Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - did a search but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a drone type noise from Michelin Latitudes. My 2016 XLE has 31K miles and just started doing this last week. The noise starts at 35 mph and then continues with the speed of the tires, independent of the engine. We took a 300 mile road trip today and it became much more evident towards the end of the drive. It's a bit annoying.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
?pressure? Have you checked it? Sounds as though you have some cupping or similar type abnormal wear.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is some road noise / drone that gets through all these Ravs. The road surface differences will change it...a lot. I suggest you wait till you get home and see if traveling the same roads you usually do makes it go away again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - my left rear tire is cupped...not sure why. Going to take her in on Monday. The shocks are fine and I've rotated on schedule.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
Update - my left rear tire is cupped...not sure why. Going to take her in on Monday. The shocks are fine and I've rotated on schedule.
That could be due to low pressure. Keeping in mind that "recommended" pressures are usually too low for good wear. OE tires are pretty much worn out at 30K.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. I took her in and had the suspension checked. All was well with the exception of a minor toe-in adjustment. They also did a no-charge alignment which gives me some data points to share with Michelin. The tire is cupped and should be replaced as it's getting progressively louder. The rest of the tires are at 7/32. I'm curious to see how this will get resolved and will update.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted to update. I replaced all four tires with Michelin Premiere XLT M&S....the drone was still there! Went back to the dealership, who was very helpful. They ended up replacing the left rear bearing - problem solved! I have my nice, quiet Rav4 back! In all my years of owning cars I've never had a bearing go out, much less with only 31K on the odometer. Glad it has been resolved under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts