Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just bought my self a lovely 1994 3door auto and was wondering if I could get some answers to a few questions I got regarding a refresh that I m trying to carry on it:
1. I cannot find the owner's manual online.. does such a thing exist?
2. I cannot find anywhere small plastic bits like the window seals, antenna, central console pockets, air vents etc.. anyone selling online?
3. There is a up/down button just under the handbrake right next to the coin case that due to symbol fade, I have no idea what it does! Any help? :)
4. Was thinking of swapping the engine with a newer unit. The idea is to make it a bit more lively, quiet and economical, so what I have in mind is something in the line of 1.6l/150bhp/150lbft, without having anything specific in mind. Maybe something out of a 2010 Corolla lets say. Newer engines seem to be much more torquey, free revving and economical. What are the views on this?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
1. I cannot find the owner's manual online.. does such a thing exist?
Here is the manual for the 1997 North American model. Not for right hand drive models, so expect some discrepancies:
https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/81/8032/803157-toyota/rav4_1997.pdf?f073d155389e3e20fa87f9c79529c2af

2. I cannot find anywhere small plastic bits like the window seals, antenna, central console pockets, air vents etc.. anyone selling online?
I can provide part numbers for any parts you seek, but I think that your best bet is finding a suitable donor in a junkyard and take it apart for what you need.

3. There is a up/down button just under the handbrake right next to the coin case that due to symbol fade, I have no idea what it does! Any help? :)
Probably an aftermarket switch, or a relocated "ECT/PWR" (or heated seat) switch?

(https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nqAAAOxy14VRQ0JS/s-l500.jpg)

(http://www.evnut.com/images/rav4/rav_mods/rav_seat_heater.jpg)
Post a picture for reference whenever you can.

4. Was thinking of swapping the engine with a newer unit. The idea is to make it a bit more lively, quiet and economical, so what I have in mind is something in the line of 1.6l/150bhp/150lbft, without having anything specific in mind. Maybe something out of a 2010 Corolla lets say. Newer engines seem to be much more torquey, free revving and economical. What are the views on this?
Not an expert on engine swaps, but I would discourage you on this. Too much undocumented compatibility issues with modern engines. There are however several threads here with 3S-GTE and 3S-GE swaps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. Thanks for the manuals!
Even if its not specifically for mine, its still helpful :)

. I have already had a deal to buy a written off car so to replace some parts.. seems to be indeed the most efficient option

. Literally I cannot believe that the RAV4 had heated seats in 1994!! Impressed!
I attach a photo of switch in question.
Its definitely not the ECT/PWR function because thats on another set of buttons.
Compared to the heated seats pic you send, mine only has one switch, not two.. dunno if its for both seats, or something completely different.

I guess I should take it to an electrician to take it apart and find out. :S

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I attach a photo of switch in question.
Compared to the heated seats pic you send, mine only has one switch, not two.. dunno if its for both seats, or something completely different.
I guess I should take it to an electrician to take it apart and find out. :S
It seems that someone repurposed a "powered antenna up/down" switch from another Toyota model. If it's not for something obvious like fog lights or some other aftermarket addition, I agree that an auto-electrician will solve the mystery.
(The surrounding square trim unclips easily. Just use a finger at the notch in front of the base of the handbrake lever and pry upwards)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a visit to the electrician's turns out its the parking assisting antenna fitted to japanese imports.. its broken that's why couldn't figure it out
Really hoped it was a heated seats switch, but its still a great little car!

Thanks for the help though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mick, I have been all over the place to find air vents but everything i found was broken as well. I checked at least 5 other in junk yards but nothing
Do you know where to buy new, or maybe if the vents from another toyota model would fit?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Mick, I have been all over the place to find air vents but everything i found was broken as well.
Do you know where to buy new, or maybe if the vents from another toyota model would fit?
Probably because they are trying to pry just the grilles off without removing them properly (by disassembling the dash and taking them out as a unit with their respective bases).
Unfortunately, no other Toyota shares the same vents as the Rav4.

Part numbers for the vents are:
55650-42010-C0, REGISTER ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL, NO.1 (driver's side vent for your right hand drive 94 Rav4)
55660-42010-B0, REGISTER ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL, NO.2 (passenger's side vent for your right hand drive 94 Rav4)
55670-42010-C0, REGISTER ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL, CENTER (central double vent)
55680-14030-B1, REGISTER ASSY, INSTRUMENT PANEL, LOWER NO.1 (horizontal vent below the steering wheel, aimed at your genitalia)

I don't know why some of them are black ("-C0" suffix) and others are bluish gray ("-B0" and "-B1" suffixes). "-C0" can be applied to the rest of them, I just quoted what results I got for a 1994 Japanese 3-door auto Rav4.
Amayama seem to have them new in stock but at dear prices.

Here are some results I got from ebay (customs and shipping costs seem prohibitive to me):
96-00 Toyota Rav4 Heater AC Air Dash Vent Set Black Grey | eBay
96 97 98 99 00 Toyota Rav4 oem center dash mounted heater heat ac air vent vents | eBay
1998 Toyota Rav4 Dash Air Vents Heat A/C Black 55687-42020 55670-420 Stock OEM | eBay
96 97 98 99 00 Toyota Rav4 oem far left dash mounted heater heat ac air vent | eBay
1996 97 1998 Toyota Rav 4 L/Front A/C Air Conditioner Vent #A-58K | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts