Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minimum Battery Cranking Amps

Hey All,

I want to replace my stock battery temporarily this upcoming Friday. I am replacing it to reduce the weight of the vehicle. I'm replacing the stock battery with one from another vehicle. The stock battery is approximately 44-45lbs and the battery I'm replacing it with is 3lbs. The 3lb battery cranking amp is 420amp.

Can I get away with 420 cranking amps for use for approximately 4-5hrs? The outside temperature is forecasted to be between 45F down to 37F during this time. Hell, will the car even start with this amount of crank? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
24F batteries as in the RAV4 usually start at something like 525 cranking amps, so the 420 cranking amps battery probably would be marginal at best. If it's the lithium type being used as replacements for motorcycle batteries it should be unaffected by temperature. As the saying has it, there's one way to find out! Good luck on your speed runs!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
24F batteries as in the RAV4 usually start at something like 525 cranking amps, so the 420 cranking amps battery probably would be marginal at best. If it's the lithium type being used as replacements for motorcycle batteries it should be unaffected by temperature. As the saying has it, there's one way to find out! Good luck on your speed runs!
Ah great! Thanks for the feedback. I did see one listed in Autozone that was about 480 crank amps or so. I feel a little better about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts