Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, since today is Sunday. I'm a little more rested I can give you guess some insight of how it went.

First of all, installing the header is not that difficult.

1. First of all, you must uninstall the splash guards with a 10mm ratchet.

2. Remove the alternator so you can work. There is a nut, that without the alternator it is a lot easier to reach. All this is done on the ground, no jack needed.

3. After you lift you RAV4 in a Hydraulic jack. [Always use floor jack stands just in case.] It gets easier, go to the OEM Catalytic Converter, using a 14mm wrench remove the two front nuts.

4. Go to the front exhaust manifold and remove the three nuts that hold the pipe that goes to the catalytic converter. You will then see the front Catalytic Converter still on the manifold. You will also see the second O2 sensor. With a 7/8 SAE you can do that one. Use Heat or WD40. I guess it is better with heat.

5. Remove the Manifold bolts. These are easy, use a 14 mm wrench of ratchet. If you have an air ratchet, you’re on your way.

6. With a RUBBER hammer and a loooong crow bar you can remove the exhaust manifold from the head. Careful, you are going to reuse the exhaust metal gasket. But you will need some elbow grease here. It will fight you a little.

7. Once that is out, Install the 3SFE Header [I used the Pace Setter PSM-70-1155] Price, $156.39.

8. Go to the exhaust manifold that you uninstall and with the 12mm wrench remove the top O2 sensor. It has two bolts. But don't install it on the header yet. Keep it standing by.

9. Assure yourself that metal OEM head gasket is in place and straight. Install the header. It won't be an easy fit. It will also fight you. But eventually it will give in. As long as you align the studs, you can drive it home with some WD-40. Gradually torque the nuts in a Zig zag pattern. :arrow: .'. .'. 246513

a. You will notice that the header will touch the fan housing. With a strong screw driver you can bent the housing so it won't rub the header. Be careful not to lock the fan. Move it a little and rotate the fan and check for free movement.

10- And, that pretty much is about it. The rest is the muffler shop that has to weld in the rest of your muffler. Remember to weld the second O2 sensor AFTER the Catalytic converter. Route the wires using the brake lines and plastic straps. The first O2 bolt it on the existing O2 sensor on the header. It WILL clear the front engine mount. But about a quarter of an inch. Be careful not to bend the Sensor. They are not cheap. :roll:

I tried to place all the flexible, Cat converter and Resonator with the muffler in the straight line. It is a little difficult. Clearance, Gas tanks and other factors didn't let it go in a straight line. But more or less you can do a semi-straight line up.

Pictures I'll post tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, how does it sound? Like a Bee. When I shift, it sounds boomy. Performance, I have the need for more speed. :roll: :wink:
Any questions guys, let me know. 8)

To install the Header was quite easy. No major problems here.

To centralize it was easy. It has 7 chassis lines that I just used the middle one. Simple. You will also need a liquid leveler.

As you can see, a clear view. No hanging pipes, nothing. A lot better when the road gets ruff, clearance is a must.

Here is the second O2 sensor after the Performance Cat. Conv.

Here is the Flex pipe with the Cat. Con.. Oh yeah, that is my nephew Honda in the back ground.

8)
:p

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice job Mensajero!

Didn't you buy the header wrap?

Which part do you think gives the best bang for the buck?
1. Header
2. Free flow catalytic
3. Perfornace muffler

If you had to do it in steps, which would you do first?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I bought the Header Wrap. As soon as it comes in, I'll install it. Which gives more bangs for the buck is a little difficult to say. Since I install all at once. But as long as you can align the exhaust with out any drastic curves, it will work fine. Especially in high gear. One comment my brother gave me. He was surprised of how quiet it is. Even though you stretch the gears RPM, it doesn’t sound that loud. BTW, I still haven't flip the switch [Tri-Phase] yet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Beautiful bro! :lol:

Looks great! Nice not having a driveshaft isn't it? Glad to see all went well. I was curious though. Where was it you got the wire for the O2 sensor? I remember there was a special wire for that purpose, but I lost the link when I rebuilt my laptop. It may not have been you that posted it, but I remember it was a wire with some special sheath.

Oh well, keep it goin' and drive it like ya stole it! :twisted: later

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mensa,

I can't really tell how much the tip sticks out. But watch your shins while loading! :lol:

You saying that it's not that loud is a good thing. Hope to hear your audio file soon.

How do you think your rear swaybar will fit? Above or below the muffler?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sig228 said:
Mensa,

I can't really tell how much the tip sticks out. But watch your shins while loading! :lol:

You saying that it's not that loud is a good thing. Hope to hear your audio file soon.

How do you think your rear swaybar will fit? Above or below the muffler?
Non of the above. I'm thinking of going another route this time. Stay tuned. :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Nice job Mensajero! I like the way you went stright back with the exhust, and still keep good clearance by taking advantage of the open space where the diff would go on a 4wd. An advantage of our 2wd RAVs! Looks great, very clean job amigo. 8)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys. But I really want to record how it sounds. As soon as I can get a digital video. I'll email it to you guys. Power and torque is up as soon as you pop the clutch. Sound ultra cool, turning heads all around town. But not a boomy sound. A low, mellow, but distinct metallic sound. :wink: BTW, I guess I'll need a clutch soon. :mrgreen: I still haven't hammered it, YET. :lol: I'm just taking it easy to see if any bugs come out, none so far. I do know that I'll have to lower it. To much air under it, can get hairy real fast.

$99.00 Magnaflow Muffler
$30.00 Flex
$30.00 Summit Racing Resonator
$70.00 Performance Catalytic Converter
$98.00 Borla Tip
$60.00 Muffler Shop Work
$387.00 Total

Satisfaction, Priceless, Stay Tuned

PS
Do I recommend this setup? Hell Yeah.

·
Registered
302 Posts
WOW!

nice job...their mensajero.

will this be applicable to 4.2 models too?

2004 ravs I mean.

where did u get all your parts?

thanks....keep up the upgrades :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all pyxy_567, welcome to this forum. Yes, you can install this system in your RAV4.2. 2WD or AWD. It doesn't matter. The AWD will not run straight thru. But you can install it just next to the driveshaft. One thing I've haven't said yet, the gas economy has jumped a ton, AROUND TOWN. Where we most need it. In other words, I did spend almost $400.00 in this system. But I have already seen some very good results in power, sound and mileage. It always make people turn heads saying; “Wow, a RAV4, none the less.” Never the less guys, we are cool, and we keep cool. Oh, BTW guys, a good set of shades will help for that Saturday night date, Rock On!! :wink:. In other words guys, it's all gravy :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts