Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 V6 rav, and out of out of nowhere i have check engine light,fuel and smoke bailing out of the exhaust! hard time starting up and idling, hooked it up to a code reader says i have misfires in cylinders 2,4 I dont have a clue what im at with vehicles so I took it to the garage, one of my injectors were messed they fixed that and now there's no misfire, but there's still fuel going into the exhaust, it seems like they're having a hard time finding the problem, so im wondering if anyone here has had this happen to them? if so what was the problem or point me in the right direction! Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
A misfire could be an injector not firing or a bad coil, or a combination of those. Bad coils are more common than bad injectors.
A concern with this sort of problem is your catalytic converter. It can melt and destroy your o2 sensors, plug up your secondary catalytic converter, and even your muffler.

It is a good idea to change the spark plugs, coils, and take the exhaust apart for inspection/repair. I dealt with this exact problem when we bought our rav4. The plugs were worn, the coils were going bad, and the primary cat melted, plugging up the secondary cat. This blocked the exhaust completely and blew out the exhaust donut, melting the cooling fans and any wiring in that area. The extra heat in the engine from the plugged exhaust and exhaust in the engine bay overheated the remaining coils and burned them out. It was something that the previous owner should have had checked out by a competent mechanic, but finding one of those is getting tough these days. He sold it to us as "low on power". Good thing I'm a mechanic, since a diagnosis/repair like that can cost thousands, depending on how far along it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts