other states. Markups of 5k are pretty common on the east coast, and 10k or more in CA, you could wiggle a little bit from that amount though. Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime
209 Posts
100% true As someone who used to sell cars (a while ago though) the salespeople almost always get paid on volume of units sold not actual vehicle price. You could sell an RAV4 Prime for $90k and not get any of that markup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I finalized the deal for my Rav4 Prime SE

In the end, I paid slightly more than I had hoped, but I am still okay with the deal. I did not pay an exorbitant markup, though I did pay some fees which I thought could have ben lower, and paid a much higher price than may theoretically have been possible for the vehicle service plan that I bought. Here is the breakdown:
Base price: $39,800
Factory options/packages: $2,861 (includes weather/moonroof, all weather liner package, roof rack cross bars, rear bumper applique, protection package)
Delivery/processing/handling: $1,215
"Doc fee": $500
Taxes at 6.5%: around $3,000
title and license fees: $361
Vehicle service Plan (6 years, 75k miles): $2,995

OTD price: $50,811

If I had my choice, I would have skipped some of the options (protection package, rear bumper thing), and bought others later for slightly less (roof rack cross bars, all-weather liners), but I think I will eventually be glad to have the protection package, and would only have saved maybe $200-250 on the others. I call the options a wash.

The delivery/processing/handling fee appears to be consistent across every dealership and even between the R4P and R4Hybrid, so I pretty much consider that part of the base price.

The "Doc fee" is a little more nebulous. Thy said it's for out of state documents, but I'm not sure if it is technically required by law or what. It appeared to be consistent for most dealerships I shopped, except the in-state dealers had only $200 for their doc fee on the hybrids I looked at.

Tax is tax... don't like it? well... too bad.

Title and license fees seemed to be consistent between all dealers, and from what I understand those ARE pretty much fixed and required. I have no issues with it.

Now we get to the vehicle service plan... The dealership said "We are selling at MSRP but you have to either get a VSP or you have to get the paint protection VIP something-or-other..." I view this as basically the substitute for the markup, but I'm semi-okay with it because at least there is some value there.
I live 500 miles from the dealership so annual detailing and paint restoration at their shop has no real value to me. A longer warranty a least has some theoretical future value, and some very real peace-of-mind value for me. I "could" have paid less than half of what I did pay (or gotten longer coverage) and I pushed pretty hard, kept them on the phone for a long time, etc. but in the end, my sales guy leveled with me and said the demand for the R4P is so high that they are more or less unwilling to compromise on that point. As we all know, the demand is extremely high and I'm positive he could have sold the car in a heartbeat to the next buyer, likely with even more of a markup. I(In fact, the price on their website has already gone up).

After I did the paperwork online, my guy called me and said he felt bad that they couldn't do better on the VSP and he wanted to do something for me: "I'm going to get you a nice key chain, a hat, and see what other toyota accessories we have here that I can provide for no cost. I'm also going to get you a car service to pick you up at the airport and bring you here to pick up your new Rav4 Prime. No charge."

Maybe they pulled my leg, maybe not. They didn't have to provide a car service (and it's actually quite helpful for me), and although I have little interest in a toyota key chain or hat, that was at least a nice gesture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just took delivery June 30. SE Blueprint beautiful. MSRP + 500 doc fee. Got on waitlist early April. Was told 6 months by most selling at MSRP. Every MSRP dealer that I could find in MD then ended up calling me with a prime around the same week in May. Port of NY June 16, my MD dealer June 29. I turned several down from other dealers to get my favorite color. My salesman at Thompson said that he got calls from CA and so on offering Up to 10k extra to snake my baby away from me, because they displayed it on their website. I had a 1k deposit, so I would have sued if they screwed me. I got another offer from Sheehy Toyota. They have sent me several out of the blue emails offering primes without their normal website markup. Good luck to those who are still hunting!

The blueprint is very dark, looks black sometimes, purplish in some other light. I love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts