Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was driving to Ponce to see a Solo 1 competition. No, I wasn't going to race it. On my way back, their was a squad of heavily armed police men (yes, like Jade Helm 15). They took a look at the front and gave the signal to stop and to park it immediately. I had all my papers, except one. The receipt for the Carbon fiber hood. I had to get a cab to get home. Right now its sitting pretty at a local vehicle impoundment area.:mad: I've already contacted VIS racing for a copy of the receipt. What did I (we) learn? Keep all your upgrade, parts, and accessories receipt inside the glove compartment. :frown

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Sorry, what is the need for a receipt again?
You mean that I supposed to keep a receipt of my stereo/GPS, heated seats, hood deflector, etc... with me?
First time I hear such non-sense. Are they accusing you of stealing a hood??? What if you sell the car tomorrow and the other person does not have all your receipts????

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, what is the need for a receipt again?
You mean that I supposed to keep a receipt of my stereo/GPS, heated seats, hood deflector, etc... with me?
First time I hear such non-sense. Are they accusing you of stealing a hood??? What if you sell the car tomorrow and the other person does not have all your receipts????
The government is broke and its being picky looking for money. Any car without the same paint as the rest of the car. Well, you need to have proof of purchase. The first thing they looks for was the registration number under the hood, which of course, was missing. So, I just have to take the receipt and show it to them and I'm cool. Are they accusing me of a being a crook? Well, I discussed it with my dad. He told me to be nice and I give them the paper, once. If they give me any problems, I'll let my lawyer handle that.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's harsh!!! Around here, the cops look for illegal modifications and broken stuff, like a headlight. They usually give a "fix it" ticket if they find something. Then you get it fixed and/or show traffic court that it's not an illegal mod and you're done. There may be a fine to pay as well. The cops have the option to impound the car if it's a danger to others, say, for example, due to raising or lowering the vehicle too much. What happens if you can't get a receipt? Do you have the original hood to reinstall???

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's harsh!!! Around here, the cops look for illegal modifications and broken stuff, like a headlight. They usually give a "fix it" ticket if they find something. Then you get it fixed and/or show traffic court that it's not an illegal mod and you're done. There may be a fine to pay as well. The cops have the option to impound the car if it's a danger to others, say, for example, due to raising or lowering the vehicle too much. What happens if you can't get a receipt? Do you have the original hood to reinstall???
If you guys remember, (those of you who were here at that time, 2008) I order a Carbon Fiber hood to VIS Racing Sport. When it came in, it was the wrong year. I called them and told them they've made a mistake. So, I was asked to DESTROY the one I had and send pictures, I did. The guys in this forum were going to flip. They were PM me, "WTF are you doing?" "Wait, I can buy it off you" All kinds of messages asking for mercy for the CBH. :lol: Once they saw the pictures, they send me the correct one.

I'm going to the police station and tell them what happen. All the numbers regarding the part, sales, dates, canceled CC receipt etc. BTW, I'm not going alone, I'll be with my lawyer, its this Thursday, 7AM.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Did you consent to the search? US Constitution still applies in PR. They don't have a right to search under your hood without consent or a warrant.
I have nothing to hide. If you refuse. your opening yourself up for all kinds of scrutiny. So I played it cool and let them search. Again, I have nothing to hide. Once they saw the Parking decal permit of the university they asked; What and where do you work? I told them at the local University and the local High School. Everything from there on was cool. They even changed the place I had to take the information. From local court to my local police station. So, I'm good.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
What a hassle for you, and all because of an aftermarket part? Were they actually searching for something like drugs, and when they didn't find any, decided that they had to find something else in order to justify doing their search?

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a hassle for you, and all because of an aftermarket part? Were they actually searching for something like drugs, and when they didn't find any, decided that they had to find something else in order to justify doing their search?
What can I do. Those dudes look like the defensive line of the Green Bay Packers. I'm 5 foot nothing and look like a nerd. :nerd BUT, I use the mind game. There big, but stupid. On Thursday I'll take my papers and comply with the law.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
What can I do. Those dudes look like the defensive line of the Green Bay Packers. I'm 5 foot nothing and look like a nerd. :nerd BUT, I use the mind game. There big, but stupid. On Thursday I'll take my papers and comply with the law.

Maybe they actually are the defensive Green Bay Packers' line, moonlighting by doing PR police work in the off-season! :surprise You're going to comply with the law, but does that mean that you're without your RAV until Thursday?

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe they actually are the defensive Green Bay Packers' line, moonlighting by doing PR police work in the off-season! :surprise You're going to comply with the law, but does that mean that you're without your RAV until Thursday?
No, I have my wife 2007 Yaris and a 2002 Tundra V8 SR5. So, I'm good.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,336 Posts
No, I have my wife 2007 Yaris and a 2002 Tundra V8 SR5. So, I'm good.
This is ridiculous! What if the RAV was your only car, and you couldn't get to work? Sounds like illegal search and seizure, and guilty until proven innocent!

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is ridiculous! What if the RAV was your only car, and you couldn't get to work? Sounds like illegal search and seizure, and guilty until proven innocent!

1. I have two other vehicles that can work.
2. I'm on vacation.
3. I think if I made an issue about it. They'll really come down hard on me and could of striped it down and check all the aftermarket stuff and ask me for receipt of everything. The K&N intake filter, the Apexi NEO computer, the Header, the Magnaflow muffler, all kinds of consequences. I'll be fine guys. Come back on Thursday for the results. :nerd

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's the law there that requires you to carry receipts for aftermarket parts in the first place? That's ridiculous.

Papers please!
Guys, that is the law. Especially if you have a RAV4 with different color body parts like I do, black and white? :smile I handled the situation quite well. When that asked where I worked, I told them. From there on, they lowered the tone quite a bit. But I was already on the side of the road and a lot of people looking. The police, are not like the police in the USA. They have to do a job. Once they do it, they won't hassle you. Try to inter-up, block or make the situation worst by not cooperating. You're in for a long night. I have nothing to hide. They had a lot of cars lined up asking for papers and checking licenses and what not. Am I happy by being,left on the side of the road? No, but what can I do?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.