Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings... New cop here. Just got my 2015 XLE (225/65R17 factory Dunlop tires).

Think about winter (only 3 months away!!). I am going to get 225/70R16 studded snow on some 16" after market alloy wheels.

Is using 16" wheel (not on Toyota's wheel size list) going to affect my warranty?

I checked with local tire shop. They want $330 for 4 pieces of TPMS plus tax, plus the twice a year hassle of re-learning process. The local package is $500+ more expensive than tirerack after their shipping. So I will probably order from Tirerack without TPMS sensor and I will do the semi annual swapping myself - it is a small car should be easy. It is not against the law in this state but repair shops won't do it because they cannot "knowingly disable the TPMS system".

Again, is doing this myself going to affect my warranty?

Lastly, starting today most winter tires at tirerack.com has $50 rebate when buying set of 4 - ends 9/8. Just a heads up.:wink

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Screw the TPMS. Put a small piece of tape over the warning and be happy.
Or search this forum to find how to disable it.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Biggest concern is the calipers.
Toyota has a nasty habit of running tolerances extremely tight between the wheels and calipers.
Often, going to a smaller size wheel will result in interference, and in some cases, even the same size.

As for your warranty, Toyota will not be liable for any failure of or caused by the aftermarket parts.
Toyota cannot simply "void your warranty" due to the use of aftermarket parts or 3rd party labor.
Stick with the same overall diameter on the tire and there will be no difference in load on the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biggest concern is the calipers.
Toyota has a nasty habit of running tolerances extremely tight between the wheels and calipers.
Often, going to a smaller size wheel will result in interference, and in some cases, even the same size.

As for your warranty, Toyota will not be liable for any failure of or caused by the aftermarket parts.
Toyota cannot simply "void your warranty" due to the use of aftermarket parts or 3rd party labor.
Stick with the same overall diameter on the tire and there will be no difference in load on the transmission.
You are absolutely right. I checked the car and found the rear looks fine. The front calipers have something protruding a lot beyond the hub mounting surface. The spokes of the wheel must arch outwards quite a lot to clear the protruding part of the front calipers. There seems to a lot of room between the caliper's outer circumference and the rim's inner surface so the one inch reduction does not seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a set of alloy aftermarket rims. 16 inch American Racing. I also plan on putting 16's on the 2015 Rav. I put one rim on the front and it seems to clear the calipers just fine. A little less room than the 17's that came stock but still enough not to cause any problems. I ordered the General Altimax Arctics. For me it was about 140 bucks less than 17's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also. No TPMS. I will just deal with the light being on. Won't bother me a bit. I ordered the tires at Discount Tire. They matched the price from Tire Rack and gave my the 2 rebates as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts