Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a pretty simple mod that will allow your 12 volt power outlets in the console and cargo areas to be hot even when the ignition switch is off. The power outlet below the A/C controls will not be affected--it's on a different circuit and will still be tied to the ignition.

Start by removing the panel above the hood release. If you're careful, you can use a thin blade screwdriver to pop it loose on the right hand side. Use a rag to keep from scratching the adjacent panel. Once you get that top right corner loose, you can pull the panel towards you and remove it:

Notice the 3 blue relays on the left. The relay we want is the one in the middle.

Remove the power relay by pulling it straight out. You may have to rock it back and forth a bit. To make it easier for my big hands, I removed the pink IG1 relay first.

Now that the relay is out, you can see how I soldered a jumper wire across the copper colored contacts. This completes the circuit to the power outlets regardless of whether the relay is picked up or not.

Try to solder the jumper wire as close to the relay housing as possible, so it can be re-inserted into the socket.

Others have left the relay out and inserted a jumper wire across the relay socket. That works fine but be sure to use the proper crimp connectors on the jumper. This is a handy mod if you want to use 12 volt accessories, especially in the cargo area.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Gbcue said:
Please note that the wire should be at least 12ga or lower due to the fact the power outlets can handle 10A.
I think that 18 AWG would be quite adequate for a 15 amp fused circuit. The rules and practices are much different for short automotive runs than for AC house wiring. Take a look at the wire size used to power the power taps. The existing wire to the front jack looks about like about #18 with thin insulation to me. I measured 1.4 mm OD on the wire insulation.

See the term "chassis wiring" in http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great tip. I often wondered why Toyota didn't have power to those all the time. I also have an 05 Corolla with a power point in the console, I will have to find the relay for that one also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put a jumper in my 03 tacoma for the lower two of the three outlets, the upper still works off the ignition. I also mounted a switch next to the two outlets, breaking the ground, so I could shut them off when I wanted to.

I thought I had a pic, but I could not find it.
Here is a pic of the jumper, I reused the relay for the foglights I installed.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cerps said:
Dumb question, but how do you get the panel off to access the relays?
Very carefully. :D

This is what I wrote in the first post:

Start by removing the panel above the hood release. If you're careful, you can use a thin blade screwdriver to pop it loose on the right hand side. Use a rag to keep from scratching the adjacent panel. Once you get that top right corner loose, you can pull the panel towards you and remove it.
It pops out pretty easy. You can use a plastic pry tool or wrap the end of the screwdriver with electrical tape to prevent scratches.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've been wanting to put a switch in the center area (next to the heated seat switch) to control those two outlets, but still haven't found a decent switch. Toyota must use in-house elves to build their switches.

Rick

·
Registered
320 Posts
what type of wire did you use? not awg but actual type?
Stranded copper. You can pick up insulated wire at any auto parts store that will fit the bill. I work on aircraft electronics all day so I just used a small section of some from the shop.

Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for this writeup!!! :thumbs_up:

I would have been rewiring all the outlets to 12v with fuses and running wires all over the place :oops:

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
So using steel wool is a bad idea? :p
Yeah, very bad! But if a fuse blows just wrap it in aluminum foil. :lol: One size fits all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks.....your modification worked nicely......now I can recharge my MP3 player and Cell without interruption.
I would also like to add that if the jumper method is used, as opposed to the shorted relay method, the relay which was removed can be used as fog light relay thereby saving the cost of buying a new one if someone is installing fog lights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2012 RAV4 AWD V6 LIMITED I popped the panel and I have 5 blue relays! How do I tell which one as you only show 3? Is there a part number?

Thanks

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2012 RAV4 AWD V6 LIMITED I popped the panel and I have 5 blue relays! How do I tell which one as you only show 3? Is there a part number?

Thanks
It will be the second relay from the bottom. You can verify this by unplugging the relay. Turn on the ignition and the console and cargo jacks should be dead.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts