Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we were driving to Ponce for a beautiful day at the movies. 8) But when we were coming back, I notice a rattle on the front passenger side strut. Sure enough, when I got home i peaked under the fender. The front strut was leaking. But I thought it wasn't bad. Until this morning, when I was going to work. The rattle was louder, and the strut started to jump out of control. I nursed back home and parked it. I went to SHOX.com. At $125.00 a pop, plus shipping. Their goes the weekend. I schedule for it to be installed this weekend at Felipe's Muffler shop. The same guy who did the Magnaflow Muffler on my RAV4. This time I was sure to get the SPORT struts! Life time warranty of the Bilstein struts will be claimed once the new Struts are installed. Yes, despite I only needed one shock, I order two. :? I don't want one strut Sport and the other HD. As you guys can remember, last summer, I blow the rear shock and I installed both rear Sport Shocks and it worked great. This will lower my RAV4 a little more.

this is how it will look now 8)

I'm going to have to pamper my RAV4 a little more. This weekend I'm cleaning and shining it, aaagggain. :wink:

RAV4ever

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going under. :wink:

just out of the Box

Sport Numbers

Check out the thickness of these rods

These shocks are the RAV4 SPORT Bilstein. I've got them from http://www.shox.com. also to my surprize. They also carry the K-MAC suspension line. Yes, the same one from Australia that our sister web site http://www.rav4oz.com. Good prices, fast service. This is the way you stay in business.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tankdOg, the Addco sway bars work well. Service is awesome to. Regarding the K-MAC bars, you should check with the mates down under in http://www.rav4oz.com . But, at least we can get them on this side of the world at shox.com . That is about $100.00 less in shipping, maybe more.

Stay tune tomorrow, I'll post pictures of the shocks installation and the sway bars installed. Also, while I'm at it I can also show the whole pipe wrapped with DEI Instalacion. you pickup some more ponies their also.

·
Registered
542 Posts
yap, now you got the right ones... did you ever get the bump-stop rubber to fit over the rod? i didn't so just running without the bump-stops now!! have you noticed how much stiffer they are!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
mensajero said:
tankdOg, the Addco sway bars work well. Service is awesome to. Regarding the K-MAC bars, you should check with the mates down under in http://www.rav4oz.com . But, at least we can get them on this side of the world at shox.com . That is about $100.00 less in shipping, maybe more.

Stay tune tomorrow, I'll post pictures of the shocks installation and the sway bars installed. Also, while I'm at it I can also show the whole pipe wrapped with DEI Instalacion. you pickup some more ponies their also.
K-Mac bar was $300 US to ship last I checked!! If they have stock int he USA I'll get one for sure. Still don't know how the Addco bar would work, they keep telling me it is meant for a rav4 that already has the rear swaybar hangers???

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
peterpogi2005 said:
yap, now you got the right ones... did you ever get the bump-stop rubber to fit over the rod? i didn't so just running without the bump-stops now!! have you noticed how much stiffer they are!!
Hi Pete, this time, I got the right ones. :) (at last). A bump stop is not used in these shocks believe it or not. It doesn't need them. If I try to move the rods up or down, It won't move. Regarding stiffness, I'll tell you this afternoon when I'll post the rest of the pictures.

·
Registered
880 Posts
tankd0g said:
mensajero said:

K-Mac bar was $300 US to ship last I checked!! If they have stock int he USA I'll get one for sure. Still don't know how the Addco bar would work, they keep telling me it is meant for a RAV4 that already has the rear swaybar hangers???
Hmm, not too knowledgable about K-Mac at Shox.com it seems. They said K-Mac only makes camber kits. I guess that's all they are importing from them.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check with Addco at http://www.addco.net . These guys really know their stuff. I think 40 years in business means something. Remember tankdog, ask them about the new installation kit that they have been sending everyone who bought their bars. If you buy the bar from Summit, it will not come with an installation kit. It will be send to you from Addco.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that the front struts were trashed. Bother were leaking. One was crush

This is the rear suspension with the rear bar installed. My RAV4 was in the air as you can see.

When I went to the passenger side this is what I saw. As you can see thier was shock fluid all over the place.

We had to pull it out and look what was left. The inner tube. It didn't want to come out and we had to bang it out

The kid went to work

Once installed, I went to the nearest alignment shop and had it aligned. You might ask: How does it work? Well, give it some days so the suspension can seat itself. Then I'll tell you. It look lower though. 8)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tankd0g said:
Did you pull that boot back or did it come off by itself and that's what ruined the strut seal?

Does all that zinc plated hardware you have on the Addco bar come with the bar or did you have to piece those brackets and links together yourself?
When we pulled out the strut carrier, that parts didn't want to cooperate. So we just wiggled it a little and it came off. BTW, the nut that comes on the top was removed before we tried to remove it.

I had to buy some small parts, the almost all the components came with the installation kit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Actually I meant did the tie wrap come off the strut boot or did you cut it to take that picture? Usually the struts only wear the seals out if dirt gets on the shaft. I pound the crap out of mine off road and they are doing fine but I didn't have to replace the tie wrap ont he boot once or twice, they blow off for some reason.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tankd0g said:
Actually I meant did the tie wrap come off the strut boot or did you cut it to take that picture? Usually the struts only wear the seals out if dirt gets on the shaft. I pound the crap out of mine off road and they are doing fine but I didn't have to replace the tie wrap ont he boot once or twice, they blow off for some reason.
The tie wrap came off, then I took the picture.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took her for a spin. :p It really gave me a big surprize. The suspension is solid. Steering response is crisp and quick. I guess I've put together the whole package. Front and rear sway bars, Bilstein Performance Sport shocks, Polyurethane bushings (ALL!), Yokohama tires, Front Strut tower bar. It feels great on the road. 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts