Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made my custom air vortex(spiraling air tunnel, makes air travel faster to the motor) that is installed in the intake....AKA Turbonator, Tornado, Air Razor...they were supposed to save fuel and add HP...

although i am skeptical of the figures they claim, I still want to try it out due to the rising of gas prices and of course more on the reason to experiment. I JUST DON'T WANT TO MISS OUT SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY WORKS! :twisted:

As CLAIMED BY MAKERS/SELLERS:
...This simple device can save you hundreds of dollars in fuel over the life of your car.
...It's easy to install - just a few mintues.
...There's no maintenance required.
...Better fuel atomization results in an increase in gas mileage - up to 15%!!!
...Increase Power!
...Dynometer testing shows up to a 13 horsepower increase!
...Easy to Install! Place the unit in the air intake of your vehicle in just a few minutes - requires no maintenance!

they look exactly the ones below:

this type is the closest replica of what I made..

this is how and where to install it...

right after i installed my little contraption i test drove my RAV and i would admit although i was doubtful at first i did felt a little improvement, it is like it can breath better so a small punch can be felt when you press that accelerator. my milage improved too, so that is a plus....

now the sad thing is after 100 miles of travel my check engine came up together with the VSC/TRAC lights...i just remembered that everytime you do some MODS you have to reset the ECU...and so i did but after sometime the lights came out again....i had it checked for the codes at Autozone (oowah!!! they are the best, free diagnosis....stealership..$90)

anyways, the code came out to be P0171 - system too lean - Bank 1. they are saying that the O2 sensor before the cat is faulty or something likethat....

i am sure that what i just did was the reason why i am throwing off a CEL, but before anything else and give up i would try to find a way to make this thing work...

first, through my research on code P0171 it is not always that the O2 sensor is the culprit but also the MAF sensor. I will be cleaning the MAF tonight with a contact cleaner by spraying it and removing any sludge that is stuck on it....using an aftermarket filter with the oil sprayed on it can cause this dirt geting stuck on the sensor elements......maybe this may also improve the sensor's function much better....

second, i will try to move the air vortex further inside right after the MAF sensor....this procedure still post a question in my head, hope somebody might comment on this...

third, will wait for any comments or suggestions from you guys!!!

I am somewhat like the guinea pig in here, testing out a new gadget......so hopefully things will work out fine and hopefully someone here might give a good solution..... :wink:

i will be posting any updates later....

CHEERS!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am amazed that device accomplished anything.

But since it leaned it out and the ECM did not compensate, I am even more surprised. That tells me that these RAV ECMs may have very little ability to compensate for small changes in fuel mixture requirments. Anyway, you need to dial-in some fuel pressure if you plan to keep that gizmo you parked in the intake. I'll bet the RAVs have non-adjustable regulators as some older ECM controlled FI systems. So you may be out of luck unless you start making more engine control mods.

K

·
0 Posts
The 4.2 RAV4 engines does not have a fuel pressure regulator at all. Instead, is has a fuel damper.

As with preventing it from leaning out. You might need to get a piggyback ECU to remap the injector feeds. That's why no one does a lot of mods to the new RAV. Just too damn expensive to follow up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mohit said:
how about removing that contraption and seeing if the engine light comes back on?

Yes, Mohit i did took out my contraption and bam! no CEL...so what i did next was to move the vortex further in, past the MAF sensor....(while doing this i disconnected the batteries)

did some test driving and no CEL so far.... :lol: .....i'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope no lights will come out....

as for the results it felt better than the first setup that i did...i hope i am not just wishfull thinking but you can really feel a difference...if you want to experiment with it, too i am sure you will be surprised that this thing actually works....

oh by the way, before i made my vortex i did some test by cutting out a model on a piece of cardboard and sticking it in a piece of 2.5" pipe then to further observe how the air moves, i lighted up a couple of cone shaped incense to create alot of smoke. i forced most of the smoke going in the pipe using a hair dryer... sucking the smoke from behind the hair dryer and blowing it in the pipe....(ok that sounded funny!)....the air/smoke coming out from the other end of the pipe was amazingly swirling like a tornado.

what i saw and experienced encouraged me that this thing might work and it did....i do not know exactly how 2 or 5 HP feels but maybe it is somewhere there....small gains from different mods can add up somehow, so it helps.... :wink:

kidong said:
The 4.2 RAV4 engines does not have a fuel pressure regulator at all. Instead, is has a fuel damper.

As with preventing it from leaning out. You might need to get a piggyback ECU to remap the injector feeds. That's why no one does a lot of mods to the new RAV. Just too damn expensive to follow up.
I totally agree with you Kidong, i guess we need a gadget to somehow alter the air/fuel mixtures...

Do you think the "emanage" and all that will do the trick? i have been reading some posts in scionlife tc forums and they were able to use it. since the RAV4 has the same engine as the TC, 2AZFE.

maybe in the future if time and funds are available i might try installing a turbo from ZPI Industries designed for TC...stage 0 or maybe stage 1. :twisted: ...hope it works though.... :?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it has been three days now and power and mileage has much improved....and what is great, NO MORE CEL !!!

things done:

- cleaned the MAF sensor
- relocated air vortex just after the MAF sensor

"i am not trying to advertise any of the products sold in the market all i am just saying is, it WORKS....i made my own air vortex"

will try to update my album for more pics....but to give you an idea how my setup looks like check out my album....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts