Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
ok, I've search the site very well but have not found an answer to my question so if I missed it, please direct me to the correct link. I have a homelink mirror I would like to install but do not have the sunroof. Can anybody tell me a good place to tap for switched power? Maybe a description or picture of the wire? I would like to have the homelink work only when the acc is on.

Thank you
You could just run your ground and acc from your 12v power outlet or you could run them from your interior fuse box, whatever is easier for you. 30 minute job.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
ok, I've search the site very well but have not found an answer to my question so if I missed it, please direct me to the correct link. I have a homelink mirror I would like to install but do not have the sunroof. Can anybody tell me a good place to tap for switched power? Maybe a description or picture of the wire? I would like to have the homelink work only when the acc is on.

Thank you
My RAV came with a Gentex autodimming mirror and I don't have a sunroof. When the mirror was installed at the port, they went from the junction box in the left kick panel, up the A pillar, and under the front edge of the headliner over to the mirror. I tapped into that wire for my Homelink transmitter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to you both for quick replies!

I was thinking about coming down the driver's side A pillar and tapping a line near the fuse panel. I guess the easiest would be to tap the 12V power outlet although it is a bit further of a run than I wanted. Veliksam, you mentioned tapping from the fuse box. Do you mean run a new line and fuse? How do you do that?

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
Thanks to you both for quick replies!

I was thinking about coming down the driver's side A pillar and tapping a line near the fuse panel. I guess the easiest would be to tap the 12V power outlet although it is a bit further of a run than I wanted. Veliksam, you mentioned tapping from the fuse box. Do you mean run a new line and fuse? How do you do that?
I was thinking maybe a mini fuse tap, they sell them on eBay and your local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, I bought the wrong size fuse tap and ended up tapping into what I think was the power for the rear cigarette lighter. I used a multimeter to measure the resistance and I think I found the same wire up front. The more I think about it, the more I worry - - maybe I tapped something else - something important that I shouldn't have. The mirror is working fine and is on switched power but I am thinking of moving the power source just to err on the side off caution. Any suggestions? Like what size power tap do I need?

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
If it's powering off then it's shouldn't be a problem, I can't see what could go wrong. Keep in mind, the mini fuse taps they sell well stick out a little bit because Toyota's fuses are very mini/small, so if you wanted to use one of the taps and don't mind it sticking out then you could use it, you just won't be able to put the lid/top back on the fuse box.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks to all for info in this thread. I bought a used gentex from a 2011 infiniti G37x on ebay for $75, installed it this evening in about 25 minutes. Seems to work great, now I can dump my two garage door openers that don't fit on these hugely thick sunvisors :)

btw, to all considering this, grab a Nissan or Infiniti and the compass readout is amber and matches the rav interior lighting, instead of being blue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Johnny, why did n't you buy an original RAV4 dimming rear vision mirror?
Do they not exist, or are they to expensive?
When I saw the pic's of the roof with the cable and connector, I should say: buy an original mirror, click the connector in and ready. Just like VW, Skoda, Audi. But maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed using the instructions here. Thank you!

Update on the connections for a 4.4 LXE with sun roof:3

black/white wire (ground) to black (pin 1 of mirror)
large blue wire (const +12) to black/red stripe (pin 3 of mirror)
large black wire (ACC, switched) to black with white dash (pin 4 of mirror)

All to find out that my old Wayne Dalton is not homelink compatible....

·
16,418 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good job on the install! You can buy a Homelink receiver that wires into your garage door opener button circuit bypassing the built-in receiver totally! It's a lot cheaper than a new opener.

Multicode - Gate or Garage Door Opener Receiver - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com

Linear 3089 1-Channel Visor Transmitter - Garage Door Remote Controls - Amazon.com
Thanks! I ended up getting a new Genie garage door which is apparently more universal with the homelink mirrors from Gentex. My opener is going on 25 years so figured it was a good time to upgrade

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a PITA re wiring!

I transferred the HomeLink/compass/autodim mirror from my Forester to my girlfriend's 2006 RAV4. Although the car harness wiring is described all over this thread, I read all 24 pages and couldn't learn what to do with the 3 wire harness that came with the mirror. I finally learned that one wire does nothing (the silver black coated one). All power is received with the black/white striped wire and the middle wire (black coated copper) is ground. Connecting the black/white striped wire to the thin blue switched thin blue wire is the answer. All is well. What that third mirror wire is for, I'll never know.

·
16,418 Posts
That 3rd wire was for a temperature sensor input. Some of those mirrors have a temperature display as well as compass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Connecting a the mirror wiring

If your mirror comes with a 3 wire harness wire, the black wire with white stripe is the input that operated HomeLink, compass and auto dimming. The CENTER wire of the three is the ground. The all black silver wire has no function for this mirror and is said to be the temp input for those who may have that function on their mirror.

So, connect the black with white stripe to the thin blue moonroof harness, and the center ground wire to the white with black stripe wire on your moonroof harness. This arrangement only powers the mirror features when the ignition is on. Your garage door will not be opened by someone in your car unless they have an ignition key (safest).

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your mirror comes with a 3 wire harness wire, the black wire with white stripe is the input that operated HomeLink, compass and auto dimming. The CENTER wire of the three is the ground. The all black silver wire has no function for this mirror and is said to be the temp input for those who may have that function on their mirror.

So, connect the black with white stripe to the thin blue moonroof harness, and the center ground wire to the white with black stripe wire on your moonroof harness. This arrangement only powers the mirror features when the ignition is on. Your garage door will not be opened by someone in your car unless they have an ignition key (safest).
At least on mine, all 3 wires have a purpose and wired as:

mirror dimming is only on when car is on
homelink is always on
ground is ground

You could wire everything to ACC power if desired as mentioned to be safer but less convenient.

·
16,418 Posts

homelink is always on
ground is ground

You could wire everything to ACC power if desired as mentioned to be safer but less convenient.
So, somebody could break your glass, push the button, and open the garage door? I have my Homelink wired to only work when the key is on.

·
Registered
8 Posts

homelink is always on
ground is ground

I thought that was how it would be wired, but not in my case. That 3d wire did nothing in my tests connecting it directly to my battery. My mirror harness has a little jumper wire at the plug at the mirror connection. That may be the culprit, but it's impossible to determine what it does visually.

Bad idea having that homelink convenience. People don't think about it much, but someone steals your car at an event or the mall. Your registration or Navigator unit tells them where you live, and your car lets them in and provides them with an escape vehicle!!!!!! Not so good. At least hide your geg papers and anything with your address and name. Next, put some neighbor's (that you don't care for) address in the navigator as "Home".

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought that was how it would be wired, but not in my case. That 3d wire did nothing in my tests connecting it directly to my battery. My mirror harness has a little jumper wire at the plug at the mirror connection. That may be the culprit, but it's impossible to determine what it does visually.

Bad idea having that homelink convenience. People don't think about it much, but someone steals your car at an event or the mall. Your registration or Navigator unit tells them where you live, and your car lets them in and provides them with an escape vehicle!!!!!! Not so good. At least hide your geg papers and anything with your address and name. Next, put some neighbor's (that you don't care for) address in the navigator as "Home".
Agree but no different than the typical sun visor opener. For me I'd prefer they come to the house so I can catch them on video surveillance :)

Homelink wiring instructions state you can wire it either way so both are ok.

Red* – This wire powers HomeLink
functions. You must choose whether to
connect to 12v+ Constant power (unit will
function anytime vehicle power is on) OR
12v+ Ignition Controlled power (unit will
function only when key is ON).

White* – This wire powers Module button
backlighting. Connect to Illumination/
Backlighting power (Module button
backlighting will illuminate when vehicle
lights are on) or Ignition Controlled power
or (Module button backlighting will
illuminate only when key is ON).
Black – Connect to Chassis Ground.

*If desired, both the Red and White wires
can be connected to the same wire
supplying Ignition Controlled power.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts
About this Discussion
249 Replies
84 Participants
Gato26
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing