Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, ladies and gentlemen, I am Azeem and I own a 2010 Toyota Rav4 Base 2.4L Inline 4. It's completely bone stock I got it brand new with 9 miles on it. I am about to reach 200K very soon. I have many problems with the car which is why I have joined this forum. :surprise

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Welcome but there is no need for such bold and loud text. Where are you? In North America the 2.4l massive oil burner was dropped after 2008. I can't believe they still use it in 2010 even in a foreign country. If you live in the USA and have a 2010 Rav4 it is a 2.5l engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad with the large font and bold font. Your right, it is a 2.5L. I live in New York, an hour and a half north of Manhattan. Do you know what could be possible reasons for my Rav4 to be having a very low gas mileage lately? Every 3 days I need to fill up gas. I haven't done any engine work to the car.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
What fuel mileage are you getting? Only accurate way is to fill the tank, keep the odo record of miles driven, then when refilling the tank use division to divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons required to refill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually fill the gas up when the tanks at around Quarter Tank. My tank holds approximately 16 gallons which means that when I fill up I usually have 4 gallons remaining. I drive +/- 50 miles to work every day which means around +/- 100 miles every day for 5 days. On the weekend I go to work and that's +/- 35 miles which means around +/- 70 miles on the weekends. I filled up my tank on October 20th and refilled October 23rd both on my way back from work. The gas station is 30 miles from my house. This means in those 4 says I drove ~235. 235 miles in +/- 12 gallons of fuel. Now that's ~20 miles to the gallon. 20 miles to the gallon isn't the best mpg and it's lower then when I bought it for sure, of course its 7 years after I bought the car and I should expect it. But 235 miles in 3/4 of a tank isn't good. Granted I did only use approximations, when I fill up the tank again I'm gonna actually use the odometer and figure out what the actual mpg the car is giving. It stacks up when I go on long road trips like to Indianapolis. What used to only be a 2 fill up trip has turned into a 3 or sometimes 4 fill up trip. Remember I haven't done any engine work to the car. I only replaced one spark plug in cylinder 1 because it was misfiring but that's it (I'm not counting oil changes). I need a new radiator hose, upper and lower because mine is leaking coolant A LOT, but that's for a different post. Would replacing the other 3 spark plugs help mpg? What should I do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts