Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My New Rav4 2017 has a cigarette lighter (power port) for the back seat area on the center console that I would like to change out to a USB power port. Does anyone know how to take off the back console cover to access the power port.

Thanks
KenK

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the Anker dual unit from Amazon and it works great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the 2017 Rav4 have a cigarette lighter (aux) port standard on all models in the back?

EDIT: Follow-up question: Does the rear dual-USB option *replace* the existing power port?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys The dual-USB option is OK if I don't want to use the cover and leave it open all the time.
I just want to know how to remove the rear console cover to change out the power port.

KenK

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey guys The dual-USB option is OK if I don't want to use the cover and leave it open all the time.
I just want to know how to remove the rear console cover to change out the power port.

KenK
If you look at the back cover where the outlet is mounted, you'll see a joint. Just use a panel tool and pull out the back piece. It's just snapped in. I'd leave the 12 volt alone. Or maybe add another USB outlet next to it if you're fussy about closing the cover. The outlet can be used to power other things like a cooler, inverter, rear dashcam for eg.

Reactions: Kenney

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
What Butt's said, I added a 12V outlet on my '15 Ltd inside the console for phone charging out of sight, the back of the console is easy to remove. I ran a 12ga wire direct to the driver's fuse panel so the outlet was always hot.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you want to have USB input for radio, You can use a USB hub.
Up to 2 USB thumb drives can work via USB hub. I was not able to run more than 2 USB thumb drives.
So you will have front and rear USB input. Powered USB hub is proffered, but passive will work too.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did 2 things. First thing is, the amazon dual USB (here: Cable Matters (2-Pack) 10W 2A Mini Dual-USB Car Charger in Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH3USBE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PzFrzbQ4HZE28 ). The plastic cover actaully closes and snaps shut with these adapters. This option is great because if I ever want/need 12V cigarette port for my air compressor or inverter, it would be available. Then I added this: Tonsiki Dual Usb Phone Motorcycle Waterproof Cigarette Lighter Socket Set Splitter 12v 2.1a Charger Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBKO2YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6DFrzb3FMAVD4 ), to the inside of the center console box. I tapped this into the very same rear cigarette port. Neat, out of sight, adding up to 6 USB ports, with 2 cigarette ports available.

To your original query, about removing the rear port, just gently pry the whole rear plastic panel directly away from the center console. It's held in with clips. No screws. Highly recommend a plastic panel removal tool kit.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not all USB chargers are the same.
Sounds like it is simple. 5V USB, but not.
For example I have 3 devices. HTC One, Nikon camera and an iPad. They charge faster if I use original charger.
I simply cannot find one universal USB charger. Nikon actually requires 5.1V. iPad need 5V 1A. HTC is very stubborn and will actually tell the charging is slow.
You can get a USB tester to try all your USB chargers and devices.
Some devices will automatically adjust Amp consuming based on voltage drop.
So, my point is to keep 12V outlet and not install built-it USB ports.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
As mmorgan1865 said in his post these are great from Amazon.com:
AUKEY Car Charger, ULTRA COMPACT Dual Port 4.8A Output (2-Pack) for iPhone iPad Samsung & Others - Black

Yes you can close the cover on the power port so don't need to replace the unit.

thanks everybody.
KenK

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went this route in the rear compartment panel -- Left outlet is a pair of "PowerPole" connectors for my portable fridge/freezer, center is the stock 12V lighter, right is a combo USB-A, USB-C 3.0 and volt meter.

View attachment 158097

1 - 14 of 14 Posts