Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I googled other automakers and attached solar convergence and got nothing. Googled "Toyota solar convergence" and you get all kinds of hits.
So what's in the Toyota plastic trim that makes it susceptible to heat, perhaps another lawsuit in the making.
Plastic part on the door is melted (picture attached)

CRV's have the same issue, likely other manufacturer's as well. Don't know, guess is may have something to do with materials/paint required to meet EPA standards ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will somebody post the pictures of their melting mirrors ? The OP and Callie are new to the site with the same issue. OP has never been heard from again.
PICTURES PROVIDED
My 2019 Rav4 also experienced this same issue, "melting" of the driver's side review mirror. This morning the dealership told me it was my fault and not covered by any warranty. I first noticed this a few months ago but got the dealership to look at it today. My vehicle is parked in a garage and is primarily driven in a smaller town with no highly reflective hi-rise buildings. I also very seriously doubt vandalism. I kept pursuing the point with the service manage until he said I should not try to con Toyota. At that point I just left.

So you know I am not spamming, trolling etc. here the pics.

To all of you who are discounting this, let me assure you, it is extremely frustrating to not be taken seriously be anyone (especially the dealership). I was told today by the dealership that they had never heard of it, yet there are multiple complaints on this forum alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
168 Posts
I googled other automakers and attached solar convergence and got nothing. Googled "Toyota solar convergence" and you get all kinds of hits.
“Solar convergence from buildings” gives you plenty of returns, are two examples:

But I agree that it would have been better if the OP posted some images of her (melted) mirrors.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
528 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?
Some of the models of 5th generation Rav 4 have heating elements built into the mirrors that turn on automatically with the defroster of the climate control. It is supposed to shut off after a certain period of time. If this malfunctioned it could possibly overheat and melt the plastic. Also I wonder if some sort of short in the wiring inside the mirror housing or the internal adjustment mechanism itself could be overheating without blowing a fuse and causing these reported melting cases.

·
Registered
120 Posts
“Solar convergence from buildings” gives you plenty of returns, are two examples:

But I agree that it would have been better if the OP posted some images of her (melted) mirrors.

Those are older posts too. I haven't heard of this being an issue until recently. And I read a lot. You would think that someone would have heard about it 10 years ago as far as affecting automobiles. I'm sure it has something to do with poor quality materials and Toyota is passing it off as this. I find it ironic too that it is the same areas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only way those of you with this issue are going to get anywhere with Toyota is to complain to the FTC. They are the government agency that enforces warranties. The FTC will not do much unless they start getting substantial complaints about the same thing. Toyota isn't going to do anything for the customer unless the government forces their hand. Toyota knows it is defective materials.

I know the link says fraud, but this is where you make a formal complaint.

I know all of this because of my fighting with Toyota on my paint issues.

In my last repair in their report Toyota said I was too vigorous with the clay bar. But he doesn't mention I was just as vigorous on the area that was repaired last year and the paint stayed. I have clayed numerous cars and the paint doesn't come off with a clay bar unless there is a problem. I will post a picture of it in my paint issue thread when I have time. It is definitely slanted towards them and tries to make it sound like the customer (me) screwed it up.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think I have a similar issue with my door frame molding/trim having a "melted" appearance. We have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE.

The last few posts on the thread below sound closer to my issue but I suspect "solar convergence" may be to blame as well?

I have yet to contact Toyota or the dealership but it sounds like most of the people who did are getting the same responses.

Here are some photos.
Did you use heat gun to work near it?

·
Registered
605 Posts
. . . . . but does the melting resolve the vibration in the mirror?

Bada Bing

I'll be here all week, try the veal

Reactions: DANA44 and KenD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?
I have a 2020 4runner that I purchased in October 2020, same problem. I am going to take it to the Toyota dealer this weekend to deal with it. It is only my passenger side though. I did have a 2014 rav4 several years ago that had a melting issue on the passenger side door around the window and they fixed it. They said they had seen it before and knew about the problem. So I would say this is a new problem and they won't fix it until there are multiple claims on it.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
99 Posts
I have a 2020 4runner that I purchased in October 2020, same problem. I am going to take it to the Toyota dealer this weekend to deal with it. It is only my passenger side though. I did have a 2014 rav4 several years ago that had a melting issue on the passenger side door around the window and they fixed it. They said they had seen it before and knew about the problem. So I would say this is a new problem and they won't fix it until there are multiple claims on it.
View attachment 167297
I think you'll be wasting your time. That's almost certainly a lighter burn. I've seen plenty of those around children playgrounds.

That doesn't mean there isn't an actual problem with melting mirrors besides vandalism and solar convergence. But I doubt yours is it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you'll be wasting your time. That's almost certainly a lighter burn. I've seen plenty of those around children playgrounds.

That doesn't mean there isn't an actual problem with melting mirrors besides vandalism and solar convergence. But I doubt yours is it.

It most definitely is NOT a lighter burn. I actually just called the Toyota dealer in my area and was told they would take care of it and they knew about the issue. I had the same problem with my Rav4, just in a different area of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
With an absence of soot the origins seems less likely to be from a lighter more likely internal to the mirror body. It would be interesting to see the internals and wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s my 2019 Toyota RAV4. It was fixed by them last year and this happened again.
They are saying split convergence when my car was parked in a different place for work and home…

·
Registered
120 Posts
Toyota can claim solar convergence all they want. It is just crappy material ingredients. I left this disposable paint tray out for probably less than 30 minutes to dry in the sun. You can see for yourself what happened to it. Same issue with Toyota parts. Solar convergence is just their way to avoid warranty work. Like I mentioned above with the link, everybody that has this issue needs to complain to the FTC. Going above regional Toyota may be beneficial too. Toyota North America Corporate office is in Plano Texas.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
This has "Class Action" written all over it; it's baked into the body panels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No your Rav 4 was not vandalized. My 2015 Rav 4 is doing the same thing. Toyota claims I must have parked somewhere close to a tin roof and the sun from the tin roof melted my passenger side mirror. The casing between my drivers side door and my back door is also melting. Toyota won't do anything for me. I live in York PA. Let me know if you get any help from them. This problem should be a recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmmm....I think this is the first post seen with this problem. Since they have sold about 3/4 million RAV4’s since your purchase, many in warmer climates than GA ( how about Phoenix Az ), this doesn’t seem plausible. Only one mirror ? Do you park somewhere that would expose this particular mirror to higher than typical heat ? Sounds like you are still under warranty but the dealer is not buying the weather condition story. Maybe it’s just a one off bad mirror housing if both are not experiencing the same condition. That’s what I would try to sell the dealership on. Good luck.
My Rav 4 the same thing happened to me. Toyota makes up excuses.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts