Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so sorry for any transgressions. Searched the forum and can't find anything directly on point. Bringing 2013 RAV4 AWD limited into states from Canada. Canada does not require TPMS but US does so have to install. Metric cluster does not have corresponding idiot light. Thinking can cannibalize a wrecked American LTD for tpms receiver, tpms ecu, and cluster. Wondering if anybody has switched a 4.4 cluster. Are there immobilizer issues? Also wondering if anybody did aftermarket tpms. One issue looks like the reset button is not in the under dash on this vehicle. Any thoughts or insight greatly appreciated!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
Why not just get a cheap Chinese aftermarket TPMS kit and be done with it? Whatever it takes to pass inspection. Changing the cluster would be opening a huge can of worms. Your odometer would be invalidated, showing miles instead of km, if it works at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Looked at cheap after market and was stoked but does not comply with FMVSS according to two CBP offices and DC. All said has to be OEM or equivalent installed. Silly hoop. Seen things on folks changing clusters in old vehicles so can't imagine it is a whole lot different, but mileage is certainly an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick follow up. Changed the cluster over the weekend. Zero issues other than the TPMS light comes on (clearly). It is a simple plug and play. Purchased cluster has approximately 900 miles fewer than original so there is that but was pretty stoked on how close they were. Not planning on getting rid of this until 900 miles is an insignificant issue anyway so not really worried on that front.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you! I'm curious, though, did the temperature on the auto climate control revert to Fahrenheit after the switch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interior climate control is still metric/centigrade. The exterior as shown on the instrument cluster is fahrenheit.

I am currently waiting on arrival of an MVCI cable and looking for a cheap 32 bit laptop to put Techstream on (I know there is workaround for 64 bit but want dedicated "disposable" 'puter for vehicle). From what I can discern, all of the ECUs in the vehicle are identical to US counterparts. Maybe I will be able to get into climate control ECU and change to fahrenheit. Could be that like the cluster, it is part of the face/display. I am not too concerned with that element either way. Literally took 10 minutes to swap cluster so if I do get a bug at some point in the future don't see it being that much more of a task.

Still trying to figure out TPMS. Right now I am $122 in ($100 for cluster, $22 for MVCI). Hoping to be under $500 all told but budgeted at outset for about 4x that.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
Thanks, I remember a post way back where somebody removed a cluster from their US-spec RAV4 and with the cluster out they turned the key and the climate controls had defaulted to metric. That was on a 4.3 though. Techstream probably won't allow you to change that, it only has metric/imperial settings for the software itself. As for the TPMS, I would see if the plug is behind the glove box and put a resistor in there to turn off the light. We have a sticky thread in the forum showing how to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I remember a post way back where somebody removed a cluster from their US-spec RAV4 and with the cluster out they turned the key and the climate controls had defaulted to metric. That was on a 4.3 though. Techstream probably won't allow you to change that, it only has metric/imperial settings for the software itself. As for the TPMS, I would see if the plug is behind the glove box and put a resistor in there to turn off the light. We have a sticky thread in the forum showing how to do it.
That cluster thread sounds somewhat familiar. I've spent way too much time trying to glean info and there just is nothing out there specific to what I am trying to do. I would have taken pics of the cluster process but it is literally just popping off the molding, unscrewing two screws, unplugging the two harnesses, plugging back in and putting it back together.

I have the two TPMS bypass threads bookmarked but to get this thing imported/registered I still have to create a working TPMS. Although, thinking about it now, that may be a good idea to bypass for the time being.

Thanks for weighing in and for continued ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts