Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to install an auto dimming mirror with Homelink.

Photos and instructions here.

Installation wasn't too bad, took the most time to remove the upper ceiling console and figure out which wires to connect to.
Also, didn't want to break or burn up my wife's new RAV4... :shock:

1. Removed mirror. Needed to grasp the plastic cover and give it a slight twist to pop it off. Once that is out of the way, you'll press on the clip on the bottom where the mirror connects to the glass and slide it on up.

2. Place new mirror onto glass button. Tighten to specs.

3. Remove upper ceiling console. Remove 12 pin connector from this console. Place on seat.

4. Unplug the 10 pin connector from the sunroof controller.

5. Run the mirror wires into the console area. Using the supplied connectors that came with the auto dimming mirror, connect the wires as follows:

a. Constant to big Blue wire
b. ACC to small Blue wire
c. Ground to big White w/Black stripe

Note: You could run the supplied harness down the A-pillar if wanted (this is how the supplied instructions showed the install). I figured this would work just as good, allowing me not to mess with side curtains...

6. Wrap up wires and reconnect to sunroof controller.

7. Reconnect upper ceiling console and reinstall.

8. Program Homelink.

9. Enjoy driving at night and not having to have a remote.

Questions? I'll try my best to answer them...

Hope this helps anyone else that wants this mod.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A few questions that pop up while reviewing that:
1 - Is the wiring that easy? Did they come with those clips that cut into the needed wiring or did you buy and use those?
2 - How was it running the wiring from the mirror up under the headliner where it meets the windshield and into the upper console? Was it difficult?
3 - After removing the black cover piece from the stock mirror mount, it just slips off the connector glued to the windshield and the aftermarket mirror slips right on to that mount? No other mounts need to be installed or anything?

Wow - If that is all there is to doing that I'm definetly getting one!!

Thanks much for the pics and detailed instruction!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To answer your questions:

1 - Is the wiring that easy? Did they come with those clips that cut into the needed wiring or did you buy and use those?

Yes. All items (clips) are included for install. I did use a vampire connector for the ground since I didn't want to unbolt anything though...

2 - How was it running the wiring from the mirror up under the headliner where it meets the windshield and into the upper console? Was it difficult?

After you take out the upper console, you'll notice that there is indentations for these wires already there. Easy to run the wires, just needed to pull the front of the headliner down a few mm and run the wire into the console area.

3 - After removing the black cover piece from the stock mirror mount, it just slips off the connector glued to the windshield and the aftermarket mirror slips right on to that mount? No other mounts need to be installed or anything?

Right. You just need to push a clip a little bit and slide the whole mirror up. The new auto dimming mirror slides back on and you tighten it up with a set screw.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Group buy info on this and other auto dimming mirrors:

I negotiated a price for these mirrors from an on-line vendor. These are the same OEM mirrors you would purchase if bought from the dealership.

Here is the prices for the mirrors:

Description/Part Number/Price ($US)

Mirror w/NVS feature GTX hrns/50-GENK2/$64.00

NVS w/Map Lamps GTX hrns/50-GENK3/$84.00

NVS Comp Only w/ GTX Hrns/50-GENK5/$140.00

NVS Comp/Temp Mirror/50-GENK20/$165.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/ Map lights/50-GENK30/$195.00

NVS Mirror w/ Homelink/50-GENK40/$179.00

NVS Mirror w/ Hmlk, Mood Lts./50-GENK42/$185.00

NVS w/Comp & Homelink/50-GENK45/$195.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/Hmlk/50-GENK50/$265.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/Map Lts./50-GENK60/$295.00

Link to see the mirrors. Shipping is around $13 (est). Includes all items to install in your vehicle.

Note: I orderd and installed the 50-GENK40 ($192/shipped).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cool! Awesome job. Thanks for the step-by-step. I'm thinking of getting the 50-GENK5 (compass only). It should be the same exact install.

How do I go about getting the price you negotiated for ($140 vs $155) ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kuj said:
Cool! Awesome job. Thanks for the step-by-step. I'm thinking of getting the 50-GENK5 (compass only). It should be the same exact install.

How do I go about getting the price you negotiated for ($140 vs $155) ?
You'll need to call them at the toll free number (from the above link) and tell them you're with RAV4 world. They should have a web page next week for us to sign into and it will automatically give us the discount.

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...

Can one of these mirrors be installed on a RAV that does NOT have a sunroof?

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
milagro said:
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...

Can one of these mirrors be installed on a RAV that does NOT have a sunroof?

Thanks
You should be able to - just need to run the harness down the A-pillar to a power source (+12 VDC, ACC and to ground). There's more than enough harness to do so... That's how the instructions show you how to install it.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey Johnny,

Can you email me the instructions if they are in PDF format? If you dont have them, is there a website that has the instructions? Thanks!

Tom

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks Johnny. Please do so and perhaps you can upload them to this website?

P

·
0 Posts
Johnny,

In your instructions, does it state how to reset the homelink mirror (ie wipe out the garage door codes)? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
franco90 said:
nice very impress with out come i will see if it can be done to a 4.1 RAV4 . the problem is the mount of the mirror on 4.1 but there is a will there is a way
It should fit all Toyota's (according to the vendor).

purduealum91 said:
Johnny,

In your instructions, does it state how to reset the homelink mirror (ie wipe out the garage door codes)? Thanks!

Tom
I believe it does, but all you need to do is hold the outer homelink buttons for 20 or so seconds (until the LED flashes very fast).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okie dokie. Canadian members will be charged an additional $28US for shipping.

Make sure you indicate that this is an Autoclub purchase.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the idea of the additional map lights, for the facotry ones on the upper console would cause more of a distraction for the driver. I think the only way i can get these with the Homelink is with temperature gause as well. How does the Temp. gauge work? Wouldn't you need to wire in an outside sensor?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the mirror with the temp sensor, you'll need to run the sensor to the outside of the vehicle - if you go to the web site where you can purchase the mirrors, you'll find install instructions outlining this.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts
About this Discussion
249 Replies
84 Participants
Gato26
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing