Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've got this iPod thing now. Having spent an ungodly sum of money buying this thing, I've gotta figure out what to use it for.

I have a Kenwood Excelon head unit, which does have an Aux input, but it's in the back of the unit. I thought about getting a head unit with a front panel Aux but have decided against it.

I'm looking to run an RCA-to-mini-plug cable from the Aux in back of my head unit discreetly to...well...somewhere.

I'd like to give my idea for it, and get input from whoever would be willing to give it, and get other ideas if anyone can think of a better way to do it.

I was thinking about running the cable down through the center console, past the gear shift, to the useless coin holder next to the hand brake. My thought was to modify the coin holder by drilling or burning through it to make a mini-plug sized hole, and having the mini-plug come out said hole. The beauty of this (as I see it) is that I can place the iPod in the little cup that's right behind the coin holder, and I can also charge it via the power outlet that's right there, and this way I won't have sloppy cables running all over, they'll all be mostly hidden.

Does this make sense? Has anyone done something similar? Has anyone done a nice, clean install that's different?

Pics, advice, whatever ya got would be appreciated!

Becky

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Love to help you out Becky... but I got no iPod and no 4.2 RAV. :cry:
I keep telling myself to go out and get myself one of those fancy-schmancy music thingies. Beats the hundreds of CDs that I juggle between the house and car. :lol:

Anyways, what you describe sounds completely doable. Is the iPod powered by the head unit or by a separate cable? It would be a much cleaner install if everything was transmitted via one cable. Remember the 4.1 RAVs had a screw in the bottom of the cupholder in the middle console? That would be an ideal hole to run a wire through. :thumbs_up:

Another option is to drill a hole through one of those coin holder thingies to run your cable through. If you do decide to remove the iPod and sell the RAV later, you can just buy a cheap replacement at the service dept. Please post picts. of your completed install; that will probably be the inspiration for me to get an iPod too! :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beats the hundreds of CDs that I juggle between the house and car.
LOL Derek! The CD problem I mostly solved by getting a head unit that plays MP3 CDs. If you don't eventually get some type of MP3 player you may want to at least consider that! I have one CD that has I think fourteen U2 albums on it. I spent a few hours ripping my CDs and voila! :D

As for the iPod, I could either run it without power, or get either a car charging cord or cradle. Here is the arrangement in the 4.2:

I know, it's dirty. Life's been extremely busy and the poor Rav has suffered for it.

Anyway, as you can see if I ran the mini plug up through where the coin thing is, the power as well as a handy little recessed rectangular compartment that I could put the iPod in are right there.

For shorter trips, like driving to work, I could skip the power entirely and just put it in the recessed compartment. If I wanted power, I could use a cord and still put it in the compartment, or a cradle that plugs directly into the power. I would probably opt for a cord because a cradle usually entails removing the iPod from its case, which I'd rather not do.

FWIW, today I tried one of those FM transmitter based things, similar to the car kits they have for portable satellite radio, where you set your FM radio to a blank channel and the device transmits on that frequency and broadcasts your iPod music to your car stereo. Of course I had a problem that I'm not finding in any reviews of the product I bought...it made the controls on my iPod lock up. I couldn't change songs, access a menu, or even turn the iPod off until a few seconds after I unplugged it from the device.

The device was too expensive anyway...it's going back ASAP, so I'm back to my idea described above. :roll:

Becky

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem with mounting the little bugger on the dash, which is what most people do, is that I've already got a radar detector as well as a very "busy" head unit (panel flips out, lots of lights) and because I'm very anti-clutter I was concerned it would annoy me to have an iPod in the vicinity also.

I went ahead and did it the way I originally suggested and it looks good. Here's pics (I SWEAR I'll clean the Rav as soon as I have some spare time):

iPod in:

iPod pulled out to play with the dial or whatever (there's plenty of slack in the cable):

iPod removed:

I'm sorry to say I don't have pics of the actual install because when they told me they'd only charge $17 to do the job I decided that was well worth it, especially since they had the proper tools to make a perfect hole in the coin holder. Heck, the cable was more than the install (I sprung for the Monster). Not a big deal though, take off the head unit trim, pull it out, put on the RCA-to-mini-plug, run it through the console, and there you go.

Becky

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Nice install Becky :thumbs_up: exactly what I would have done if installing an iPod in that area. Probably would have sprung the $17.00 to have it installed too. For me, not hard to do at all; but the older I get the lazier I get. :lol:

Enjoy your iPod, and let us all know what you think of it after some use in your RAV. May push me to get one too. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Nice installation! I wish I had the time to tidy up my wires. My dash looks like a total disaster, especially after I installed my XM receiver on my centre dash vents. I have wires running every which way from my Delphi RoadyXT dock (one for 12V input, one for antenna and one for line out). I plan to use the space behind the cup holder to store a 12V hub and pop out the trims (which the seat heater switch would go) to run my wires in and out of.

As for the dirty interior, mine looks way worse. My RAV4's interior is definitely overdue for the dust wand, vacuum cleaner and a fresh coat of Armor All. :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
zoomie said:
I guess I'm not the only one who has thought of using the coin holder as a slot for electronic wiring. Stay tuned to see my new idea.
It's not like it can really be used for coins. It took me 5 minutes to realize that. Take one corner and the "chclick" it makes if you've been unfortunate to put actual change there will already start to get to you.

I'd be curious to hear your ideas for another use for the slot zoomie, as the area is currently useless to me. :D

-Brian

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Becky, I just realized right now that the install could look even cleaner if you used one of the flat panel things instead of the coin holder. These are similar to the ones that are used on the dashboard. Same exact size as the coin holder except they are flat and flush with the surface area.

If you use one of those, then the cable will be sticking out of the center console and look more integrated, as if it was meant to be there. I'm probably not explaining it too well here... but you know what I mean. :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Derek, great minds think alike! :wink: What you described, using the punch-outs above the cupholder, was in fact my original plan.

I had a couple of reasons for changing my mind though:

I. I didn't want to use a dash-mounted cradle for my iPod because (1) I would have to remove the iPod from its leather case every time I placed it in the cradle, and (2) the cigarette lighter outlet is being used by my radar detector and I couldn't figure out how to neatly place a multi-outlet thing, and (3) a cluttered dash annoys the heck out of me...even the presence of the radar detector gets on my nerves sometimes.

II. Without a cradle, I would've had to place the iPod in the cupholder (not an issue most of the time, but occasionally a big issue) or lay it in the DIN pocket under the stereo (too hard to access).

That said, I think my reasons for not doing it that way are probably fairly unique to me. I'm pretty sure most people do use car cradles for their iPods and are happy with them. For those people, the punch-outs above the cupholder are DEFINITELY the way to go for the iPod cable, and I agree it would actually look pretty cool there. :thumbs_up:

Becky

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi Becky.

I don't follow the 4.2 threads very much.

Here's my suggestion.

For an even cleaner look, get an RCA to Female cable:

Flush mounted it to a blank cover thingie.

Ipod in:

Then plug in with a male to male cable:

Sig :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wow, that's very nice, great idea! I might just make that adjustment to my setup! :thumbs_up:

Becky

·
Registered
650 Posts
The hard part will be securely mounting the cable. Since you'll be plugging in, it could come loose.

If there's enought room, a better idea would be a coupler:

Trim it like this:

If you can solter:

Sig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts