Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Rav4 V4. Yesterday, I took it to the mechanic for a simple brake/rotor job. I come back an hour later and I see my car in the shop with the hood up. The owner immediately apologized and told me we have bad news.
Apparently when they were testing the new brakes, the mechanic drove through a huge puddle (we were in a flash flood warning) and water got into the intake and cylinders 1 and 2.
They admitted fault and told me they would do everything necessary to get me back on the road ASAP. I got a voicemail around closing time today. The owner said things were progressing smoothly and the new engine should be installed by tomorrow evening.

It sounds like I'm getting a brand new or rebuilt engine. I don't whether to be happy or upset about this ordeal. :confused:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
TO start off you don't have a v4...if it's a 4 cylinder then it's an I4 or inline 4...secondly once the engine is all done I would take it to Toyota and have them make sure it's done right...also monitor it for oil consumption...you may also want to ask Toyota if they will still do the extended warranty repairs since the engine was replaced...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you may also want to ask Toyota if they will still do the extended warranty repairs since the engine was replaced...
Funny thing is I took it in for the oil consumption test 4 weeks ago, it failed the test, and the part is on back order. They should be contacting me soon to do the fix. I might just play dumb at Toyota and let them do the recall work on my "new" engine.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would absolutely ask them where the engine came from. If they just pulled it from a junkyard car, you have no idea how many miles were on it, how well it was taken care of (oil changes, etc.) and such.

At least find out if it was rebuilt just before being put in your car.

Or did they rebuild your original engine?

If not, then maybe also find out if it's the 2.4L or if they wound up putting a 2.5L (more common to find) in it. Not sure what Toyota would think if they dropped the 2.5L in it, but you'd probably appreciate the added power and permanent lack of oil consumption.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a call from the insurance company representing the auto repair shop. They called to confirm the make/model of the car and confirm what happened. Must've been an expensive repair if they filed an insurance claim. It sounds like they are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have a 2006 Rav4 V4. Yesterday, I took it to the mechanic for a simple brake/rotor job. I come back an hour later and I see my car in the shop with the hood up. The owner immediately apologized and told me we have bad news.
Apparently when they were testing the new brakes, the mechanic drove through a huge puddle (we were in a flash flood warning) and water got into the intake and cylinders 1 and 2.
They admitted fault and told me they would do everything necessary to get me back on the road ASAP. I got a voicemail around closing time today. The owner said things were progressing smoothly and the new engine should be installed by tomorrow evening.

It sounds like I'm getting a brand new or rebuilt engine. I don't whether to be happy or upset about this ordeal. :confused:
Couple things.....you can't just say: "it sounds like", etc. You need to ask exactly what are they putting in your car. Secondly, in subsequent posts you mentioned you are waiting for the Toyota oil-usage fix. I'd say your situation is about to become very complicated. I wouldn't "play dumb" with Toyota as they'll certainly notice something when they go to replace or repair your original engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts