Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally did it!

After having this thread bookmarked for a year tonight the deed was done. Going away for a long weekend with the family. We have the portable Philips dual display Blu-ray player that plugs into the console power outlet. It has last play memory but requires a small but constant amount of power to work properly. Works like a charm now, thanks!:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used the chair adapter. Works great. Hopefully battery wont get drained by leaving car charger plugged in. The idea of adding a switch that you would have to turn on for the power output to be on seems great. The chair adapter is cheap and available on amazon. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does anyone know what purpose these foam blocks serve? Are they important? If not, I would like to remove the outer one (driver's left knee) to make room for an extra "always hot" 12v outlet next to the coin tray.
Removal tips, please.
TIA

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Does anyone know what purpose these foam blocks serve? Are they important? If not, I would like to remove the outer one (driver's left knee) to make room for an extra "always hot" 12v outlet next to the coin tray.
Removal tips, please.
TIA
I'm thinking those blocks have something to do with crash protection. Like maybe absorbing some of the force to protect the driver's knees.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Removal tips, please.
TIA
I believe those are there to absorb energy and reduce knee injury in the event of a collision. Might not want to remove them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is possible to solder wires to the relay contact legs to make the power outlets optionally on constant, but follow the standard operation the rest of the time. You'll need high heat and good heat conduction to keep the solder time as short as possible to prevent damage to the relay's internals. I used 12AWG stranded wire, but I'm sure it is safe to use something smaller.

Reactions: Jimbo Jam

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is possible to solder wires to the relay contact legs to make the power outlets optionally on constant, but follow the standard operation the rest of the time. You'll need high heat and good heat conduction to keep the solder time as short as possible to prevent damage to the relay's internals. I used 12AWG stranded wire, but I'm sure it is safe to use something smaller.

That is pretty sweet. Thanks for taking pictures. Kuddlkat could you tell me where you got your switch. I have been unable to find one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kuddlkat could you tell me where you got your switch. I have been unable to find one.
Thanks!
I just ended up finding a switch the had the right height, and cut a piece of plastic/vinyl from a discarded documentation folder to fill in the gap around it. It isn't pretty and is fully recessed.

I'm hoping to try to get some lit switches to fit onto hollowed-out switch blanks, but that might not happen for a few weeks.

Reactions: Jimbo Jam

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been running with my phone plugged in below the AC when I'm on the road. Not only is it not hot when the car is off, but it actually seems to drain the phone battery faster than if it wasn't plugged in. Might have to consider something like this and change plugins.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ended up finding a switch the had the right height, and cut a piece of plastic/vinyl from a discarded documentation folder to fill in the gap around it. It isn't pretty and is fully recessed.

I'm hoping to try to get some lit switches to fit onto hollowed-out switch blanks, but that might not happen for a few weeks.
If you find a switch please share. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for their input; I just modified my 2012 Rav4 with a jumper to get the center front seat console outlet hot all the time. My question is this: I have three relays as pictured on the first page of this thread; what do the other two relays do (I jumpered the second one from the bottom as described)?

Is there a way to get the 12 vdc outlet below the AC controls to be hot all the time also? I realize that it's on a separate circuit from the posts here; where is the relay for that circuit? Is there anything else on that circuit that would make it not a good idea for it to be hot at all times? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you have the factory fog lamps, that accounts for one of the relays, I think the one at the bottom. Not sure what the other one is for...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Others have left the relay out and inserted a jumper wire across the relay socket.
Electrics are not my game, so sorry for my stupid question: I want to leave the relay out and use a chair jumper - so I jump the slots for the copper connector only, correct?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I figured it out. Turns out I couldn't mess it up if I wanted to. The relay's copper blades are exactly the width of the chair connector blades, and larger than the other two, so trying to push the connector into the wrong socket is impossible.

Now I'm curious about all those pink factory jumped connectors��

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 rav4 power relay

I have a 2014 and I can't find the relay to make the 12 volt outlet hot all the time. I looked behind the left panel as described but do not see it.

I have a limited AWD loaded with all options, not sure if that makes a difference.

If someone has a picture it would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I have a 2014 and I can't find the relay to make the 12 volt outlet hot all the time. I looked behind the left panel as described but do not see it.
You must remove the panel. Did you do that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I did remove cover.

The 2014 does not look like that. I see no blue relays or any other relays.

The relays the arrow points to in your picture does not exist. The white fuse block is considerably different as well.

I will try to get a picture.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Sorry to have misled you. I did not read your post carefully, however it is in the wrong forum. You might ask in the RAV4.4 forum.

Best of luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

How about the 4.4 ... where can I find a main power source that's not switched ?

Im tempted to simply push a wire into the "big fat white wire" that is clearly the battery feed into the fuse/relay box that your photos also show (with a fuse of course) and rewire one of the 12v sockets under the AC controls.

Cheers

Simon

41 - 60 of 75 Posts