Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Biggest benefit for E85 isn't fuel economy at all..but what it can do for boosted or nitrous - performance applications. E85 is about $1.57 here in Dallas and $3.14 for premium 93. You don't want to run 87 if you're boosted...too much chance for knock...less with 93 and even less with E85.

I dont plan on running an aftermarket standalone until the stock ecu isn't able to pull enough fuel at idle and running around town- it handles the 440cc injectors just fine on 93 and E85. Anything bigger it would struggle and run too rich...what others have seen when running MRW larger injectors. Until I max out these 440s injectors, I'll stick with the stock ecu and should be just fine.
E85 here in Chicago suburbs is $2.70 and 91 octane is about $3.70. 93 octane is not extremely common here either.

I'm personally gonna run on 93 when supercharged. It's also challenging running E85 when in winter here in Illinois.

Keep working on your RAV4.We need all the input we can get,since not many people modify these 2GR-FE engines. Heck,I think it's only a handful of tuners for these out there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
E85 here in Chicago suburbs is $2.70 and 91 octane is about $3.70. 93 octane is not extremely common here either.

I'm personally gonna run on 93 when supercharged. It's also challenging running E85 when in winter here in Illinois.

Keep working on your RAV4.We need all the input we can get,since not many people modify these 2GR-FE engines. Heck,I think it's only a handful of tuners for these out there.
93 is also scarce in OK and KS but at least 91 is available...rarely E85. At minimum run premium 91...

Have you checked out the 2GRFE performance FB group? Lots of good info there and also on the V6 MR2 groups. Just don't expect anything vehicle specific but at minimum engine specific.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Minor update:

I will be testing two things once the track opens up, just out of curiousity.
1) The intercooler in the wheel wheel, I'll be cutting into the custom fin-cutout behind it in the wheel well. I was hoping that since the wheel well is a low pressure area, it'd help pull the air through the intercooler that is receiving air from the foglight. Instead of slits though, I'm just gonna cut a rectangular hole here and put 'chicken wire' in it's place. I'm not concerned about damage to the intercooler from rocks, debri, etc. Hopefully, this will help cool the intake charge better by allowing better air flow through the intercooler.

2) I will be testing Boostane Octane Booster. I just picked up a box of it and will be testing it on my Civic, even getting a tune with it (which from what I know, no-one has done on the new Civic platform yet). I am really excited about testing it out. I won't get a tune for it on the RAV4 because I don't plan on using it all the time. Just curious as to how much extra ignition timing advance (if any) the ECU will add while running on it.

I have posted a few video links and other links with reviews and more info about it. The Boostane site also has dyno numbers.

If you are bored, here are some videos and other links to get your juices flowing.

And some links ~~>
The Big Fuel Test: BOOSTane Adds 24-RWHP

Nissan GTR

Mustang Forum

Ford F150 Forum

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Originally I just had a 93 and an E85 tune. Currently working to wrap up my 4 new tunes..

93_ALL_MOTOR
93_NITROUS
E85_ALL_MOTOR
E85_NITROUS

Obviously the 93 octane tunes have less advanced timing and lower % of fuel added and each nitrous tune has timing reduced...more % reduced on the 93 than the E85.

Hope to at least get on the dyno and try both an all motor and nitrous pull once its dialed in better.
Do you know how much timing advance you were able to run before and after your tunes? This is for the 'Non-Nitrous' tunes. The difference is what I'm interested in. Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you know how much timing advance you were able to run before and after your tunes? This is for the 'Non-Nitrous' tunes. The difference is what I'm interested in. Thanks!
Pretty sure my 93 is almost 28-29 and E85 was over 31 - i'd have to double check but i'm pretty sure thats what i saw from TorquePro log files.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Pretty sure my 93 is almost 28-29 and E85 was over 31 - i'd have to double check but i'm pretty sure thats what i saw from TorquePro log files.
Ah...big thanks on your quick reply. I'll report the difference (if any) that I see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Minor update:

1) The intercooler in the wheel wheel, I'll be cutting into the custom fin-cutout behind it in the wheel well - I'm just gonna cut a rectangular hole here and put 'chicken wire' in it's place.

2) I will be testing Boostane Octane Booster.
Looking fwd to your updates! Thx!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Minor update:

1) The intercooler in the wheel wheel, I'll be cutting into the custom fin-cutout behind it in the wheel well. I was hoping that since the wheel well is a low pressure area, it'd help pull the air through the intercooler that is receiving air from the foglight. Instead of slits though, I'm just gonna cut a rectangular hole here and put 'chicken wire' in it's place. I'm not concerned about damage to the intercooler from rocks, debri, etc. Hopefully, this will help cool the intake charge better by allowing better air flow through the intercooler.

2) I will be testing Boostane Octane Booster. I just picked up a box of it and will be testing it on my Civic, even getting a tune with it (which from what I know, no-one has done on the new Civic platform yet). I am really excited about testing it out. I won't get a tune for it on the RAV4 because I don't plan on using it all the time. Just curious as to how much extra ignition timing advance (if any) the ECU will add while running on it.

I have posted a few video links and other links with reviews and more info about it. The Boostane site also has dyno numbers.

If you are bored, here are some videos and other links to get your juices flowing.

And some links ~~>
The Big Fuel Test: BOOSTane Adds 24-RWHP

Nissan GTR

Mustang Forum

Ford F150 Forum
Have you dynoed your RAV4 yet? I would be curious to know what numbers it makes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Have you dynoed your RAV4 yet? I would be curious to know what numbers it makes.
I know he dyno'd a several times but I don't think since the HKS Supercharger install - mostly judging the mods by his track times in the 1/4 mile.

Stock right after he bought it: 2010 Toyota RAV4 AWD Sport Baseline Dyno Run- Stock
Another with muffler and intake upgrade: Dyno Results WeaponR Dragon Intake Air Filter vs SB Air Filter

MRW showed dyno results on their shop Rav4 - the same kit Kevin bought off them resulted in 242whp/253tq (+31hp/+41tq over stock) but possibly had clogged cats and a reduced sized HKS intercooler. Being that Kevin's Rav4 was running 13s prior to the HKS install, i would expect his #s to be much higher - his Rav4 is definitely not typical. The RX350 was dyno'd at 266whp with this kit. I'd expect Kevin's is higher than that but IDK for certain obviously. Mine dyno'd at 243whp with just intake and exhaust...plus each dyno is different - there are several different factors you have to consider.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
TekSmrt pretty much answered everything, even better than I would've. I have no plans on dynoing any future mods or tests. Pretty much found out all I wanted to know.

Mainly just interested in track numbers and drivability. This vehicle has been super fun and enjoyable over the 10yrs I've owned it now. I cant seem to let it go.

Still....no issues. I do get check engine from evap canister purge flow (?). I'll get it ironed out sooner or later. It comes and goes though.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do get check engine from evap canister purge flow (?). I'll get it ironed out sooner or later. It comes and goes though.
Just a thought, Gustavo can remove those codes from your ECU so you don't get them anymore...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello,

The Lotus guys have said that the limit is about 460 crank horsepower on stock internals,with the Lotus ECU. The limit on the Toyota ECU is about 340-350whp,or 370-385 crank horsepower.

I have been busy mostly doing small mods like upgraded dash speaker installs,front and rear speaker installs,front camera install, 2"lift kit,Magnaflow muffler,Vibrant performance resonator and K&N air filter. Next month,I should be able to add another Magnaflow muffler for a dual exhaust setup and get a X-Pipe installed.

Here's a list of the engine internal stuff that I intend to slowly purchase over the next couple of months:
MWR coated rod bearing set= $105
MWR head stud kit= $299
MWR head gasket set 97mm= $219
Wiseco forged pistons 9:1 97mm= $999
Mustang GT500 supercharger= $650
MWR Fuel injectors= $459
AEM fuel pressure regulator= $125
AEM fuel pump 340lph= $122
Haltech 2500 ECU= $2,230
Total= $5,208

I'm still debating whether to get the Darton MID sleeves(modular integrated deck), that will allow me to convert the open engine deck of the 2GR-FE to a semi-closed deck. That way it can handle serious power like 500-600whp,but I'm still undecided about it.
Looks like Kurt and his Precision turbo'd camry on Haltech 2500 was able to make 787whp on a E153 manual and completely stock unopened 2GRFE 😲 These engines are amazing!!

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Looks like Kurt and his Precision turbo'd camry on Haltech 2500 was able to make 787whp on a E153 manual and completely stock unopened 2GRFE 😲 These engines are amazing!!
And it must be true and accurate. It's a Dynojet dyno running the same WinPep7 software as my bike/trike dyno.

Reactions: Myxalplyx

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #216

This is insane! Here I am scared of hitting mid 440lb-ft of torque from something I read years ago and that we needed to upgrade our connecting rods to withstand that much torque.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is insane! Here I am scared of hitting mid 440lb-ft of torque from something I read years ago and that we needed to upgrade our connecting rods to withstand that much torque.
Yeah its a wonder he made 676.55tq on that 787whp pull.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD SAP ** 14.104 @ 97.15mph 1/4 mile "all motor" ** Nitrous powered 2GRFE - 13.36 @ 105.61. ** Login • Instagram

201 - 217 of 217 Posts