Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed an engine rattle at 42,xxx on my '01. I was pretty clueless, since duh, no one expects an engine problem at 42k! Turns out 1 of my engine bearings was spun, and 1 showed wear. I have no clue as to how it happened, and neither does Toyota. (Everyone has a different theory). My service receipt says leaking water pump.. the only thing I noticed that was odd was that the panel for the A/C controls sometimes got really hot and if you changed the radio station that the display would go out for a second or two.

After a mild battle with Toyota, they replaced the engine block and fixed everything else. I did have the infamous computer reprogramming for the emissions system and a sunroof leak, but nothing else. This is pretty unfortunate, as I was planning on keeping it until it really died, depending on how well the Cooper discoverers I just put on performed in the snow. (Already beats the Toyo's by far in the rain!)

Just wanted to share my disconcerting experince with my '01 low mile Rav.

·
Registered
685 Posts
OUCH!!!! Glad to hear Toyota is going to set it right!!!

I don't get the water pump connection......it leaks outside the block....
I have heard that a head gasket leaking antifreeze into the cylinders will strip the main bearings of oil........a more likely cause...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bluenoser said:
OUCH!!!! Glad to hear Toyota is going to set it right!!!

I don't get the water pump connection......it leaks outside the block....
I have heard that a head gasket leaking antifreeze into the cylinders will strip the main bearings of oil........a more likely cause...
Sweet, theory #4! How can one check that? They didn't put in a new head.. or whatever. Just the block. They did send out the head to get it remachined. It runs SO much better now, so I'm thinking it's been messed up a while. Unfortunately it'll be sitting at the airport for the next 2 weeks, so I can't see if the gasket was replaced, but I would think that they would catch that. (Or hope). I was planning on getting a '06 Rav in '08 or so, but since I don't like the new one, I'll probably go for an '05. Might do it sooner than later now - I think everyone's told me to ditch this one ASAP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They would have had to replace the head gasket once they took the head off.

I'd be thinking about keeping it now, considering youve literally got a rebuilt engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts