Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had used XD Xtreme LED Pro in the stock reflector assembly as posted here, while the light output was pretty good compared to the stock halogen, the light projection was pretty bad, rotating by 30-degrees helped a bit, but it was still all over the place. I had also used a trimmed down 9012-based halogen, while it was better than stock, but was missing the brightness that I had grown accustomed to the LED. I also had contemplated about buying the projector assemblies on eBay, but I didn't like the look of them much. Thus, I wanted to try after reading about a few people's experience here and other forums. I want to thank rav4.32010 for his post, all the questions I had thrown at him, and advice and knowledge along the way.

I had bought a pair of '08 Sport headlight assemblies from a recycler so I can still use my vehicle while the project was on the way. These were the parts that I had bought from Lightwerkz:
Lightwerkz has a very good video about opening and resealing headlight assemblies. They mention the temperature and time for each step that made it easy to follow. The Mini H1 is easier to retrofit compared to cutting the reflector bowl and using the "nuts and bolts" method for mounting and alignment. However, this will limit the projector choices since better projectors like the ones rav4.32010 had used won't work with the "threaded" method.

I started this project back in late February, however, due to school year cancellation and stay-at-home order, I didn't have time to work on and finish it until this past weekend. The total number of hours I spent was probably 12 hours. Overall, it was a fun project, learned a lot, and appreciated all those who had done it earlier. Now, onto some pictures.

Retrofit complete and mounted

Lightwerkz has a video about headlight aiming.

After mounting, the aiming was way off, I saw more of the road than actual what was in front. So after setting up against a wall, the adjustments were made.

Afterwards, I drove to an empty field to see the difference. It was quite nice!

These two pictures show the original and retrofitted headlight assembly.

The threaded method would just use existing hole in the bowl, however, since a lock ring needs to be threaded on, the existing material had to be filed down.

The MotoHo1lders came in very handy in mounting and securing the HID bulbs without using clips.

Final steps were finding locations to secure the relay pack and ballasts without headlight assembly interference. Fortunately, there was plenty of space to work with zip ties.

All ready to be put back together.

Initially, I had bought the Super H1 7.1 (Clear) projectors since I was trying to work within a budget, but I was curious to see how the actual Morimoto H1 7.0 were. There's definitely a build and quality difference between the two. Although I didn't end up wiring up and using the solenoid for high beam, but it's well-built as well. So the extra cost was quite worth it.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Your pictures aren't showing up for some reason.
Yeah, I can only see the pictures when I edit the post. They are super but obviously that doesn't help anyone else.
When I go out of edit mode I get "Image uploading. Refresh page to view." Refresh does nothing, but maybe if I wait 10 minutes . . . .

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I made the post, I couldn't see the pictures either, but when viewed through Tapatalk, they showed up. I have the pictures in my gallery and was just using the img feature, but for some reason it doesn't work. Anyway, I've edited the post to actually insert images, but had to reduce the picture count to 10.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for doing a proper retrofit and not blinding other drivers with a PNP kit. So was the initial alignment off just the rotation or also vertical and horizontal?

When I retrofitted the G5-r projectors I had to enlarged the hole to slip the threaded shaft through and that caused the vertical and horizontal alignments to be off. The rotation alignment is the easiest of the three while the other two I had to shim the projectors and still not get it to where I would of like.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I didn't have to enlarge the hole since the shaft slipped in without any resistance. The vertical lines in the reflector bowl allowed eyeballing the rotational placement relatively easy, but I had checked with the bulbs in during pre-fitment to make sure they're aligned before securing and tightening the lock ring in. Luckily, after baking and putting everything back together, the rotation was still good. Then it was off to check it at night, which showed the vertical was WAY low, pointing at the ground. After reading up on some advice, I found a wall behind a strip mall to adjust it. Afterwards, it was all good, I've yet to do much night driving, but the little that I did going home, I didn't get flashed, which was a good sign. I didn't do any horizontal adjustments, but will have to check on another night since those adjuster caps are currently off.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I didn't wait until night to check the horizontal distance, so I stopped by another vacant wall. The distance between the center dots of the low beam is about 54 inches. After I repositioned my vehicle, I measured the distance between the cut-offs was about 60 inches (red-far green bars). I eyeballed both headlights and see how the light was projected and determined the driver's side had seemed to be not straight, so I adjusted the driver's side inward until the distance was about 54 inches (green bars).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last weekend after I came back from getting dinner, a corner in my driver's side headlight assembly had fogged up, which is an indication that the seal wasn't good. I had mistakenly removed the original butyl when I opened it up, not realizing that it can be reused, and the new butyl I had added wasn't enough. So I dissemble everything again to get the assembly out, rebake, and reapply. This time there was butyl oozing out, which is a good sign, since it didn't happen last time. I also made sure to clamp it down when possible during curing. I also redid the passenger side for the peace of mind. Took it out for a drive this afternoon while it was raining and both sides looked good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts