Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Toyota's webpage:

The RAV4's increases aren't limited to physical dimensions alone. An available 269-hp V6 makes it the most powerful SUV in its class. And standard 4-cylinder powertrain is improved, boasting output to 166 horsepower. There's also big news in fuel efficiency, with EPA estimated 24 city/29 highway for the 4 cylinder and 20 city/28 highway for the V6.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those numbers are considerably worse than the ones on the 2003 I have, and I swear every couple of weeks at the pump.
Don't know about that, I guess I'll wait and see how it feels when I try it.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
edcruz_2010 said:
Those numbers are considerable worse than the ones on the 2003 I have, and I swear every couple of weeks at the pump.
Don't know about that, I guess I'll wait and see how it feels when I try it.
How is that "considerably worse" when the 2005 gets 24/30 in manual 2WD and 24/29 for auto 2WD (22/27 in 4WD for both manual and auto)? The 2003 was barely a digit better at 25/31 (manual/2WD) and those are the best ratings the RAV4 was ever tagged for.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The confusion is between Imperial mpg (still used in Canada for old fogies who don't like the metric L/100 km) and US mpg. The Imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon so Imperial mpg numbers are always higher.

e.g., in Canada the 2005 RAV4 4WD 5-speed is rated at 26/35 Imperial mpg or 10.7/8.1 L/100 km. This equates to 22/29 US mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
bmorton said:
The confusion is between Imperial mpg (still used in Canada for old fogies who don't like the metric L/100 km) and US mpg. The Imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon so Imperial mpg numbers are always higher.

e.g., in Canada the 2005 RAV4 4WD 5-speed is rated at 26/35 Imperial mpg or 10.7/8.1 L/100 km. This equates to 22/29 US mpg.
Thanks Morton for the explanation, been a metric guy myself I never realized of the Imperial- US issue. But in that case these ratings are actually not too bad at all.

D

·
0 Posts
While those figures look attractive , a great number of owners have posted less than steller "real-world " numbers.

I dont want to start a "whats your mpg" thread but alot of members saw low 20s and some teens in winter for overall driving.

My 05 Pilot with a 3.5 v6 gets about 2 mpg less than my much lighter, much smaller, and 2.0 engined 01 rav4. This was probably my most disappointing thing about the 01 rav4.

Im just sayin'.......dont always believe the numbers......i guess there is some movement to make these mpg numbers more real world because right now the testing cycle is very outdated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts