Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new custom MDX antenna and will be installing it as soon as it gets here. It will go on the rear of the roof. If anyone is interested I will take some pictures of the installation and do a D.I.Y.
So let me know, if not I will just put it on and save the time of taking pictures.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derek,
I thought I remembered you installed the Shark Attack II on your RAV. The only area I haven't been in to is the head liner in the rear. How easy does the molding come off around the side window?
Mike had the custom MDX on sale and I like the alunimum part on the mast. It will go with my spare tire cover.
Improved reception is my goal, but it will look good too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the antenna - doesn't look like there is any interest in a D.I.Y - Derek has already done this - so I will just drill the hole and hook it up and see how it does and not spend the time taking a lot of pictures.
The one I got has three shafts, can be 6", 7" or 11" . I think I will got with the 7" for now.
Now the wife wants one for her RAV4 too!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I just want to know more about the antenna you bought, because I have been thinking about upgrading mine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are several you can go with, and I am sure from many different companies. I will not take off the current antenna, too much trouble to take it out and fill the hole. I will just push it all the way down and leave it there. The new one will go on the rear of the roof, like there are on the VW.
This is where I got mine.
http://www.locustom.com/antennas.htm
Derek, I think has the Shark Attack II on his.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Stelly, sorry for the late reply... been really busy at work lately. :cry: Anyways, the headliner does not need to be fully removed; just pushed down a bit. Just remove a few screws and plastic clips from the side panels and loosen the side moulding. Then pull down the ceiling moulding. I think I also took off the rear ceiling hatch light as well so that the headliner could be pulled down more, not sure though. After loosening the side panels and removing that plastic trim, you should be able to pull down the headliner abit. Before drilling the hole though, you might want to shove a towel in between the roof and the headliner so that you do not accidentally drill into the headliner.

Just remember to position the hole for the antenna mount equidistant from each side and a bit in from the edge of the rear hatch. As for routing the antenna cable, I went along the top edge behind the plastic moulding. Above the rear passenger side door moulding, then down the B-pillar, underneath the door entry kickpanel and up and behind the glove compartment to the radio.

Good luck with the install. :D If you have time to take a picture of the MDX antenna on your RAV, that would be great; just curious to see how they look on our RAVs. I am thinking of installing a shark fin style antenna like those on most current European sedans. Not too sure about the reception on those style antennas though. :D

p.s. I just remembered, it would be a good idea to throw a bead of silicone sealant between the antenna base and roof (especially around the hole both on top and underneath) to prevent water leakage. So far, mine's has held up quite well with the silicone in place.

·
Registered
986 Posts
How long did it take you start to finish, and how hard was it? Did you run the antenna cable along the headliner to the front, or down along the floor?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has the booster in it, that is the main reason I put it on. I drive in a real hilly rural area and my reception fades out in some places. I replaced my old 5-7 db gain cell phone antenna with Wilson 10-15 db gain antenna and it almost got rid of the dead spots, so I hope this will for radio reception. I will know Monday.
It took a little over an hour. But I have had this all apart before except for the molding around the headliner. I ran the wire in the same place the wires and tubing for the rear washer are run along the right side of the car under the door sill molding.
I ran wires there before to my rear flashing light system.

J

·
0 Posts
Yo, Stelly, :)

Stelly said:
It has the booster in it, that is the main reason I put it on. I drive in a real hilly rural area and my reception fades out in some places. I replaced my old 5-7 db gain cell phone antenna with Wilson 10-15 db gain antenna and it almost got rid of the dead spots, so I hope this will for radio reception. I will know Monday.
So, how'd it go? Are you seeing a dramatic improvement in your reception?? Enquiring minds want to know!

---Jason

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This is an OLD topic, I know.....

But has anyone been able to find a SHORT or stubby antenna that is a direct replacement for the huge stock RC-car-looking antenna we have?

I'm starting to hate the look of mine. My car looks like an RC-buggy..... :x

Anyone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts