Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
After reading all of the successful stories of their installs, I feel pretty stupid! I have the mirror, it is installed, the wires are down the pillar and ready to be connected. However, what wire is what?! I have a black, red and yellow wire. Which is the ground that should be wired to a bolt and what is the power? Red or yellow? What do I do with the extra wire? Help please!

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
cougar548 said:
After reading all of the successful stories of their installs, I feel pretty stupid! I have the mirror, it is installed, the wires are down the pillar and ready to be connected. However, what wire is what?! I have a black, red and yellow wire. Which is the ground that should be wired to a bolt and what is the power? Red or yellow? What do I do with the extra wire? Help please!
Normally, in the car audio installer world, black would be ground, red would be constant 12V power, and yellow would be switched 12V power. Attach the black to a bolt, attach the red to a source of constant 12 volts, and the yellow to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on (like the radio power or the front power socket).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
junebug1701 said:
cougar548 said:
Normally, in the car audio installer world, black would be ground, red would be constant 12V power, and yellow would be switched 12V power. Attach the black to a bolt, attach the red to a source of constant 12 volts, and the yellow to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on (like the radio power or the front power socket).
Or if you only want the Homelink to work while the key is in the ignitiion, connect the yellow and the red to the ACC/Switched power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A Successful Install!

Thanks to the Rav4World community, I successfully installed the 50-Gentek41A mirror. Just followed everyone's advice and now it works perfectly. I shortened and soldered the homelink and auto dimming wires together and tapped into the switched line (small blue wire). I also shortened and soldered the ground wire and tapped into the larger black and white wire. Let me say, if I could do this, anyone can. Thanks everyone!

KM

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Rsal said:
Just ordered a Gentex auto dimming mirror GENK45A from Brand New Auto for $213.75 with free shipping. Thanks for this great info and install thread. :D
But wouldn't you lose your backup camera? That was the only reason I went with my Homelink setup instead of going for the Gentech mirrors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wing_woo said:
But wouldn't you lose your backup camera? That was the only reason I went with my Homelink setup instead of going for the Gentech mirrors.
Hello wing_woo,
My Rav4 did not come with a back-up camera so I did not have to work around that option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
do the cargo lights not have the right wires to connect the mirror with. If all you need is(+12 VDC, ACC and to ground), does the lights not have that

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced my standard mirror in my '08 Limited tonight. I bought one on eBay...listed as Amber Gentex Homelink, Compass, Auto Dim, Mirror Kit. The seller is Member id sales-at-dnd-enterprises. He has a 100% rating and I am totally pleased. The mirror was listed as used...but it turned out to be new in a box '08 Mazda mirror. For $150 it solves many of my missing features that were standard on my '03 RAV-4.

My only other thought was not buying the same type of mirror with a rear-view camera monitor. Just could not justify the total bill for one more feature.

Installation was very easy following all the tips on the forum. My advice is do not push on the mirror release clip...you pull/lift on it. Wire the two 12v wires to the small blue wire. (Yes I have a roof top window) This way a thief cannot open your garage door. Setting the compass was a piece of cake...just set it to your region. Programming the Homelink was simple after checking the www.homelink.com site and searching for the model of car. Actually I needed to push the learn button on my garage door opener and then push a Homelink button. WOW...how simple.

This mirror should be standard on all RAV-4's. Toyota marketing missed out on this opportunity.

BTW...the eBay seller shipped the box immediately and it arrived in two days via Priority Mail. It was packed into the original box, and then nicely packed into a Postal box. I could not be happier with this seller and highly recommend him.

edit: BTW, the new mirror gives a wider field of view. This helps reduce the blind spots on the driver side rear side windows. Man that is great to see more and gives you more confidence when making lane changes and parking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Purchase Auto Dimming Mirrors

Johnny said:
For people that want to order one of these (or similar) mirrors, they created a web page with our pricing on it:

Purchase Auto Dimming Mirrors.

I'm double checking Canadian pricing...

Thanks to all for the info about the mirrors. I am so glad that I found this site. I bought my Rav Monday and am so happy. I have looked for two yrs and finally decided to spend the money and buy myself an almost brand new Rav. I love this site already and just joined this evening. Thanks again to everyone.
James

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto dimming mirror for RAV4 2011

Hi Johnny,

Just bought 2011 RAV4 sport model, which has Moon Roof on it. I wonder if the installation procedures for RAV4 2006 and 2008 can be used?

I assume the autodimming mirror part does not have to be from Toyota as long as they are compatible with RAV4.

Any body can help?

Thanks

Sheriff

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm looking to do this project with the backup camera option. What part # would I need for the mirror and where can I source oem camera?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys ! I'm new on this forum, as my father owns a 2006 RAV4 Sport, w/o sunroof. I'm planning to install a Gentex 50GENK40A tomorrow, so any useful comments are welcome tonight.

I know, I'll have to remove the A pillar trim, so is there a complete DIY only for this purpose ? For the ground, I'm planning to take it on a screw, near the ceiling console, and for the constant, I'll find a live wire near the ceiling console as well, supplying the top reading light.

So my main matter is the ACC wire. Any trick to remove the A trim pillar ? Also, I'll try to find the light blue wire (ACC) under the steering wheel, on the left, to connect my wire. Is it really necessary to remove completely the trim, as my father's RAV4 does'nt have the side curtain airbags ? It might be possible to lift gently the trim, and move the small wire under ?

Any comment idea are very welcome quickly !

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, I've search the site very well but have not found an answer to my question so if I missed it, please direct me to the correct link. I have a homelink mirror I would like to install but do not have the sunroof. Can anybody tell me a good place to tap for switched power? Maybe a description or picture of the wire? I would like to have the homelink work only when the acc is on.

Thank you

201 - 220 of 250 Posts
About this Discussion
249 Replies
84 Participants
Gato26
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing