Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have 2016 Rav4 LE and have been visiting the forum on and off. I was wondering how much miles per tank per full tank of gas are you getting? My car only have about 2600+ miles and have been getting low to mid 300 miles a tank, maybe more but I will have to do more test. I drive the speed limit or just a little over the speed limit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I drive from bay area Ca, to Los Angeles Ca monthly.
It is a 353 mile trip according to google maps.
If I start with a full tank, by the end of the trip
the fuel meter shows just under a quarter tank remaining.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying the ECO mode as first thousand miles and I was getting about the same mpg per tank as yours but I got bored with the ECO. Sport mode is fun but I do not want to use it all the time. Now I'm not using either mode, I have to re-check but I believe I was getting 320+ or 330+mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive from bay area Ca, to Los Angeles Ca monthly.
It is a 353 mile trip according to google maps.
If I start with a full tank, by the end of the trip
the fuel meter shows just under a quarter tank remaining.

That's good mpg. I was hoping to get at about 400mpg or close to 400mpg when I was shopping for a new car but the Rav4 may not be capable of achieving that much mpg.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The most miles I got on a single tank on my 2016 SE AWD is 351 miles with 2.7 gallons left in the tank. Avg mpg was 26.7 on this particular fill up. So if I had driven close to empty, I should've gotten well over 400 miles. But I always fill up around the 330 to 350 miles range. Why risk running out of gas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The most miles I got on a single tank on my 2016 SE AWD is 351 miles with 2.7 gallons left in the tank. Avg mpg was 26.7 on this particular fill up. So if I had driven close to empty, I should've gotten well over 400 miles. But I always fill up around the 330 to 350 miles range. Why risk running out of gas?

Thanks. Not worth risking of running out of gas. That's not the intention of my question. I guess my question was not complete.

I usually fill up when the gas light comes on and also depends on the traffic, if the traffic is heavy I usually fill up whether the gas light is on or not. I just have this habit of maximizing the gas tank and like to calculate the mpg that I'm getting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually fill up when the gas light comes on and also depends on the traffic, if the traffic is heavy I usually fill up whether the gas light is on or not. I just have this habit of maximizing the gas tank and like to calculate the mpg that I'm getting.
I usually do the same thing - fill-up when the gas-light comes on.
I average around 450miles per tank; with a best of 504 miles. 90% of my driving is city driving ie not interstate.

I have a 2016 hybrid.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Thanks. Not worth risking of running out of gas. That's not the intention of my question. I guess my question was not complete.

When the gas light just comes on, you should have about 2.5 to 3 gallons left in the tank, so you have about 40 to 50 miles to go before running out of gas.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
The farthest I've pushed it in the Hybrid is 440 miles, long after the low fuel warning and about 30 miles after DTE said refuel which is what it changes to when 0 miles is reached, refuel took 12.1 gallons(14.8 US gallon tank on the Hybrid), 36.3mpg.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you want to keep track of your mileage, try using the fuelly app. My best is 31.7 mpg and my worst was 19.6 mpg when running 80 mph against a heavy head wind. My average is in the signature below.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
This is as silly as it gets. The only way to figure miles per tank is to run it out of fuel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks my post/question was not intended or literally bottom out the gas tank and to stall because you're out of gas. Some people have the courage to try that though I will not risk running out of gas ?. I usually refill when my gas light is comes on sometimes before it comes on.

My gas light came on around 300 miles today ?. Pretty low. My car has almost 3000 miles now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Using the summer blend fuel we can get 400 miles per tank. Winter blend - not so much.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks my post/question was not intended or literally bottom out the gas tank and to stall because you're out of gas. Some people have the courage to try that though I will not risk running out of gas ?. I usually refill when my gas light is comes on sometimes before it comes on.

My gas light came on around 300 miles today ?. Pretty low. My car has almost 3000 miles now.
Your post title is "Miles per tank?" Maybe you meant 'Distance till the fuel light comes on?' But lets do the "full tank" calculation, or true range of the vehicle first.

You first need to calculate your miles per gallon. Then find out the capacity of the tank. Multiply mpg x capacity gallons. In my case (my 2009 4-cyl) I get 24.7 mpg. The tank holds 15.9 gallons. This means I could go 393 miles on a tank before flame-out. Not that I would ever wish to push it that far, but that is the true range of the vehicle.

Most Gen 4.4 RAV owners report around 27 mpg overall , and they also have a 15.9 gal tank. So true range (assumes 27 mpg x 15.9 gal) would be 430 miles. The "low fuel light" would come on with about 3-gal still in the tank, so about 350-miles. YMMV.

(Note: the only accurate way to establish you mpg is to calculate the actual miles driven divided by the actual fuel added. To rule out variations due to pumps, probably at least 10 tanks to establish a fairly good data base. The onboard computers can be off, but surprisingly my computer display says I've gotten 25.1 mpg--and my 24.7 mpg calculation (in 50-50 city/hwy driving) came from 22,000 miles of actual calculated obs. So not too much error over the long haul.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts