Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forgive me I have spent some time reading through most of the pages but not all. Did you ever open up air flow to that intercooler? Cooling the charged air is key. I would probably go with a front mount. It seems hard to justify the cost for 5psi. What is the compression on a 2gr?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So would you say it’s best just to install exhaust, intake and light wheels? Because I was thinking about adding a turbo or a supercharger for the 11, rav4 v6 but if the difference isn’t too significant why bother then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there literature on intercoolers mounted outside the engine compartment? Given the comprehensibility of air, I think it would lower efficiency at the intake. Dunno. Worth looking into?
How about a water cooled intercooler? A friend of mine has a Dodge Challenger in which the supercharger is water cooled with its own radiator. Wicked!
Water-to-Air is worth looking into. I discussed this with the shop that would be working on my car. I have an old air-water intercooler in my garage that I was going to use on an old Subaru project back in the day. Never did use it. The shop mechanic stated that the air-to-air would be much simpler to setup and the air-to-water intercooler is best used on a track, where you can apply dry ice to the tank. I like simplicity so.

Intercooling is key! Corky Bell's books are awesome!
Now, this hardware and plumbing aside, what are the software options available? The stock ECU will likely have very limited ability to adjust fueling and timing based on just O2 sensors, IAT sensor and knock sensor. Even though the 2GR-FE has forged crank and con-rods, ECU remap will be of ultimate importance.
Vasil
A couple of things around this. You are correct on saying that the stock ECU is limited. I have been asking around about this kit on forums, Youtube, etc. I have gotten in touch with a gentleman who has this kit installed on his Toyota Sienna. Exact same kit. He knows of two other Sienna owners that has this same kit. He shared some interesting information with me earlier today.
1) The kit runs 'ok' without any tuning being done on it. Ok meaning that air/fuel ratios will seem to be ok for the most part and no drivability issues.
2) The kit will run better with some type of engine management as you stated.

The supercharged Sienna guy (SSG) said that he has his Sienna tuned with an HKS Fcon and said he can feel that his car has more power. He talked one of the other supercharged Sienna guys to get an HKS Fcon for his. This other guy would not get it at first because his air/fuel ratios were good but he went ahead with the purchase anyway. His supercharged dyno was 260whp. After using the HKS Fcon to tune his supercharged Sienna, he had 295whp. Both of these setups are with the top mounted intercooler utilizing a forward facing funnel setup that comes with the kit. Apparently the Sienna has the space to use this. So, yes, the HKS Fcon is one option.

I am going to go with having my stock ECU reflashed by R9K tuning, based on how my stock ECU reacts with the kit. I have faith that he'll do a good job so we'll see how that goes.

You can see a little bit of discussion about this on the Siennachat forum ~~> Supercharged Sienna
The guy I was talking to about this is not on the forum though but the two other guys I believe are. I am 'Myxalplyx' on there as well. I just joined! /forums/images/Rav4World/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
35 horsepower for $2800 is steep. I’m gonna stick a leaf blower on mine...

https://youtu.be/Rii3Yar1Z7s

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Did you ever open up air flow to that intercooler?
Nope, not to the intercooler in the foglight. Unless you are asking someone else. My setup is still the same. Slow, slow, SLOW progress on my part. Still trying to sort out my check engine light for too much fuel (Maf sensor diameter issue). It's in the shop now and I'm trying to get that resolved so I can take it through Motor Vehicle. No space for front mount on this vehicle. You'd have to remove your front bumper to see what I'm talking about. Originally, this is what I wanted to do.

It seems hard to justify the cost for 5psi. What is the compression on a 2gr?
No justification! Don't do it. Not recommending anyone do this. Actually, I don't recommend ANY modifications. Leave your ride stock. 0:)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I am using 440cc injectors with the factory ECU... no real problems. Tip-in enrichment goes rich, as expected, but the ECU is able to manage fine in closed-loop (hovers around 14.7:1), and goes appropriately rich under boost... maybe even excessively rich (I see down to 10.0), but I am not complaining, since it isn't too lean. No stuttering. There is carbon on the tail pipe, so it could be adjusted with a piggyback, I assume. I bought an FIC 6 for that purpose, but have not seen a real need for it yet. I installed a wideband sensor on each header.

Have you gotten any CEL's about fueling being too rich with the 440cc Bosch injectors you are using? I am having my 450cc's removed since I simply can not get rid of the fuel too rich CELs that pop up after resetting the ECU. No matter how I drive. I'm having the stock injectors installed so I can get it through Motor Vehicle IF the 450cc units were the cause of the CEL. I never got any CELs until I went up to 525cc injectors and have had them off and on ever since.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I just wanted to keep folks updated on any recent changes. First off, I had my stock fuel injectors put back in. I just picked the car up from the shop and will be taking it through Motor Vehicle tomorrow. I just couldn't not stop the 'fuel too rich' CELs that would pop up. The car ran great on the 450cc injectors otherwise. So hopefully no CEL pops up for a bit if it was fuel injector related and maybe I can tackle how to deal with this in the future IF I am not too lean going wide open throttle. Will be seeing how things go.

While the car was in the shop, I wanted to deal with the issue of the intercooler not intercooling. Temps were getting into the 150-180F range when accelerating and racing. It would cool down quickly after I got off the gas but the air going through the foglight just didn't seem like enough We theorized that maybe the air needed to be forced through the intercooler and that perhaps with the way it was mounted, some of the air was going around it.

So my 'mechanic' (He's much more than that, hate to call him that) designed a shroud inside the foglight area. I've uploaded a few pics so you can see what it looks like. You simply can not see it from the engine bay (too dark) and through the foglight itself. It COMPLETELY captures the air going through the foglight. It's constructed out of aluminum and welded to the intercooler. Air has to go through it. Also, if you were to reach your hand through the foglight and feel around to put your finger in a space at the end of the shroud, you can't. It's sealed. I tried but you can't see this with the bumper off. He even ceramic coated the aluminum. Great guy! He knows his stuff and is very creative. I will try to take a pic during daylight tomorrow of the foglight itself. Not much to see but still.

Some concerns with the shroud setup are:
1) Extra air may build up and actually prevent more air from coming through. There are fins cutout that allow air to go into the low pressure wheel well area but we don't know if it is enough with this setup.
2) Extra air building up may cause extra air resistance, negating any extra power made from cooling off the air.

Things to keep in mind.

I'll be hitting up the track this Friday. It's forecasted to be some morning showers but with only a high of 66F, should make for a decent night of racing. If the drives well up until then with no issues, will test it out and see how it goes.

Best time is in my signature. Will see....

That's all for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just wanted to keep folks updated on any recent changes.

That's all for now.
Awesome update and thanks for the pic too! Hope all goes well for testing and hopefully you get the injector CEL worked out. I'm about to install a set of 440cc injectors for my E85 tune and Tundra TB, so once I have some feedback, I'll update you.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Awesome update and thanks for the pic too! Hope all goes well for testing and hopefully you get the injector CEL worked out. I'm about to install a set of 440cc injectors for my E85 tune and Tundra TB, so once I have some feedback, I'll update you.

Yes, PLEASE do! I will absolutely stay glued to your results. That's friggin' awesome man. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I just wanted to keep folks updated on any recent changes.

I'll be hitting up the track this Friday. It's forecasted to be some morning showers but with only a high of 66F, should make for a decent night of racing. If the drives well up until then with no issues, will test it out and see how it goes.

Best time is in my signature. Will see....

That's all for now.

Many thanks for the update. Even though I am not going to do any of these mods to my '11 V6, reading of your experiments and progress is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Many thanks for the update. Even though I am not going to do any of these mods to my '11 V6, reading of your experiments and progress is very interesting.
Much appreciated Blogson. I have a lot of respect for the 'old timers' on the on th3 board. (Yeah, guess I'm old timer too). I've included a couple of pics I took today so you can see a little how things look from inside the foglight area and how we tried to 'seal' the air inside the shroud to force it through the intercooler. We almost decided to trim off the inside of the foglight to make for a 'hole' rather than the little pieces protruding into the incoming airflow. I decided against it, in case I go back to being N/A (Ex: Supercharger fails). I may want to install the foglight again someday but it's not likely.

I'm also including a short video clip to show it as well below. I don't even remember what I said in the video. Will look at it later. :lol:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the HKS supercharger on my rav for a few months and removed it. OV tuning can program the ecu to run the stock injectors and plenty of fuel. You will have to buy all the software and stuff and wait weeks at a time for a tune adjustment. Very little help on how to use the software. I would not recommend running this kit without tuning, it runs very lean with way too advanced timing. I could only get barely 5 psi, used an air to water intercooler in place of the HKS intercooler and ran a small radiator in front of the engine radiator and a pump from a mustang cobra. My 0 to 60 was around 5.2 seconds, never really did any real testing to see how much faster it was but it didn't feel much faster. Again, only 5 psi is not going to accomplish much as superchargers suck up power just to run them. I had constant issues with the belt squeaking after 200 miles, from idle to about 2200 rpm, drove me crazy. Also the transmission started slipping under part throttle boost when shifting from 2nd to 3rd after about 1000 miles. Zero support from HKS or anyone else,I gave up and it sits on the garage floor to this day. Transmission is OK once I went back to no boost.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I had the HKS supercharger on my rav for a few months and removed it. OV tuning can program the ecu to run the stock injectors and plenty of fuel. You will have to buy all the software and stuff and wait weeks at a time for a tune adjustment. Very little help on how to use the software. I would not recommend running this kit without tuning, it runs very lean with way too advanced timing. I could only get barely 5 psi, used an air to water intercooler in place of the HKS intercooler and ran a small radiator in front of the engine radiator and a pump from a mustang cobra. My 0 to 60 was around 5.2 seconds, never really did any real testing to see how much faster it was but it didn't feel much faster. Again, only 5 psi is not going to accomplish much as superchargers suck up power just to run them. I had constant issues with the belt squeaking after 200 miles, from idle to about 2200 rpm, drove me crazy. Also the transmission started slipping under part throttle boost when shifting from 2nd to 3rd after about 1000 miles. Zero support from HKS or anyone else,I gave up and it sits on the garage floor to this day. Transmission is OK once I went back to no boost.

Thanks for your write-up. Yeah, I am certainly not encouraging anyone go this route. I am still trying to get things ironed out to get this thing through motor vehicle. Maf sensor code still popping up (Purchased new maf sensor) and something with the evaporator cannister.

The poor intercooler efficiency is one big reason why I wouldn't recommend the kit. It has a lot of potential with it's low/midrange torque. It's there. Just that the top end falls off a lot and the supercharger generates a lot of heat (170F+ intake temps). I was previously even reaching 155F temps with ambient temps between 50-60F.

It'll all come together though. Just being patient since I'm doing a lot of brainstorming with my Civic. It's slowly getting there. Was perfect N/A though. No complaints!

Again.......this small supercharger makes the low/midrange torque brutal. It may cause some drama with a stock transmission.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I could only get barely 5 psi, used an air to water intercooler in place of the HKS intercooler and ran a small radiator in front of the engine radiator and a pump from a mustang cobra.
What are you going to do with this setup btw? Probably best to sell it all as one whole unit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Check out The Smoking Tire's new One Take review of Giovanni's HKS Supercharged Rav4 - They didn't have much good to say but I give props for putting his heart and soul into his build. It should be pretty quick regardless of the "elephant" sounds. LOL

First video before Giovanni was supercharged.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Check out The Smoking Tire's new One Take review of Giovanni's HKS Supercharged Rav4 - They didn't have much good to say but I give props for putting his heart and soul into his build. It should be pretty quick regardless of the "elephant" sounds. LOL
Big thanks for posting this. Wonder if 'Giovanni' posts here anytime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
such a good thread. Kevin do you live in MD? Cecil pulls guys from all around, I go every once in a while as its 77miles dead east of me.

Im in the market for a v6 rav4 and this thread is encouraging. I need a good all arounder and it seems like it will fit the bill well and give me plenty of go fast to be amusing. The accumulator shimming was something I was going to do on my boosted automatic tercel to solve flaring issue as wel (1-2 would flare, smack the limiter and shoot flames out the exhaust, hilarious but time consuming) but after 18psi I destroyed the motor lol.

I am a custom fabricator by trade and prefer turbos. Maybe one day down the road I may entertain mild boost on one. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I got wayyy to many of my own projects going on and customer cars.

161 - 180 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
24 Participants
Myxalplyx
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing