Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
250 Posts
My Rav 4 the same thing happened to me. Toyota makes up excuses.
I'm a believer now. Many people have posted photos exhibiting their melted body parts. The OP posted and never provided photos which lead to some skepticism. Like I said in a previous post it would be time to buy a car cover for me if I was parking for long periods of time in a particular place and experiencing this. Apparently other car brands other than Toyota have had the same issue.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
528 Posts
Everyone should use either 303 Protectant or something like Turtle Wax Ice Seal&Shine on these plastic mirrors and body parts. They both protect against UV rays and may help to some extent - however small - to prevent melting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?
I'll show you pics
Everyone should use either 303 Protectant or something like Turtle Wax Ice Seal&Shine on these plastic mirrors and body parts. They both protect against UV rays and may help to some extent - however small - to prevent melting.
We had no idea this would happen to our cars. I bought my Rav 4 November 2014. It's a 2015, for 30,000.00. This problem should be a
I'm 66 years old and have never had a car this happened to. This should be a recall on Rav4 's. I know there are a lot more people that this has happened to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i'm new here. I purchased a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid back in October 2019 and my side mirror is melting - they are blaming it on "solar convergence" and they do not want to pay to fix it. I currently have a case open with Toyota and plan to pursue it as far as I need to. I absolutely love the vehicle but am very disappointed that in such little time i'm already experiencing problems. I live in Augusta, GA. I purchased it nearing the winter. It hasn't even gotten hot here (we experience extremely hot weather 100 degrees or more in the summer) and i'm worried this is going to continue to be an issue. If it is, I want to get rid of the vehicle. Did anyone have any success with their issue?

I have the 19 Rav4 Hybrid and have the same issue and was told the same thing. Toyota does know of this issue but not a recall yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Rav4 TRD wheels have discolored. Could the solar convergence have caused my black rims to discolor?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
At least they didn't melt.
Yea, my side mirror casing has melted. Toyota won't do a damn thing. I have a 2015 Rav 4 with 21,000 miles on it and I have to deal with melting side mirror and my casing around the drivers side door is also melting.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea, my side mirror casing has melted. Toyota won't do a damn thing. I have a 2015 Rav 4 with 21,000 miles on it and I have to deal with melting side mirror and my casing around the drivers side door is also melting.
If you can, please post photos where we can be aware of what to look for.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
250 Posts
That really sucks and shouldn't happen. Seems most having these problems tend to park outside at home or work for long periods of time in the same spot. You have to wonder if there is some kind of solar effect or reflection as mentioned in previous posts. I would change out the parts and throw a cover on the car if the parking outside for extended periods. I have a 2019H as well and haven't experienced anything like this. 3 to 4 days a week driving all day from sunup to sundown but parked in the garage when not in use. Self employed with a home office so my car never sits in the same place for any extended period of time. Again, Toyota's are not the only car brand experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 19 Rav4 Hybrid and have the same issue and was told the same thing. Toyota does know of this issue but not a recall yet.
Check mytoyotamelted.com and toyotafail on Instagram. I understand they are trying to use lighter plastics but think of how much warping/melting this vehicle will have in the coming year or two. I’m very disappointed and my dealer, despite seeing this issue 3x in 1 day (yep he told me that) does not think this is Toyota’s problem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It would be nice to know what has changed at Toyota are they using a cheaper plastic than before which has problems under extreme heat. Hate to think what's happening to Toyota vehicles in the Middle East or African countries or in places like Australia.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
99 Posts
It would be nice to know what has changed at Toyota are they using a cheaper plastic than before which has problems under extreme heat.
I don't know about cheaper but "lighter" has been a goal for everyone for a while. That rarely happens without sacrificing something. Throw in some environmental concerns and it's easy to imagine that the plastic used today is not as good as that from 30 years ago.

Or it could simply be that we hear about the problems more because of the internet. Even just 20 years ago, if it didn't happen to a neighbor or a relative, most people didn't hear about it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't know about cheaper but "lighter" has been a goal for everyone for a while. That rarely happens without sacrificing something. Throw in some environmental concerns and it's easy to imagine that the plastic used today is not as good as that from 30 years ago.

Or it could simply be that we hear about the problems more because of the internet. Even just 20 years ago, if it didn't happen to a neighbor or a relative, most people didn't hear about it.
True about internet. Also the automotive plastic used in the 1970s through 2000 was largely ABS which was a tremendous fire hazard. If it came into contact with an ignition source it burned furiously and emitted toxic fumes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PICTURES PROVIDED
My 2019 Rav4 also experienced this same issue, "melting" of the driver's side review mirror. This morning the dealership told me it was my fault and not covered by any warranty. I first noticed this a few months ago but got the dealership to look at it today. My vehicle is parked in a garage and is primarily driven in a smaller town with no highly reflective hi-rise buildings. I also very seriously doubt vandalism. I kept pursuing the point with the service manage until he said I should not try to con Toyota. At that point I just left.

So you know I am not spamming, trolling etc. here the pics.

To all of you who are discounting this, let me assure you, it is extremely frustrating to not be taken seriously be anyone (especially the dealership). I was told today by the dealership that they had never heard of it, yet there are multiple complaints on this forum alone.
Curious, did this just suddenly happen or is this something that has been progressing over time? It seems like this might be a fluke that you parked somewhere once where there was a concentrated beam of light. If this is progressively getting worse and you're not parking in the same spot that would be an interesting claim for a defective part. I was in automotive 25 years ago and at least at that time, automotive plastics when through significant environmental testing. I don't see where Toyota would miss such a basic design flaw for general application. It would have to be a exceptional condition outside of their normal testing procedures. The glass transition temperature of ABS, which is most likely what they used is 221 F. So you'd need to be somewhere where it got that hot.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Curious, did this just suddenly happen or is this something that has been progressing over time? It seems like this might be a fluke that you parked somewhere once where there was a concentrated beam of light. If this is progressively getting worse and you're not parking in the same spot that would be an interesting claim for a defective part. I was in automotive 25 years ago and at least at that time, automotive plastics when through significant environmental testing. I don't see where Toyota would miss such a basic design flaw for general application. It would have to be a exceptional condition outside of their normal testing procedures. The glass transition temperature of ABS, which is most likely what they used is 221 F. So you'd need to be somewhere where it got that hot.
You think manufacturers are still using ABS? I have read they went to different formulations. I am sure the RAV4 dash is definitely not an ABS plastic.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
250 Posts
My very uneducated thoughts/guess. Almost all auto brands have parts manufactured by outside vendors, and there are possibly some parts manufactures that utilize a slightly different process or chemicals for their parts. This melting issue is happening to other brands beside Toyota. If all the parts were manufactured exactly the same I would think the problem would be rampant in places like Arizona or Las Vegas with consistent 100 - 118 degree temperatures throughout the summer. Toyota would need to track the complaints and the source of the parts for each complaint to determine if the defective plastic is coming from one or more suppliers. Good luck getting them to undertake that project. It would be interesting for someone that has had the melting problem, and replaced the damaged part or parts, to advise if the new parts reacted the same way or they never had the problem again. I would think that could point to possible manufacturing inconsistencies.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts