Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off my Rav4 for it's 10K visit (I'm actually at 8999 as I pulled into the service bay) and was questioned why I missed the 5K visit. Honestly the 5K and 15K visits are useless to me. I check my fluids way more than I probably should and I do my own tire rotations but.....
The service personnel said it could affect any warranty claims and used the transmission going out as an example. I get the point I guess but would it really come into play during a warranty claim?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I dunno. I'm wondering the same thing. I am about 2 weeks late for my oil change and probably cant get to a dealer to do it till next week, life's events and all. I know the oil is fine being full synthetic and only 5000 km and 4 months on it. But warranty wise I hope there is no issue if I ever have to use it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've heard before that they would have to PROVE that the missed service contributed to the warranty work. So in my case for example, if a ball joint goes, it's obviously unrelated to engine oil and should be ok. But if my engine goes, they would fight me on it. Really wish I could have made my oil change deadline.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just dropped off my Rav4 for it's 10K visit (I'm actually at 8999 as I pulled into the service bay) and was questioned why I missed the 5K visit. Honestly the 5K and 15K visits are useless to me. I check my fluids way more than I probably should and I do my own tire rotations but.....
The service personnel said it could affect any warranty claims and used the transmission going out as an example. I get the point I guess but would it really come into play during a warranty claim?
Nothing says you have to use the dealer service to maintain the warranty. DIY baby! Document the date and mileage of your 5K DIY, and what you did--the fluid checks, tire rotation, visual inspection of components. Mark it in your "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" (if you use that) and note it as "Service at Home."

Basically keep a record of it somewhere with your other RAV paperwork. Do the same for your 15K if you are up to the tasks required.

Also, go into Toyota.com/owners, register your vehicle. Go to "Service History" and add that as your own service, note everything as mentioned above.

For oil changes, you do want to toe-the-line fairly closely, but a couple weeks over won't matter.

There will eventually be a time when you are relieved of your "free" dealer services. Then, for DIY services, or services done outside the dealership, you should keep up your own service history with receipts and document it to keep a tidy warranty.

·
Registered
301 Posts
......... I check my fluids way more than I probably should and I do my own tire rotations but.....

It could affect a warranty claim but only if they can prove it was the cause or contributed to the warranty claim. My wife's RAV has not seen the dealer since we purchased last year, 13,500 miles ago. I do my own service, document, and keep receipts for all. We even have the extended warranty - don't sweat it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
One objective of the 5K service is to give the dealer an opportunity to get his fingers on some of your money. They love to lean on you (in some cases it could be called coercion) for additional and/or unnecessary services or repairs at your cost. It's really pathetic how some (most?) dealers think they have to pray on those who don't know about their cars mechanical or service requirements. Just flat out lying about some service it doesn't need, and then not doing it, yet charging ten's or hundreds of dollars for some imaginary or unneeded procedure. Just hang around the service desk or waiting room some morning and listen to the service advisors story's. Disgusting what they get away with. How do you stop it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I missed my 15k service and I wont be going in til 20k for an oil change. I just have to look up how to reset the maintenance light.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok, I am lazy, but if I can get someone to rotate the tires for free, I am in. Plus if someone will change the oil for me twice, for free, I am good with that also. If they want to try and up-sell me, I can say NO just like anyone else. It also helps that the dealership is only 2 blocks from my office.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can see how it would affect your warranty because say if you're not rotating your tires and one is wearing faster than the other, that could potentially damage the transmission if that tire is on the drivetrain. But as long as you're keeping an eye on the condition of all four tires, it's not likely to come up.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Ok, I am lazy, but if I can get someone to rotate the tires for free, I am in. Plus if someone will change the oil for me twice, for free, I am good with that also. If they want to try and up-sell me, I can say NO just like anyone else. It also helps that the dealership is only 2 blocks from my office.
Like I told the guy at the service counter when I bought oil filters and he reminded me that I got free service:

An oil change takes me 20 minutes on a slow day.
An oil change at the dealership takes 2 hours (whether I have an appointment or not)
A brake job takes me a little over an hour.
An brake job at the dealership takes 4+ hours (whether I have an appointment or not)
There is a good possibility that a water pump at the dealership might require an overnight stay. I did the pump in my Tacoma in about 2 hours.

I can do the work when I'd like, not have to take time off work, not have to blow an entire Saturday.... And I know it's done right.
The dealerships do NOT put their ace techs on these routing maintenance items. 90% of the people on this forum are just as competent, if not more competent than the dealer maintenance guys.

Tire rotation and balance?
For $40 I can buy a lifetime rotation/balance at Discount Tire/America's Tire, and the wait time is usually less than an hour. If longer, there's a Best Buy across the street. My nearest Toyota dealers aren't walking distance from anything except a Ford dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I can see how it would affect your warranty because say if you're not rotating your tires and one is wearing faster than the other, that could potentially damage the transmission if that tire is on the drivetrain. But as long as you're keeping an eye on the condition of all four tires, it's not likely to come up.
Tires are generally rotated front to back only.
If one side is wearing faster, you're only going to end up with two tires that are worn faster.

You CAN do a 4-wheel cross rotation safely on most vehicles. There are myths that if you reverse the rotation on a tire you will break a belt, but the main issue is (and has been for about 30 years) many tires have a directional tread, so they have to remain on the same side.

More exotic vehicles like the Corvette and other high-end run different sizes front and rear. You CAN'T rotate the tires on these vehicles unless you dismount the tires and remount them reversed to allow the wheel to be moved to the other side.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I brought my car in to a foreign dealership today for the 5000 mile service with 6154 miles on the clock. No problemo! Service mgr. wrote it up, explained what was gonna be done, took the keys and in an hour I had my ride back with rotated tires, a record of the thread depth and tire pressure, and a topped off washer fluid tank - that's all I noticed. No charge! I did see the RAV in the work bay with a tech standing right by it after the tire rotation so I know they did look under the hood twice.

Funny thing, they offer a 5K service for free which includes an oil change and filter along with the rest of the usual stuff for certain 2011 - 2015 models, BUT, because my RAV has synthetic oil in it they will not change it till it has 10K on the clock because it is synthetic oil. They offer the same 5K service as above for $54 as well - very confusing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.