Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Correct.....Those visor mounted remotes are risky. Created in a day when folks didn't even lock their houses!!!
Red, White??? There are obviously numerous variations of the product. Mfg instructions would alweays be welcomed, but when moving the mirror from car to car, instructions are often history.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another Successful Install!

Hi All, newbie here.. just wanted to add my thanks to the OP and everyone else that shared their mirror install / upgrade experiences. Being an owner of a 2011 RAV4 for about 10 days now, I was easily convinced this was a quick and worthwhile upgrade.

An update on sources for mirrors - after much eBay searching, I found a seller called "camsmirrors" that seems to have every Gentex variant under the sun. I settled on a model 453 (Homelink, compass, auto-dim, amber display). Didn't need / want the temp and OnStar, but those were available too. He said the model 453 came off a 2007-2008 Nissan Maxima.

I highly recommend this seller. He provided all the taps, zip ties, connectors, wire cover & pigtail needed. All I needed was some add'l 18ga wire from Radio Shack for my non-sunroof model with the longer wire run. I bought it Monday, and it arrived on Wednesday. $112.33 for the mirror, shipping included. The mirror itself is in perfect shape, not a scratch on it.

The instructions on this and the other thread were well done and easy to follow. The only snag was getting that clip on the A-pillar rotated 90 to remove the panel. After a lot of fiddling I finally got it loose. I'm happy with how it looks, and the amber display is worth finding IMHO.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Thanks for the info, BuffFan! Now how about a picture of your mirror?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the info, BuffFan! Now how about a picture of your mirror?
Done! added the image to my post. Sorry for the grainy pic, taken in a dark garage at night with a cell phone..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds good. So would it be even easier to replace a mirror with only the rear cam with a mirror that has more features (temp, compass...)?

The mirror I have is weird, no compass, it is auto-dimming, but the rear cam is a very small square at the top left of the mirror. Really hard to see what's going on behind me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Test as you go

Installed mine yesterday, and here's what I wish I'd known first:

The cable unplugs from the back of the mirror. It's easier to unplug it, then splice on wire extensions, on the work bench instead of in your car. It's also easier to check for continuity between the plug and the end of the wire. (I clipped a safety pin to my tester.)

If you're using those "vampire clips," use a volt meter to make sure they really bite into the the car wires before attaching the mirror wires. Use a continuity test for the ground.

In sum, I found the connectors to be oddly finicky, and would recommend testing everything as you assemble it, instead of waiting until it's all done, then having to take it apart.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
The cable unplugs from the back of the mirror. It's easier to unplug it, then splice on wire extensions, on the work bench instead of in your car. It's also easier to check for continuity between the plug and the end of the wire. (I clipped a safety pin to my tester.)

If you're using those "vampire clips," use a volt meter to make sure they really bite into the the car wires before attaching the mirror wires. Use a continuity test for the ground.
If by "vampire clips", you mean Scotchloks, you need to make sure and get the red ones. The blue ones are made for a larger gauge of wire and don't bite into the smaller gauge wire used in vehicle interiors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, Scotchloks. All my connectors were provided by the eBay seller Camsmirrors, whom I highly recommend.

Strangely, some of the basic connections failed. I've been using crimp-on connectors for decades and it's the first time I've seen simple butt connectors not provide continuity. That's why I recommend double-checking all connections as you make them.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts
About this Discussion
249 Replies
84 Participants
Gato26
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing