Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 250 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
How do i remove the ceiling instrument panel...it doesnt look like its going to pop out easy. I'm trying to wire up my sirius receiver.

K

·
0 Posts
Does the auto dimming mirror come with a garage door opener?

Does anybody know if the optional auto dimming mirror (Option Code N1) come with a garage door opener feature aside from the compass. There seems to be buttons underneath the mirror. Are these for something else?

I just placed an order for a SPORT V6 today. I will have the dealer add the auto dimming mirror if it has the opener feature.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: Does the auto dimming mirror come with a garage door ope

KingKyu said:
Does anybody know if the optional auto dimming mirror (Option Code N1) come with a garage door opener feature aside from the compass. There seems to be buttons underneath the mirror. Are these for something else?

I just placed an order for a SPORT V6 today ($500 above invoice). I will have the dealer add the auto dimming mirror if it has the opener feature.
These (Option Code N1) do not come with the homelink option.

Improve your driving comfort with an Auto-dimming Mirror, built-in sensors detect headlight glare and automatically dim the mirror to reduce eyestrain. The digital compass provides directional information at your fingertips. Outside temperature feature is available on certain models. See a Toyota Parts Professional for more information.
Button(s) just turns on/off the auto dimming feature and compass.

Note: Now this doesn't mean that your dealer might be able to get you a mirror with homelink, just that the one that Toyota sells for an accessory for the RAV4 doesn't have it...

N

·
0 Posts
Where can i get this panel remove tool? I've tried everything I have, screwdrivers, and other wider things.....It doesnt even budge and i've got to the point where its almost started to damage it....This doesnt pop off easy, Maybe I'll have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't use a tool myself, just got my fingers under the lip and pried it off.

Takes a lot of force to get it out. Almost seems like you're going to break it. This is one design feature I'm not too fond of...

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Group buy info on this and other auto dimming mirrors:

I ordered and was charged $183 shipped for the 50-GENK40, but they shipped me the 50-GEN51, which should be $270 shipped. Should I feel guilty :twisted:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

You should feel very guilty :lol: & send me the difference in price.

Let us know how easy the install was.

S

·
0 Posts

Your directions were very good. I just don't know what this vampire connector is your are talking about. Did you take off the ring terminal and just use one of those little connectors that have a piece of metal that clamps down on the harness ground wire and the mirror grond wire at the same time making a connection? :?:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

This is a vampire connector (SCOTCH LOKS [INSULATON DISPLACEMENT CONNECTOR]):

I clipped off the ring and used the vampire connector to install the ground wire to ground (Big White wire w/Black stripe).

S

·
0 Posts

Thanks, that is exactly what I bought this morning at Home Depot. The package I bought had mixed sizes, what size did you use? :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

sstarrx3 said:
Thanks, that is exactly what I bought this morning at Home Depot. The package I bought had mixed sizes, what size did you use? :D
I think I used the 12 - 10 ga. (dark blue) one. I'll double check when I get home.

K

·
0 Posts
So does splicing the wires void the waranty? I was thinking of making a cable assembly that will go in between the built in connectors and making cuts on this instead.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
KingKyu said:
So does splicing the wires void the waranty? I was thinking of making a cable assembly that will go in between the built in connectors and making cuts on this instead.
It shouldn't, unless this causes a problem (that can be directly connected to this install). I think this is how Toyota does it also, but not 100% sure. Just from info I can find in places...

Good idea about creating an assembly. Something to look into.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was thinking of making a cable assembly that will go in between the built in connectors and making cuts on this instead.
I love this idea because any break in the insulation is an opportunity for corrosion to start. If you find a source for the connector that mates to the unused one under the switch panel, or the pair that go inline with the sunroof connector, please let us all know.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Thanks Johnny! I did a compass/temp mirror install on my old '01 (feels funny to say that already... :? ), but my dealer offered to install one for $200, so I'm losing the DIY hassle this time around. :wink:

Maybe if I ever have a garage and need the homelink, I'll get that one myself... 8)

K

·
0 Posts
I love this idea because any break in the insulation is an opportunity for corrosion to start. If you find a source for the connector that mates to the unused one under the switch panel, or the pair that go inline with the sunroof connector, please let us all know.
I will. Right now I'm still waiting for my V6 Sport to arrive. I don't have an actual sample to look at so it's hard for me to find the connector mates. Possible places I will look at is newark.com or digikey.com. I will try to see if Toyota parts department can give me a part no. also, or better yet maybe they sell those things.

S

·
0 Posts

Johnny said:
sstarrx3 said:
I ordered and was charged $183 shipped for the 50-GENK40, but they shipped me the 50-GEN51, which should be $270 shipped. Should I feel guilty :twisted:
You should feel very guilty :lol: & send me the difference in price.

Let us know how easy the install was.
Finally got my Homelink/Temp/Compass mirror and Mud Guards installed yesterday evening. The mirror works nice. I decided to pass on the hassel of setting up the Temperature since the RAV has this already, and the fact that I didn't pay for that feature it was a freebie. The autodimmer and compass work great. The temp says 'OC' all the time under the direction indicator. If anybody asks what it means, I will just say 'OverClocked', that this is a specical addition RAV4 :lol: The mud guards were pretty easy to install as well. The instructions make it sound much harder than it was. Took all of 40 minutes to do all four wheels. Drill goes through that fiberglass like hot :D butter

·
Registered
120 Posts
My new V6 did not come with a auto dimming/compass mirror :cry: But I have some great news I just saved a bunch of money by switching to geico. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding... I just purchased the Compass/Temperature Dual Display Mirror With Map Lights 50-GENK30 from them can't wait to get it... Thanks Johnny :D

21 - 40 of 250 Posts