Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Potential owner here looking to live fulltime on the road out of the RAV4 Hybrid (why hybrid? Because w/ the batteries I can heat/cool myself while on the road).

I was wondering if someone could measure the rear cargo area for me? Specifically I'm interested in fitting a mattress for solo trips like:

Basically I'd want to know what the measurement is from the backside of the passenger seat (with the seat pushed all the way forward) to the rear hatch, as well as the width of the rear cargo area, and whatever other measurements you might thing would be helpful (how wide are the seats in the rear? The 60/40 split?)

A massive draw to this vehicle is the ground clearance over the prius and ability to get to more remote campsites.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't help you on the exact measurements as I'm still only a potential owner myself. However, I had thought about sleeping in it for the occasional road trips and camping trips, too. I looked at one at the dealer and I think the downside for doing it in the hybrid is the lack of flat cargo floor. Not only don't the back seats fold fold flat, but there's a also a bump in the floor. Someone in this thread made a build to flatten the back and this might work for a bed and storage. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/231369-anyone-figured-out-how-flatten-cargo-space.html

I think it could still work for the occasional camping or road trip, but if you're planning on living out of it full time, I feel like it might get pretty cramped.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello,

Potential owner here looking to live fulltime on the road out of the RAV4 Hybrid (why hybrid? Because w/ the batteries I can heat/cool myself while on the road).

I was wondering if someone could measure the rear cargo area for me? Specifically I'm interested in fitting a mattress for solo trips like:

Basically I'd want to know what the measurement is from the backside of the passenger seat (with the seat pushed all the way forward) to the rear hatch, as well as the width of the rear cargo area, and whatever other measurements you might thing would be helpful (how wide are the seats in the rear? The 60/40 split?)

A massive draw to this vehicle is the ground clearance over the prius and ability to get to more remote campsites.

Many thanks!
Ok here are dimensions you basically asked for:
-Max length, rear hatch to front seat all the way forward (front seatback not inclined, just at regular upright position): Approx 80in. Since the back hatch curves, you have a little less length at the edge of the car and a little more towards the middle.
-Width of hatch:
min: 42in (at wheels)
max: 52in
-Width of the seatbacks (max measurement)
60part: 29"
40part: 19"

From what I can tell, you are a resourceful person who likes to be off the beaten path so I am sure what I have to say will not be an obstacle for you, but just things you will need to work out:
1) As already stated the hatch area and folded seat back is not completely flat. Towards the back of the hatch (well actually towards the front of the vehicle if you know what I mean) there is a hump for what more looks like an area to allow for air flow/circulation to cool the batteries. After all its not like there are batteries immediately under those couple of inches under the hump.
2) Although you have 80" of total length there is a large area between the top of the folded seatback to the front seat that is unsupported in space. So you would have to put something there to support your head/shoulders or feet, depending upon which way you want to sleep.

Given you like to go camping off the beaten path I am sure you are a resourceful person and have not been deterred by conditions that are not as flat and comfortable as your mattress at home. So I do think you have enough space and can make some tweaks to flatten and fill space as necessary to make things work.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
A pic is worth a thousand words, here's a pic of the seats folded showing the angle you're dealing with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys/girls very much for the details. Could you provide more info on the vent for the battery? It's not apparent in the picture. Also, I wonder how difficult it is to remove the horizontal and vertical portions of the rear seat behind the driver? I figure that'd make it easier to level things out for the "bed."

From the picture, the 60% of the rear seat is behind the driver, so that is where the bed would go.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you guys/girls very much for the details. Could you provide more info on the vent for the battery? It's not apparent in the picture. Also, I wonder how difficult it is to remove the horizontal and vertical portions of the rear seat behind the driver? I figure that'd make it easier to level things out for the "bed."

From the picture, the 60% of the rear seat is behind the driver, so that is where the bed would go.
I attached a couple of pics to show what the vent for the battery looks like. It does not appear removable in any way.

Now with regards to the seats, from what I read on some other threads the seat bottom can be removed. You just need to pull up on it, but even then, apparently the seat back still does not fold completely flat. Removing the seat back does not seem to be a trivial undertaking and even if you removed it you do not have a contiguous 60% width to work with. There is a pretty significant hinge in the middle portion that probably cannot be removed. So you are still stuck with at most 40% width to work with. So it wouldn't make sense to remove the 60% part of the seat back. Picture also enclosed so you can see what you are dealing with.

Anyhow, sleeping in the Rav4 hybrid looks like it will have some compromises to comfort, that will require some resourcefulness to get around.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
I attached a couple of pics to show what the vent for the battery looks like. It does not appear removable in any way.

Now with regards to the seats, from what I read on some other threads the seat bottom can be removed. You just need to pull up on it, but even then, apparently the seat back still does not fold completely flat. Removing the seat back does not seem to be a trivial undertaking and even if you removed it you do not have a contiguous 60% width to work with. There is a pretty significant hinge in the middle portion that probably cannot be removed. So you are still stuck with at most 40% width to work with. So it wouldn't make sense to remove the 60% part of the seat back. Picture also enclosed so you can see what you are dealing with.

Anyhow, sleeping in the Rav4 hybrid looks like it will have some compromises to comfort, that will require some resourcefulness to get around.
HI Algonquin, i sleep in my 60/40 split rav4 with rear seats folded down. The uneven area over the hybrid battery can be smoothed out
but the slight angle/incline is still there. You can adjust the spare tire cover and connect the board to meet the height where the battery cover is higher than the cargo space. This eliminates the eneven "plateau" where the battery cover juts out from the main cargo space.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Here's a pic of the cargo floor with the deck board adjusted to remove the step.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts