Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts
This sounds kinda crazy to me. Any pictures?

Reactions: RTexasF

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
243 Posts
This sounds kinda crazy to me. Any pictures?
Hmmmm....I think this is the first post seen with this problem. Since they have sold about 3/4 million RAV4’s since your purchase, many in warmer climates than GA ( how about Phoenix Az ), this doesn’t seem plausible. Only one mirror ? Do you park somewhere that would expose this particular mirror to higher than typical heat ? Sounds like you are still under warranty but the dealer is not buying the weather condition story. Maybe it’s just a one off bad mirror housing if both are not experiencing the same condition. That’s what I would try to sell the dealership on. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
243 Posts
Purchased in Oct 2019 ? You have already been through at least 1 summer, it didn't melt then ? I like the vandalism theory.

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts
Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?
Is this a April fools' day joke? Plastics melt around 200C (or 400F) so the cause is not something natural.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
166 Posts
Don't believe it for a second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my sidemirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?
My 2019 RAV 4 is also having melting issues! Both exterior side mirror housings are appear to have melted and now the black strip on the roof as well as a portion of the window trim on the drivers window. So disappointing! I had the Toyota dealer in my hone town to look at it and they said they had never seen this but would get back to me. That was two months ago—no word. I called Toyota’s home office today and they told me to have a local dealer inspect it. Toyota needs to replace these defective parts! I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna and have never had this issue.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
243 Posts
Will somebody post the pictures of their melting mirrors ? The OP and Callie are new to the site with the same issue. OP has never been heard from again.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My 2019 RAV 4 is also having melting issues! Both exterior side mirror housings are appear to have melted and now the black strip on the roof as well as a portion of the window trim on the drivers window. So disappointing! I had the Toyota dealer in my hone town to look at it and they said they had never seen this but would get back to me. That was two months ago—no word. I called Toyota’s home office today and they told me to have a local dealer inspect it. Toyota needs to replace these defective parts! I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna and have never had this issue.
Post pictures, please!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Will somebody post the pictures of their melting mirrors ? The OP and Callie are new to the site with the same issue. OP has never been heard from again.
I don't believe mirrors could melt under normal situation. There was a post about window trim melt but it was caused by heat gun during wrapping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't believe mirrors could melt under normal situation. There was a post about window trim melt but it was caused by heat gun during wrapping.
For heat energy to melt the mirrors beyond normal ambient expectations there would have to be a defect in the electrical circuit resulting with in the housing but origin in a command circuit.
Off the top of my head the mirror heater, BSM light and position motor. I do not known in this case but typically the ground is the make and break from the brain box. If the mirror heater finds a way to ground via a wiring defect or brain box with high ambient and sun light its plausible to see deformity in the plastic. I would also look into the A pillar lower trim that is held on with nylon clips in tension sealing a factory mount hole, that seal may have failed as it is a poor design . With rain water over time the true source of the gremlin.

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have a similar issue with my door frame molding/trim having a "melted" appearance. We have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE.

The last few posts on the thread below sound closer to my issue but I suspect "solar convergence" may be to blame as well?

I have yet to contact Toyota or the dealership but it sounds like most of the people who did are getting the same responses.

Here are some photos.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
243 Posts
I think I have a similar issue with my door frame molding/trim having a "melted" appearance. We have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE.

The last few posts on the thread below sound closer to my issue but I suspect "solar convergence" may be to blame as well?

I have yet to contact Toyota or the dealership but it sounds like most of the people who did are getting the same responses.

Here are some photos.
View attachment 167029 View attachment 167030
Now I'm a believer. If the car sits in one spot ( same spot every day ) I would invest in new trim pieces and a car cover.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I googled other automakers and attached solar convergence and got nothing. Googled "Toyota solar convergence" and you get all kinds of hits.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts