Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

MGP Brake Caliper Covers for the Prime

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Toyfan2 
#1 ·
I own a Rav4 Prime XSE and would like to install MGP Brake Caliper Covers. Will they fit? My Prime is Japan built.

Thanks for any assistance.

#10 ·
I own a Rav4 Prime XSE and would like to install MGP Brake Caliper Covers. Will they fit? My Prime is Japan built.

Thanks for any assistance.

I am very interested also; they will look great! If they do fit; my question would be; are they going to interfere with mechanic when I need brake pads/work done; in that do they need to be removed to do brake work, or do they simply stay in place (barring actual caliper replacement)?

#13 ·
I have some experience with caliper covers. The MGP covers appear to mount well, are metal, plain with no specific detail, painted on fake bolts and really expensive for what you get in my opinion. Brembo covers look good with lots of detail but are plastic and mounted using adhesive cement. There is a company ( don't remember the name, Google search )that makes custom sheet metal covers that mount with magnets. No a big fan of mounting with adhesive or magnets. If you have really spaced wheel spokes they can be stolen easily. I purchased iTrims caliper covers. Nice detail, really attractive red paint, and bolt on in as secure manner similar to MGP. Cost between $115 - $160 for a set of 4 depending on the supplied on Ebay. They do not fit the Prime but I believe they could be made to fit with some self fabricated spring metal pieces. Mine have been on for about 6 months. Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window
Had a lot of compliments on my since installing and most think they are red calipers. I have included a couple of photos.

#16 ·
The magnetic ones I believe are from Magnetic Caliper Covers | Custom Concept Illusionz. I’ve been looking at these for their detail. Lots of options. If anyone tries them I would love to know how they worked out.
There are a couple of utube videos with installation and review of the product. Might be the best option for the Prime because they custom make them. The best looking ones are their most pricey models and fairly expensive.

#15 ·
I was back and forth with MGP and ordered them specifically noting that the vehicle was "Japan made" etc. as they indicated I should....bottom line is that they arrived and did not fit. Back and forth with them again...and they don't have any that will fit the vehicle.

#18 ·
Depends on what you mean by "paint". If you want to get the really durable, pro-level powder coat jobs, it's several hundred to a thousand dollars. I was quoted over a thousand in my neck of the woods. To DIY is a PITA, and requires you to take off the calipers and leave your ride on jack stands for several days. Then you'll need to re-bleed the brakes to get whatever air out of them. I think the powder coating is pretty cheap, just like the regular paint stuff like G2 or VTA spray on paint. But to do the entire job yourself is a PITA if you want to paint the entire caliper. The way I did it is by using the G2 stuff and just taking off the tires and just painting the calipers without taking them off. You won't get the entire caliper, but who else is really looking behind your tires anyways? It's just for cosmetics.

#19 ·
I recommend the caliper covers. After watching 10 or more Utube videos of painting the calipers I recognized I was much too lazy to go through the simplest painting process and the really elaborate processes are nice, but the cosmetically ugly calipers look like cosmetically ugly painted calipers. I paid a lot of attention to painted calipers while driving for several months and they just are not as appealing as nice looking covers. Covers are relatively cheap, you can easily remove them anytime, and can be easily repainted if needed or you want to change colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.