Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
If people would share their experiences with MMO/ Toyota system cleaner/ fuel injector cleaner with regular service!
Winter is coming here in Canada, oil change is due (I will do it myself), just thinking if any of the above treatments would be beneficial?
Background: I have 2008 RAV4 V6 with 134kM(83K miles), which I bought it new and always performed Toyota recommended regular maintenance/ oil change etc on time, the vehicle has no issue and runs like new (except engine tick sound at start up when it is cold, which disappear after a while! and never happens in warmer weather).
With oil/ filter change, I also clean/ replace engine/ cabin filter MAF, Throttle Body, PCV valve, etc

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Suggest editing your post if possible and using normal sized text.

If you're referring to Marvel Mystery Oil as s gasoline additive, suggest that based upon my father's experience that it not be used. He used it regularly and the result was that the cylinder heads had to be pulled and the carbon accumulation cleaned from the combustion chambers and engine valve faces and ports. Expensive, and he was without the car for nearly a week.

Reactions: ayaz99

·
Registered
328 Posts
Marvel mystery oil is great stuff along with Seafoam. Both are excellent preventative measures from fuel system issues and carbon build up. Check youtube for a video on a lawnmower experiment. I highly recommend them IMO. It made quite a noticeable difference in my Rav4....

Reactions: ayaz99

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
A RAV4 is not a lawn mower, which is primitive.

My limited experience with Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) is dated, and it should be ****-canned. It has no place in modern motors. Back in the 50's and into the 70's the only people who swore by it were my friends riding primitive POS Harleys, me included with my '56-46-66. They changed oil more often than they changed underwear. MMO went into the drain. Its virtues were some kind of delusion.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use the following engine fluids - after 10,000 Km freq, oil still retains half of its new honey color.
- on a 2008 RAV4 v6-4x4, 2000 4Runner SR5 v6-4x4 & 1998 Silverado v8-4x4

Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic Oil, 5-L Jug / on sale this week...$10 off, so $47.98/Jug.
Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic Oil, 5-L Jug | Canadian Tire

Watch the Pennzoil Video - synthetic oil with PurePlus Technology (base stock from N-Gas & not from crude oil)
Benefits of Using Pennzoil Synthetics | United States

On wife's Gen3 RAV4, at 151,000 Km // cold winter startup is still noise free.

And a WIX 57047XP XP Extreme Duty; Best for Synthetic Motor Oils; 2.6" Tall Synthetic media filter...from RockAuto @ $12.28 Cdn. plus shipping (I buy 3-4 WIX XP's at a time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts