·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am the owner of a 2005 matrix looking to buy a 2006 RAV4

just a few questions

my bigges issue is how is the V6 with fwd
I really like the price of the base 23000 + -
and as i understand the fwd comes with a LSD anyhow?
that along with traction control and stabilty control i cant really see any reason to spend another 2 to 3K for 4wd
I live in New jersey and on my FWD matrix i have snow tires for the winter and even while i was in canada for the week i had no problems with getting around in my car.
So is it save to reason that the 2wd with snow tires should be able to deal with moderate snow when it has snow tires on it?

and how is the V6 2wd in the rain?

Gas MPG can you get 25-26 MPG on the highway if your driving it consertivley << sorry for the spelling error

and how is it for passing at 45 to 70 MPH ?

sorry for so many questions in my first post i am just trying to avoid buying the wrong car again.

hope this will be the first post of many and hoping to meet new people along the way

·
Registered
340 Posts
kc2hje, you want to sell ur trix? saw you have a lot of parts 4 sale on MO.com?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: might be a new RAV4 owner looking for help

kc2hje said:
i cant really see any reason to spend another 2 to 3K for 4wd
I see a reason, you live in the Northeast. 4WD will perform better in the snow than FWD, even with snow tires.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The G Man said:
kc2hje said:
I see a reason, you live in the Northeast. 4WD will perform better in the snow than FWD, even with snow tires.
another 2 to 3k on the price i am looking at will push my payments out of what i think is reasonable :(

·
Registered
4,670 Posts

kc2hje said:
another 2 to 3k on the price i am looking at will push my payments out of what i think is reasonable :(
If I was a car salesman, which I am not, I would tell you that for about $1 a day, you can have the security of a 4WD system. How can you turn that down?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The G Man said:
kc2hje said:
If I was a car salesman, which I am not, I would tell you that for about $1 a day, you can have the security of a 4WD system. How can you turn that down?
lol you guys are a bunch of 4wd junkies
i am not getting the rav4 in the sence of an suv i am kinda thinking of it more as a V6 camry wagon really :) if there is more then 3-4 inches on the ground it's not that imporantant for me to go out

besides my payment is around 450 without 4wd and will be closer to 500 a month with 4wd let us keep in mind that 4wd adds a bunch to the option packages that toyota force feeds us :(
i really with you could just order a car with just the featurs that you want and not have to get all the extra crap

S

·
0 Posts
i also like to go out when it snows, and i do it fine in my 10 yr old nissan maxima (in moderate snow). I doubt that the RAV4, with its higher ground clearance, stability control, traction control, LSD, would have any harder time than my maxima. FWD is really not as handicapped in snow as people think, if that were the case, everyone in the northeast would be driving 4WDs. And its really not worth struggling with your car payments just so you can use the 4WD like once a year. in my opinion, its better to get debt out of the way.

·
Registered
240 Posts

The G Man said:
kc2hje said:
FWD with snows > AWD with all-seasons in snow.

However, AWD with snows pwns all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sh0x said:
i also like to go out when it snows, and i do it fine in my 10 yr old nissan maxima (in moderate snow). I doubt that the RAV4, with its higher ground clearance, stability control, traction control, LSD, would have any harder time than my maxima. FWD is really not as handicapped in snow as people think, if that were the case, everyone in the northeast would be driving 4WDs. And its really not worth struggling with your car payments just so you can use the 4WD like once a year. in my opinion, its better to get debt out of the way.

i think i might be getting the rav sooner as i might be selling the sport bike :( due to the verbal threshold garabage in new jersery

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well took mom :) and she likes
my mom and i have a thing for cars
so it's looking good i will be going memorial day and will be getting a 4x2 V6 base with side curton air bags and a roof rack for 23500
and trading in the matrix Xr 2005 with 48000 miles on it for 12800
gotta love toyota :D

i will be getting red or black
wish me luck :D time to find out how good my dealership is (i have bought 3 toyotas from them in the past 8 years)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
monetnj said:
Do you really have 48,000 miles on a 1 year old car! Wow! Or maybe you meant to say 4,800?
2 year old car :)
i got it right when the 05's came out in 2004

·
Registered
233 Posts

mhgsx said:
FWD with snows > AWD with all-seasons in snow.

However, AWD with snows pwns all.[/quote]

That is not true. I cannot get up my snowed in driveway with my Golf with winter tires :( but my wife has upsolutely no problems to do it with her Quattro and all season tires :p . 4wd rocks when it comes to snow!! 8)

·
Registered
340 Posts
kc2hje said:
Well took mom :) and she likes
trading in the matrix Xr 2005 with 48000 miles on it for 12800
gotta love toyota :D
wow, kc2hje you get a good deal!! They estimated my 36000 miles XRS trix and they quote me only $12000 even my trix was equipped with navigation. btw, you sure to sell ur trix? how about that trix's girl?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Can't comment on the 4WD because I live in the south where it snows only once every 5 years but I can comment on the V6. It's almost to much engine for the RAV4, but I love it. You asked how it was when passing between 45-70mph. This baby will leave almost any vehicle out there in the dust at any speed.

·
Registered
165 Posts

That is not true. I cannot get up my snowed in driveway with my Golf with winter tires :( but my wife has upsolutely no problems to do it with her Quattro and all season tires :p . 4wd rocks when it comes to snow!! 8)
He is partially true.
FWD with snows > AWD with all-seasons in snow when stopping.
FWD with snows < AWD with all-seasons in snow when accelerating especially uphill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts