Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
It looks like you just connect the board between two wires. Where do i find these wires?
You have to remove the plastic trim panel on the inside of the door behind the 3rd brake light. There are 2 wires going to the light. Just cut these wires, ( + and - wires ) and insert the board between. + and - in / + and - out. That's it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
On my 2019 Adventure I've done the Hella horns, installed the 2020 OEM engine hood insulation, driver door lighted buttons, interior cabin LED lights, Noico sound deadening material in all the doors, underneath the back seat, back side cargo areas, wheel well, and back lift gate. I'm also going to put in sound absorption felt in those areas as well. All the back windows came with dealer tinted windows and I'm going to do the driver and passenger windows as well to help with more sound absorption from outside sound. Then in the future I would like to put in the OEM trailer hitch to tow around one of my other vehicles(lol). Replace the Toyo tires that came on the vehicle with quitter street tires.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Something I add to every vehicle I own is a 3rd brake light flasher. Having been rear ended previously I think it really help gets the attention of all the texting drivers on the roads today. The one I like that is very reliable is made by Velleman. It's a kit that you have to solder parts on the circuit board. However, there are several other ones available that are plug-n-play (no assembly), but I don't know their quality or longevity. The Velleman unit just works.

Velleman MK178 Third Brake Light Flasher Kit - VellemanStore
Which one did you get?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Something I add to every vehicle I own is a 3rd brake light flasher. Having been rear ended previously I think it really help gets the attention of all the texting drivers on the roads today. The one I like that is very reliable is made by Velleman. It's a kit that you have to solder parts on the circuit board. However, there are several other ones available that are plug-n-play (no assembly), but I don't know their quality or longevity. The Velleman unit just works.

Velleman MK178 Third Brake Light Flasher Kit - VellemanStore
Which one did you get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Things I've done to my '19 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Tech/Cold:

1. Added the Curt 2" hitch receiver.
2. Replaced all filament lighting with warm-white LEDs (except the Fogs lights are 4000K to match HL)
3. Bought a pair of Hella horns https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG18SFM
4. Added a dummy load resistor in place of the backup warning speaker : Uxcell a11053000ux0353 Gold Tone 25W 100 Ohm 5% Aluminum Clad Resistors, 2 Piece: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
5. Added an LED strip lite in the glovebox, with pin switch and LED variable brightness driver Amazon.com: PryEU Warm White 2700K LED Strip Lights 12V Waterproof for Auto Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Interior Lighting 12'' 30CM 3528 SMD UL Listed Pack of 4: Home Improvement and Amazon.com: Happyskymall Marswell Ultra-compact High-Speed PWM LED Dimmer 3V - 35V 5A 90w Switching Frequency: 10K for DIY LED Panel Light LED Strip Light (1Pc): Home Improvement
6. Added PowerPole outlet & USB-A, USB-C outlets to cargo panel Amazon.com: Powerwerx Panel Mount Housing for Two Anderson Powerpole Connectors with a Weather Resistant Cover: Automotive
7. Added LED Hatch Door Lights Replacement Kit from CarTrimHome
8. Replaced driver window/lock control with backlit module from Corolla
9. Added ScanGauge II to monitor factory TPMS by individual tire. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AAMY86

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
175 Posts
my mods...
LED Lights: turns, reverse, brake and interior
Full tint: windshield, front, rear and pana roof
Aftermarket running boards
Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped door sills
Apeman Dash Cam
Hella Horns
Enkei TS-V rims, Aodhan Lug Nuts, Moteki wheel locks
Painted front grille
Smoked vinyl tail lights
K&N drop in air filter
Hood Struts
Drawtite Class III toe hitch (on the way)
Cusco Strut Bar (on the way)
DC Motorsports exhaust tips

·
Registered
104 Posts
What’s the best one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Disclaimer: I haven't bought one yet due to everything going on. I'm going to go with the Toyota OEM trailer hitch. Not that there's any thing wrong with the others. But I like the Toyota hitch because it looks like it sits higher off of the ground. Also I want to tow with mine. So I just feel safer going with the Toyota hitch. If I was putting a hitch on to carry a bike then I would be good with the others.

The cons of the Toyota hitch is that it's going to cost between $800 to $1000 if you want the dealer to install it. If you do it yourself the hitch is around $250 plus tax and shipping from BAM.

So what's the best one? It's what's best for you and your needs and how much you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
What’s the best one?
Define best? OEM is the best looking, Torklift fits highest off the ground of the 3 aftermarket options, but costs more than OEM, Curt is the least expensive and made in the US as is the Torklift, Draw-Tite would be my last choice since it's made in Mexico and there have been complaints about how poorly finished it's been.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What’s the best one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I can't compare, but I have the Curt.

Pros:
Easy install, took 10 minutes, 4 bolts.
Looks clean
Durable, I've scraped it hard a couple times, with no significant damage.

Cons:
It kills the foot detector for the auto tailgate. I have to use my hands. Boo hoo (not).
It does grind on one particular gas station gutter... I have to remember to drive at 45 degrees into the street.
It is quite low, and needs a 8-9 inch lift hitch -- which really hurts when you forget it's there and walk into it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have to remove the plastic trim panel on the inside of the door behind the 3rd brake light. There are 2 wires going to the light. Just cut these wires, ( + and - wires ) and insert the board between. + and - in / + and - out. That's it!
It came un assembled. I sent it back.I have no clue on how to assemble it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My list on 2020 TRD:
1. Full size spare tire
2. Body side molding and mud guard
3. OEM tow hitch and after market wire harness
4. Backlit driver side door switch
5. After market running board
6. 2nd battery (LiFePO4 50AH) with DC/DC charger, 12V to 24V step up converter (24V 480W for boiling water), 12V 480W socket (for fridge/lights), voltage meter, USB 3.0
7. Door Open hander LED lights
8. LED cargo light replacement
9. Black out Toyota logo on the back
10. Sound deadening on some area
11. LP skid plate
12. additional smart key fob
13. Hood Lift Shock Strut
14. Lug Nuts
15. Front and back dashcam
16. seal the gap between hood and headlights

281 - 295 of 295 Posts