Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Spring I replaced my OEM Toyo tires with brand new (235/65R/17), 3 season Michelin Premier LTX tires. These are technically one size too large for our RAV's. However, there are no clearance or ridability issues. I now have 17,000 km. (over 10,000 mi.) on these Michelin tires, in all 3 season weather and road conditions, so I thought I'd write a review with my impressions of these tires.

For context, I would describe our driving style as moderate or average and we drive according to weather and road conditions. I do not use my 3 season tires for winter weather/snow use. Around mid-November, I will be swapping out these Michelins for my winter tires ... non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV's which I wrote a review on this past Spring.

My criteria for 3 season tires were 1) great wet traction; 2) higher speed/load rating as we occasionally pull a 3,000 lbs. cargo trailer and; 3) good, dry road handling characteristics (low noise, responsiveness etc.). Budget wasn't a major factor as I wanted the best tire value you could get. My shortlist included the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Continental CrossContact LX20's and the Michelin Premier LTX's. I dropped the Pirelli's because of their lower wet handling reviews and dropped the Conti's because of the lower load ratings although I believe since then, they have introduced higher rated LX20's ... at least in the USA.

Here in Canada, the Conti's were only available as a 103T rated tires when I was doing my research while getting ready to purchase. This rating even surprised the local Continental Tire Rep whom I bumped into at Canadian Tire one day. He said he'd inquire about a higher load rated tire in this line but came back to me and said they didn't offer higher rated tires in this line. I also studied the tire test at tirerack.com amongst others and was very impressed on how these Michelin's performed. I also like the fact these tires were selected as the OEM tire for the 2016 Lexus RX350 line up and that Michelin and Lexus worked closely in designing and developing this tire's characteristics.

What I've experienced is when driving in rain/wet road conditions, these Premier LTX's hold the road like it was bone dry. Just after I mounted them, we had some severe rain storms with driving rain. At highway speeds (110 kph/70 mph), I was in total control and the grip was phenomenal ... no grabbing, tugging or hydroplaning felt at all. I did some panic braking on rain soaked roads just to check and boy, did they scrub the speed off quickly with no slippage. Just what I wanted! I've never felt the tires slip or spin on any roads especially wet ones. Mind you, I haven't tried to break them loose by going WOT from a standing start ... but even assertive pedal pressure does not phase them one little bit.

On dry roads, I find these tires are quiet, responsive and get the job done with understated efficiency ... no fuss, no muss. FYI - I did the transaxle replacement so I am attuned to listening to how our vehicles run and perform. I run these tires at about 34 psi which is slightly higher than the recommended 32 psi. This creates a slightly firmer ride and occasionally I feel a little more firmness in the road (seams, road snakes, transition edges etc.) but certainly nothing unpleasant. I do not thrash the corners with our RAV so it's hard for me to comment on how well mannered they'd be under those kind of hard driving conditions.

On gravel or rough surfaces, I sense they ride a little rougher (transmit more road noise up through the wheel and chassis). Again, this could possibly be attributed to the rear Bilstein (PN 19-164687) shock absorbers I installed shortly after mounting the Michelins. As a side note, I went with the Bilsteins as I prefer a firmer ride and to help with dampening when towing.

In short, one of their claims to fame of these tires is their wet conditions handling design attributes and on this front, they certainly do not disappoint. An observation and mild concern I had was wearability. Out of the box, they come with less tread depth (8.5/32's) than most other tires in this SUV/Crossover class. However, after over 10,000 mi. of driving, they now measure between 7.5 and 8/32's which I feel is pretty good. I like Michelin tires and find they tend to wear well due to the harder material compounds they use in much of their line-up.

To summarize, these Michelin Premier LTX's with their higher rated speed, treadware, traction and temperature ratings (104H + 620AA) coupled with their focus on wet road handling sold me ... and I have not been disappointed. I didn't specifically track gas mileage before and after but they seem to return about the same as the OEM Toyo's. We are very happy with these tires and I highly recommend these tires for their overall quality and great handling characteristics whether it be on wet or dry summer roads.

Price wise, they came in at CDN $855.36 pretax for the set of four (about USD $651 at current exchange rates). This included balancing, mounting, and our provincial tire collection fee of $17. I applied for and received the seasonal Michelin rebate of $70 which lowered my investment a little. I also get lifetime balancing, seasonal changeovers, free rotation and flat repairs and would you believe it, free air!

I bought them at Kal Tire in Waterloo ON and would highly recommend them. I am not affiliated with either Kal Tire or Michelin ... I'm just really happy with my decision to get these tires!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Thanks for the info. Glad to see that you got some great tires.

I went with General Tire RT43. The reviews were great on TireRack.com and I even have the H-rated tires.
The price was right and too good to be true. The first year (7000 km), the tire performed perfectly.

But the 2nd year, I was surprised how much they slip on slightly wet roads. Good thing that I have dedicated winter tires.
Braking at about 60km/h on wet roads, made the the car skid 3 times before coming to a stop!

Even my OEM Yokohama Geolander G90 were better on wet roads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to close the loop on the Michelin Premier LTX tires I bought back in March 2016. Based on over 40 years of driving on too many tire makes and models to remember, these rank amongst the very best I've ever driven on in terms of handling performance (stop, turn,cornering etc.), grip (dry and especially wet with absolutely no hydroplaning ... ever) and overall drive-ability incluing low noise. I did not end up pulling the aforementioned cargo trailer with this vehicle leaving that task to our F-250.

Here comes the kicker, these other wise excellent tires are totally worn out (2/32's or less) at 56,820 kms. (that's only 35,306 miles). That is with only "three season" use, replaced each of the past three winters with dedicated winter tires, regular rotations etc. I am so disappointed with the wear I got out of them seeing how they are rated as 100,000 km. tires (approx. 62,000 miles). I am filing a claim to Michelin through my tire dealer to see what, if anything, Michelin may do regarding a pro-rated credit for premature tread wear according to their new tire warranty. I'll keep you posted on that.

Bottom Line = if you want a superb performing tire that won't last too long, this is certainly a great one to consider. I have to say I am pretty disappointed after all of the initial research I did and would find it hard to recommend this tire to others because of the premature wear issue. BTW -- my dealer diplomatically mentioned other customers have experienced low mileage tread wear-out so this is not a one-off situation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Michelin warranty approved a 50% credit (premature tire wear claim) to be used against another replacement Michelin tire. I'm going to try the three season Defender T+H (not the Defender LTX) in the OEM 225/65R17 size. The one thing I wasn't happy with on the Premier LTX's was the stiffer sidewalls which produced a harsher ride ... reminiscent of my unloaded Super Duty PU truck. I'm hoping the P-Metric Defenders (which are approved and recommended for use with our RAV's) will produce a somewhat softer ride over bumps and pavement cracks. Time will tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts