Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pricing out replacing all 4 struts/shocks. ordering from rock auto after 5% discount. not looking at any other brands.
Monroe ($144 shipped after $25 rebate)
KYB ($249 shipped)

I'm leaning towards Monroe because of the price and their "lifetime" warranty. I think the monroe fronts are made in Japan and the rear shocks are made in USA. KYB also had a recent price fixing scandal. I'll be installing them myself and have already bought strut bellows already.

I'm looking for reviews on what was installed and how are they holding up?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have never been happy with Monroe...I have kyb on the back of my rav and will put them on the front when I need to replace those...also used kyb when I replaced all 4 struts on my wife's car...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never been happy with Monroe...I have kyb on the back of my rav and will put them on the front when I need to replace those...also used kyb when I replaced all 4 struts on my wife's car...
what was bad with monroe? did they start leaking or fail earlier?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mushroe shocks

I had Mushroe Crapmatics on my Chevy Tahoe several years ago, never again!
Yeah, the low price reflected the low quality.
They were fine for about 9 months, then the ride quality degraded fast.:mad:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I put Monroe's Sensa Trac on the rear of the 2004 RAV4 about 3 years ago with no problem. Just replaced a broken right rear spring and the shock was good. The nuts were SAE which surprised me.

On the front used Monroe Sensa trac struts installed this year with KYB mounts and KYB bellows. I'm happy with the ride.

What sold me on the Monroe struts was member Serious Black who had them on for 40,000 miles with no problem. In the past, many years ago I had trouble with Monroe's not lasting on a Dodge Caravan and went to OEM for that vehicle.

I got a great deal with an ADVANCE AUTO 33% off coupon plus Monroe rebate. The whole package was bought years ago. About $175 for two struts/ two shocks and the Sensa Trac premiun stuff after coupon/rebate.

I heard some people say KYB is too firm which I don't want.

I had to take the struts/mount/bellow/old strut to a garage for assembly for $50 for two since both the clam spring compressor and suicide compressor sticks I had would not compress the RAV4 springs enough.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Shocks are subjective when it comes to things like "ride quality" or feel. Some people like the car firm, others softer.
I put KYB GasAdjust on a BMW that autocrossed. Those firm shocks worked well with both stock and lower stiffer springs, as well as being tolerable on the street (but I liked that car firm). But I tried KYB GR2 on my El Camino and was disappointed with insufficient damping and they wore out quickly, so I could replace them with Bilstein HD.
It pretty much depends on how you want to use your car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess my stock oem tokico's still feel firm. i'll just replace the bellows for now and check the shock when it's off the springs. i'll get new shocks when i really need to.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i guess my stock oem tokico's still feel firm. i'll just replace the bellows for now and check the shock when it's off the springs. i'll get new shocks when i really need to.
I don't think it's worth the effort to replace the bellows only, esp in CA. Bellow is ripped, so what. Wife vehicle original bellows are ripped for a few years on her 2001 Avalon with 65,000 miles in New York to no ill effect and gonna stay like that until struts need replacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's really fine for me just replacing the bellows. i've already purchased them. i've lowered my 2 previous cars before. i'm not paying for the job since i could probably do this in less than a hour.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put the kyb on my rear 53k ago ( 2yrs) and they leaking .... Not sure what to get this time ... I just turned 112k it's a 09 limited 4cy.... The rear shocks just don't last long enough for my liking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts