Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a picture of this from the LA Auto show and found its up on the Mazda site now. Hate to say it Toyota but it looks a hell of a lot better outside and in than the 06 RAV. No V6 but a nice turbo 4 (less weight on the front end) but other than that the only thing the new RAV has that it does not is the MP3 port. Price is similar to RAV also, unless you go for the high-end leather, nav system and HID lights (not available here in USA-hello Toyota- are you paying attention?) - Looks like Mazda is seriously in the game with this. Any one else think that Toyota needs to go back to the drawing board on the styling and features? I will withhold final judgment till I get a chance to test drive both but the Mazda is looking good. Any one else have a chance to look this over? Comments an the CX7 v. the RAV4?

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingCX7

http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4979/

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it drive anything like Mazda 6, it is going to be fun to drive this one for sure. I think Maza has a winner in CX-7.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree, it just looks like a 6 wagon on steroids. Mazda made a bold statement with their new look a few years ago but now all their cars look pretty much the same so it doesnt really do it for me looks wise. The turbo engine however would be a great base for tuning and modding.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Looks good. Definitely a more stylish alternative to the rather bland RAV4. Will appeal to those who prefer the style of something like a Murano. I don't know about in the US, but in Canada the expectation is that the CX-7 will be priced above the RAV4 anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info from Mazda

I recived this info from Mazda --Thanks for contacting Mazda.

A specification list of the CX-7 is available on our website at the
link below:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomin
gCX7

In regards to your inquiry, there has been no mention of having the
ability to play/plug-in an iPod or mp3. The vehicle will have a
smaller temporary spare tire.

Statistics on the ground clearance and towing capacity has not yet been
released. ---- Can't say that I like the mini-spare, got stuck a state away from a full size replacment on one of these once. Also its not like an audio input jack is expensive to include.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the way it looks.

I priced one up on their website....the reason I still lean toward the Rav4 though is the Mazda has a less powerful engine and more curb weight when compared to a similar equiped Rav4...and it isn't much cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Yeah, that $4000 "technology package" was ridiculous! :shock:
(Unfortunately, it includes a Navigation system and rear view camera that the RAV4 doesn't offer outside of Japan)

Also... the CX-7 doesn't get as good mileage (19/24 FWD, 18/24 AWD) or have the RAV's DVD entertainment system (in the near future anyway) and third row (joke that it is) capability...

Maxxed one out on options to make it a lofty $34,305... Yikes! :?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Despite the CX-7 having a 4 banger, I think its competition will come from the new highlander to be released in the fall...Same body style and I imagine similiar price and mpg but with higher performance from the highlander -- just a guess.

My other guess is the new Rav's biggest competition will come from the yet to be released new CR-V..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Mazda has a sick interior (including NAV!!!).

And a Bose sound system (as compared to the JBL in the RAV).

I like the interior... but not a fan of the outside.. and not a fan of Mazda....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to be nicher vehicle than Rav4. I like the way it looks, although it is pretty much the Mazda look, it my grow common soon enough.

Few points in Rav4 favour
- more affordable with both 4cly and V6
- Rav4 has V6 with more HP
- Rav4 is between 300lbs and 400lbs lighter
- Rav4 has much, much better mpg
- Rav4 is SMALLER
- Rav4 has bigger tunk
- Rav4 has more head room
- Rav4 has a lot more leg room at back

I like how Mazda looks, but it seems to me that they have managed to make larger vehicle outside, smaller inside, and performance it is not close to RAV4 - it is heavier and it has small turbo engine which is not that good for larger SUV. Its mpg is completly different world than Rav4, due to turbo, higher cd, and heavier vehicle.

Plus, comparably equipped, it is some 2k more than V6 Rav4...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts