Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MonkeyWrench Racing HKS SUPERCHARGER KIT – 2GR-FE

Why isn't there any threads, posts or discussion on this?

This kit is a bit of an oddball. HKS designed it for a little minivan called the Alphard but it can be bolted to any 2GR-FE engine. It uses the stock airbox and the intercooler bolts to the top of the engine (Alphard-specific ducting is included) so it’s a very clean, compact install.

Includes:
– HKS GT supercharger unit (ultracompact Rotrex type)
– Oil cooler, tank and hoses for supercharger
– Supercharger mounting bracket
– Belt drive brackets, pulleys, belt etc
– Custom intercooler, cast end tanks
– Bypass valve
– Intercooler pipes, couplers
– HKS performance spark plugs
– HKS power programmer compatible with Alphard ECU (did not work on our Rav4, untested on other models. Unlikely to work for you.)

MonkeyWrenchRacing said:
Rav4 V6:
We have installed this system on our shop 2006 Rav4 V6. This car is otherwise 100% stock and we suspect the cat is a little bit clogged up based on the before dyno numbers. Regardless, with absolutely no electronic or fuel system upgrades (the included programmer only works on Alphard minivans) the a/f ratio checked out to be perfect. The intercooler had to be cut down considerably to clear the hood and there is no airflow (no ducting) in that area so it’s essentially not intercooled at all. Still, the power increase is substantial and the torque increase makes all the difference in the world in how the car drives around town. Fun!

MonkeyWrench Racing Supercharger Kit

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh No's

Looks like I pulled the plug on this. MonkeyWrench Racing has agreed to remove the supercharger kit off of their V6 RAV4 and sell that kit to me. I wanted something that would be plug-n-play. Their RAV4 is stock, with stock exhaust piping, etc. The intercooler they are removing has already been modified to fit in the RAV4's engine bay so everything will just be a straight-forward install. The intercooler is non-functioning in their RAV4 though. I don't plan on leaving it that way.....ala WRX. I could not pass this up.

I've already discussed the reflashing of an ECU by R9K, despite it not being needed. I may have some adjustments made to fueling (with slightly larger fuel injectors.....from TRD Aurion) and ignition. I am awaiting pricing on installation from my local shop.

So....there it is. I will post more as more info comes, including pics of the kit after it arrives. >:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks like I pulled the plug on this. MonkeyWrench Racing has agreed to remove the supercharger kit off of their V6 RAV4 and sell that kit to me. I wanted something that would be plug-n-play. Their RAV4 is stock, with stock exhaust piping, etc. The intercooler they are removing has already been modified to fit in the RAV4's engine bay so everything will just be a straight-forward install. The intercooler is non-functioning in their RAV4 though. I don't plan on leaving it that way.....ala WRX. I could not pass this up.

I've already discussed the reflashing of an ECU by R9K, despite it not being needed. I may have some adjustments made to fueling (with slightly larger fuel injectors.....from TRD Aurion) and ignition. I am awaiting pricing on installation from my local shop.

So....there it is. I will post more as more info comes, including pics of the kit after it arrives. >:D

No freakin way!! That's awesome! Definitely keep us posted. I bet if you lived closer we could tackle this job and save the install fees.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spy Photos

Here are some early spy photos of the kit on MonkeyWrench's 2006 RAV4 V6.

I asked if they could send me the photos so I can send them to my mechanic and you guys, in case your interested.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Awesome! More photos the better! The guys on ToyotaNation would love to see these as well. I just spilled the beans on one of the threads. Can't post links as I am still new.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The hood scoop your going to do should make a big difference along with the injectors and R9K tune. So exciting!!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Here are some early spy photos of the kit on MonkeyWrench's 2006 RAV4 V6.

I asked if they could send me the photos so I can send them to my mechanic and you guys, in case your interested.
Great find! Very tidy install on the '06 V6! Will your hood mod allow room for the intercooler, which should add some more power? Do you think that injection system mods will be needed to compensate for the increased intake air density because of the intercooler? Also interesting will be your even better 1/4 mile stats after the upgrades. Keep us posted!
:smile

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks like they cut about 5 rows out of the intercooler and welded it back up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will your hood mod allow room for the intercooler, which should add some more power?
Looks like they cut about 5 rows out of the intercooler and welded it back up.
They did! This was the only way to get this intercooler to fit under the hood for the RAV4. This was the reason I wanted the kit that they had already modified. The hood mod would allow air to the intercooler BUT I may not be going that route. The shop I plan on having it installed at discussed making piping and using a front mount intercooler. This actually makes sense so this is the route I plan on looking to after getting the kit. The location of the top mount is right over the heat generated from the engine/tranny. It can work but there's no doubt a front mount location would be better. Will see! If that is the case, this intercooler may be for sale.

Oh and Blogson, they had this installed on a stock RAV4, with stock exhaust. The fuel was spot on for that. If you have an aftermarket exhaust, you may run on the lean side. ECU reflashing and/or aftermarket injectors would probably be better in this case.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's no shame in grafting on a Subie WRX hood scoop for the intercooler . . . .:mrgreen:
There's a little bit a shame. :lol: I love Subarus though.
My mechanic mentioned making a front mount. When ready for installation, this is something we will discuss but if doable, chances are a front mount will be the route I take.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Congrats that the kit has arrived. Is your Japanese up to the task of deciphering the instructions? Perhaps the previous owner can be of help. Keep us posted . . .

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats that the kit has arrived. Is your Japanese up to the task of deciphering the instructions? Perhaps the previous owner can be of help. Keep us posted . . .
There are a lot of pics inside the manual. People can use apps on Androids and such to translate the words. My mechanic is pretty good either way. It won't be an issue. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh man! And you described your throttle response as "cartoonish" now. :D

Your mechanic said you're better off mounting the intercooler up front, right? So, are you going to use the same cooler, or get another one?

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
There are a lot of pics inside the manual. People can use apps on Androids and such to translate the words. My mechanic is pretty good either way. It won't be an issue. :lol:
LOL - I've had some interesting results using apps for translation, but am reasonably certain that you and your mechanic will manage well nonetheless! :wink Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Self Note #1

Disregard this post. I post sometimes in my own threads to remind myself of things....for informational purposes. Was thinking about bypassing the intercooler altogether and searched how much heat could be made by the supercharger.

Heat Made By The Supercharger

To See just how much heat is generated by 1 PSI of boost we can use the following formula:

(PR0.28 x Tabs) - Tabs

Where

PR = Pressure Ratio

Tabs = Ambient Temperature on the absolute scale. ( For example on a sunny day in the UK, we could assume 70oF = 70o + 460o = 530o Absolute.)

Another way of expressing this formula would be:

(PR0.28-1) x Tabs

So using this formula we can work out how much 1 psi of boost will raise the temperature at an ambient temperature of 70oF

Note: 14.7psi absolute = Atmospheric pressure at sea level

So we have a figure of 9.857o absolute as an ideal temperature gain for 1 psi at an ambient temperature of 70oF. But this does not take into account the efficiency of the supercharger. So to get the REAL temperature gain, we take the ideal temperature gain divided by the thermal efficiency of the supercharger.

So for a Centrifugal Supercharger such as the Rotrex with a typical thermal efficiency of 75% the Real temperature gain for 1 psi of boost would be:

This is a typical figure to give an idea of the temperatures that can be reached. The Actual temperature gain per psi decreases with boost pressure because of the 0.28 exponent in the formula and the fact that the superchargers efficiency is not linear. For example the temperature gain per psi at 15 psi is about two thirds of the gain at 1 psi boost.

But even taking this into account you can see that with a typical setup producing 10 psi of boost you could easily have a temperature rise in excess of 120oF and that's above what you would see on a normally aspirated engine with all other components being equal.

From here ~~> Heat made by the supercharger.

Supercharger is an HKS GTS7040 model. Link to the compressor map here ~~> HKS GT Supercharger Specification

The kit does not include the oil needed for the supercharger itself. It is a rotrex type oil (Per Monkeywrench Racing). Manual shows two types in Japanese. Will decipher when I get home and post.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
24 Participants
Myxalplyx
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing