Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a momentary loss of EV power on the accelerator when the car starts up from a full stop? Here's what happened.

I am stopped at a light making a left turn. There is one car in front of me. Light turns green and I take the foot off the brakes and apply some throttle to the accelerator to inch into the intersection at the same pace as the car in front. The car in front stops momentarily and proceeds to initiate the left turn. When I saw the car in front stop for a moment, I ease off the accelerator. Then when I see the car in front accelerate, I step on the gas pedal again. All this happening in EV mode. When I apply throttle the second time, I feel a momentary loss of power. The electric motors doesn't kick in at all, even when I step on the gas further more. It feels like that for 1-2 seconds, before the ICE kicks in to "restore" the acceleration power. For the 1 to 2 seconds when this issue comes out, it feels like the power is cut even when I'm stepping on the gas pedal.

I've now experienced this twice. Once while turning right at an intersection, and second in the left turn lane as described above. I'm not sure if the problem is with the ICE kicking in too late when the additional power is needed on acceleration, or if the electric motor's power is being cut too early when the accelerator is "throttled" (press, ease off, press again).

Has anyone experience this? I don't think I've read anyone reporting this before. My main concern with this loss of power is at a left turn, when I'm accelerating into my left turn with oncoming traffic coming. If oncoming traffic is coming fast and I lose power in my acceleration, I might not make the turn in time before getting hit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds more like traction control doing its thing on a bump or pothole.
This is on even ground, no bumps nor potholes. It's also not on braking. I've experienced the lost of braking power when going over bumps too, but that's a whole different issue.

Registered
Maybe pre collision protection kicked in.
This is definitely it. I've had this happen to me a dozen times. It only happens when I'm inching up and anticipating acceleration and throttling slightly but the car in front of me doesn't move. The pre-collision basically cuts power for about 2 seconds (or what seems like an eternity if you're trying to make a damn left turn lol) and the car is basically coasting really slowly until power finally kicks in

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe pre collision protection kicked in.
No it鈥檚 not that. I鈥檝e seen what the PCP warning looks like. A big red warning with BRAKE!! comes on the MID with audible warning. Nothing like that appeared when the power cut off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
This is definitely it. I've had this happen to me a dozen times. It only happens when I'm inching up and anticipating acceleration and throttling slightly but the car in front of me doesn't move. The pre-collision basically cuts power for about 2 seconds (or what seems like an eternity if you're trying to make a damn left turn lol) and the car is basically coasting really slowly until power finally kicks in
Do you see anything appear in the MID when that happened (red warning with 鈥渂rake!鈥)? The thing is if it鈥檚 the pre collision warning then the brakes should engage, not just the loss in power. I鈥檓 still not totally convinced it鈥檚 the precollision warning.

Registered
You mentioned that it happened on left and right turns from stop. Has it ever happened going straight?

If not, it might be something along the lines of the steering wheel position sensor vs the AWD or ABS system. The sensor is used to alter the systems since turning will cause the tires to rotate slight different speeds. The hesitation could be caused by a momentary confusion of the systems including the ICE starting. Since I have a gas only RAV, there must be a slight delay when the ICE starts. Throw all of these systems together, all heck could be happening at the moment in time when you press the gas pedal the second time and want to "go fast". Sorry for the movie reference there :eek:

Now, if it also happens when going straight; such as at a stop light when you go then they stop and then go again. Then the above theory regarding tire speeds in a turn is out the window.

Just some thoughts.

Actually, since I have gas only, does the electric motor drive the rear wheels always and use the ICE when needed to pull during acceleration and also recharge the batteries or is there times when it's a front wheel drive only vehicle and the electric motor is disconnected from the drive line.

Registered
Tur
Has anyone experienced a momentary loss of EV power on the accelerator when the car starts up from a full stop? Here's what happened.

I am stopped at a light making a left turn. There is one car in front of me. Light turns green and I take the foot off the brakes and apply some throttle to the accelerator to inch into the intersection at the same pace as the car in front. The car in front stops momentarily and proceeds to initiate the left turn. When I saw the car in front stop for a moment, I ease off the accelerator. Then when I see the car in front accelerate, I step on the gas pedal again. All this happening in EV mode. When I apply throttle the second time, I feel a momentary loss of power. The electric motors doesn't kick in at all, even when I step on the gas further more. It feels like that for 1-2 seconds, before the ICE kicks in to "restore" the acceleration power. For the 1 to 2 seconds when this issue comes out, it feels like the power is cut even when I'm stepping on the gas pedal.

I've now experienced this twice. Once while turning right at an intersection, and second in the left turn lane as described above. I'm not sure if the problem is with the ICE kicking in too late when the additional power is needed on acceleration, or if the electric motor's power is being cut too early when the accelerator is "throttled" (press, ease off, press again).

Has anyone experience this? I don't think I've read anyone reporting this before. My main concern with this loss of power is at a left turn, when I'm accelerating into my left turn with oncoming traffic coming. If oncoming traffic is coming fast and I lose power in my acceleration, I might not make the turn in time before getting hit.
Turn ALL on the nannies off? See if it happens? Then you will know for sure? Thought I had a pile of junk on icy roads until I 鈥渞ead the owners manual鈥 turned off the LTA and steering assist!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
You mentioned that it happened on left and right turns from stop. Has it ever happened going straight?

If not, it might be something along the lines of the steering wheel position sensor vs the AWD or ABS system. The sensor is used to alter the systems since turning will cause the tires to rotate slight different speeds. The hesitation could be caused by a momentary confusion of the systems including the ICE starting. Since I have a gas only RAV, there must be a slight delay when the ICE starts. Throw all of these systems together, all heck could be happening at the moment in time when you press the gas pedal the second time and want to "go fast". Sorry for the movie reference there :eek:

Now, if it also happens when going straight; such as at a stop light when you go then they stop and then go again. Then the above theory regarding tire speeds in a turn is out the window.

Just some thoughts.

Actually, since I have gas only, does the electric motor drive the rear wheels always and use the ICE when needed to pull during acceleration and also recharge the batteries or is there times when it's a front wheel drive only vehicle and the electric motor is disconnected from the drive line.
Thanks for your insight. For the hybrids system the electric motors (all four wheels) will drive the wheels from a standstill. Then as needed the ICE will start to give more power.

I haven鈥檛 experienced this when going straight. I was thinking going to an empty parking lot and see if I can replicate the issue with just the pedal press sequences. If I can reproduce it then I鈥檒l know it鈥檚 not any of the pre collision systems.

Registered
For what it's worth, about 2 months ago I was the only car stopped in the left turn lane on flat ground. When the light turned green, I pressed the accelerator as I usually do (not floored) and the car started extremely slowly forward, almost like it was rolling rather than being powered. I pressed the pedal to the floor, but still there was no power. There were no warnings or lights on the dash. So I pressed the brake and stopped completely and then just pressed the accelerator again and then everything was normal. It was a warm, dry day--nothing out of the ordinary. It happened so suddenly and was over quickly. I've never had anything else like that happen.

I hadn't posted previously because I had never seen anything remotely like this being mentioned, so I just let it go. After reading this thread, I thought I should at least mention my experience.

Registered
For what it's worth, about 2 months ago I was the only car stopped in the left turn lane on flat ground. When the light turned green, I pressed the accelerator as I usually do (not floored) and the car started extremely slowly forward, almost like it was rolling rather than being powered. I pressed the pedal to the floor, but still there was no power. There were no warnings or lights on the dash. So I pressed the brake and stopped completely and then just pressed the accelerator again and then everything was normal. It was a warm, dry day--nothing out of the ordinary. It happened so suddenly and was over quickly. I've never had anything else like that happen.

I hadn't posted previously because I had never seen anything remotely like this being mentioned, so I just let it go. After reading this thread, I thought I should at least mention my experience.
which mode were u on? ECO?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Sounds similar to what I experienced. The "rolling rather than being powered" exactly described my experience.

which mode were u on? ECO?
Yes, I've been driving exclusively on ECO mode.

Registered
I've encountered this "hesitation" multiple times while driving my Limited while in eco mode not only when slow rolling, but at highway speed as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts