Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was both a bit bored and also a bit curious, I wanted to see the effect of seasonality on my mileage. Intuitively I know my mileage is worse in winter, but I wanted to chart the data that I had recorded in Fuelly. See attached charts, both in L/100km and MPG.

In the Rav4 Hybrid there is a very large difference between the winter and summer mileage for weather in Toronto. In the coldest month (Jan), fuel use is approximately 50% greater than warmer summer driving weather:
L/100km: Jan = 9.6, Aug = 6.5
mpg: Jan = 24.4, Aug = 36.3

Of course this is not completely scientific as the weather/temperature is not exactly the same from year to year, and I can't guarantee that distances driven, traffic, etc are exactly the same from year to year or even from month to month. I kind of pledged to myself that every vehicle I bought would be more fuel efficient than the last one, and I had the data for my previous 2 vehicles so I also plotted those out of curiosity. The Dodge Caravan was a regular gas engine, the ML350 was a 3L turbo diesel, and of course there is now the Rav4 Hybrid. Most of my driving is city driving, I would say usually 80%, except for some long road trips taken in the summer/fall. You can noticeably see the effect of these in the Caravan and ML350, which have much better mileage on Highway, while the RAV4 tends to be about as good in the city as it is on the Highway.

For my previous non-hybrid cars (Caravan & ML350) they also do get worse mileage in the winter, but a big contributor to this difference is summer road trips as these non-hybrid vehicles get much better mileage on the highway.

I am hoping that I can improve my winter fuel efficiency with the grill blocking technique, as the winter/summer difference is very large. Hopefully I'll post an update after the winter season.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am hoping that I can improve my winter fuel efficiency with the grill blocking technique, as the winter/summer difference is very large. Hopefully I'll post an update after the winter season.
Engine temp is just one part of why MPG drops in winter. There's not much you can do about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts