Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Rav4 Sport 2.5 engine with 130000 miles. The check engine light came on checked the code came back Miss fire cylinder 3. I was thinking ignition coil or spark plug.I did the following to help determine the problem. I switched the coil from cylinder 3 with the coil in cylinder 2 the spark plug from cylinder 3 with the spark plug in cylinder 4. Cleared the code. My thinking if its the coil then the check engine light will come on again it should say miss fire cylinder 2 now. Or if its the spark plug it should say miss fire cylinder 4. I have now been driving the car for about two and a half weeks and the check engine light has not came back on. Is it possible when the check engine light came on the first time it was an error? Let me add that the car before and now runs great, smooth idle no hesitation on heavy acceleration. One thing that I did notice right after the light came on the first time my average MPG went from 26.2 down to 15.6 now its back up to 18.9. Any thoughts or comments please.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a 2012 Rav4 Sport 2.5 engine with 130000 miles. The check engine light came on checked the code came back Miss fire cylinder 3. I was thinking ignition coil or spark plug.I did the following to help determine the problem. I switched the coil from cylinder 3 with the coil in cylinder 2 the spark plug from cylinder 3 with the spark plug in cylinder 4. Cleared the code. My thinking if its the coil then the check engine light will come on again it should say miss fire cylinder 2 now. Or if its the spark plug it should say miss fire cylinder 4. I have now been driving the car for about two and a half weeks and the check engine light has not came back on. Is it possible when the check engine light came on the first time it was an error? Let me add that the car before and now runs great, smooth idle no hesitation on heavy acceleration. One thing that I did notice right after the light came on the first time my average MPG went from 26.2 down to 15.6 now its back up to 18.9. Any thoughts or comments please.
Likely just a one-time thing but could be an indication that something will need to be changed. How many miles on these plugs? Many 2012 models should be approaching the point where they need new plugs. I checked mine at 100,000 km (60,000 miles) and found that the gap was way beyond spec, so I reset it. At 125,000 km I know I’m soon due for new plugs, but should still squeak another 30-40,000 out of them. You may want to check the gap but PLEASE be careful if you adjust it back to spec as the iridium tip is very susceptible to damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments. The best I can remember the plugs were changed at about 80000 miles. When I took the two plugs out they looked good I did not check the gap however.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
Since you already have an engine code scanner why don’t you just use the misfire counter function to check for any misfire count on that cylinder. Both the total and individual misfire counter should be 0 and anything else means problems. No misfire check engine code will be set by engine computer unless misfire count is way up. I have seen misfire count over 40 without the check engine light on.

Most scanners have that function. My low end $30 obd scanner also has that function unless yours is a very low end plain code reader otherwise should have that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts