Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get a moonroof on my RAV4.
In order to get the moonroof I would get a Flint mica Sports 4x4.

Without the moonroof I dont think there is much difference between a Sports and a Black Base 4x2. The price difference between the two is approximately $3000 after taxes, which is a LOT of money.

This is my first car and I dont want to have any regrets later. Is it really worth it? Can those with/without a moonroof offer some advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We love our moonroof. Didn't think we would like it at first, but when we got a car with it, we now can't live without it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My RAV4 was the first car I have ever purchased that was a Limited and has all the bells and whistles. In the past I have always wished I had a loaded automobile, but just excepted the fact that I was at that time lucky to have a new car period. In my opinion, you will be more likely to be satisfied with a car allot longer if you get the extras. If you get one watered down, you will want to jump to another car in a few years and lose money in the long run. If you can afford it, get the stuff you want on the car. Our RAV4 is the first car I have owned with a moon roof and I really like it. If you get it just remember to not open it past the automatic stopping point, which is about 80-85% open. If you open it 100%, it will sound like a helicopter is taking off in your car :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On that note.
Would you all recommend a moonroof deflector? Does it really help? I dont see too many of you owning one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Junky said:
On that note.
Would you all recommend a moonroof deflector? Does it really help? I dont see too many of you owning one.
AS far as I know there isn't one made for this 2006 RAV4 yet. I wouldn't want one :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
BTW SS what is past the automatic stopping point? I push the button it opens, then it stops. Is that 80-85% or is that 100%? How do I open it 100%? Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
inlets said:
BTW SS what is past the automatic stopping point? I push the button it opens, then it stops. Is that 80-85% or is that 100%? How do I open it 100%? Thanks
If you hold the button down it will open 100%. If you hit the button and let go it will automatically open until it gets to 80-85% and stop. This is the Maximum open point without getting wind buffeting. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I wouldn't consider your $3k just for the moonroof...

Even the lowest-priced Sport has alloys all around, 18" vs 16" steel wheels, including the spare tire (none of the other models have an alloy spare); a tighter suspension; blackout headlamp trim; fog lamps; color keyed door handles & mirrors; paint colors not available on other models; and roof rails.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dealership said they can put in an aftermarket moonroof for me for $1400. i rather get the Sport..

i was in the same boat at you...only wanting the moonroof but it comes with all sorts of bells and whistles. i've come to enjoy all those other things that came along and felt the extra price was well worth it!

if my 2001 maxima had the moonroof, i would have kept it longer. :lol: so get something you want to keep for a long time (unless if that's not your intention)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Be careful about aftermarket sunroofs. They are not the same as factory ones.

The actual roof is molded for the sunroof in a factory one. Aftermarket, they just cut a big hole in your roof and goop in the sunroof. I had one put in my Toyota pickup years ago and it leaked every time it rained. Major PIA!

Get the factory one, it's way better.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
agreed. Factory or nothing for me..

seadragon said:
Be careful about aftermarket sunroofs. They are not the same as factory ones.

The actual roof is molded for the sunroof in a factory one. Aftermarket, they just cut a big hole in your roof and goop in the sunroof. I had one put in my Toyota pickup years ago and it leaked every time it rained. Major PIA!

Get the factory one, it's way better.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would go with after market Around my way it costs lets than 500 do get it install and ity had life time guarantee..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would pay the $3000 and gte the sunroof, if it's feasible for you to afford it. personally, I will never buy a car without a sunroof again. I love it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ditto, although aftermarket sunroofs are not the scary concept they were years ago. I have an aftermarket sunroof in my Subaru. Compared to the factory sunroof (available in other models but not mine) it's larger, higher-quality and was installed more neatly. I wouldn't hesitate to get one again if a factory roof wasn't available in the vehicle I wanted.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
flyingn said:
The sunroof is well worth the $$.. I would not have a car without it
depnds on where you live i guess. in texas, they'll run you out of the car with the amount of heat they let in. (and no, the little slide thing blocks the light, NOT the heat.) which is why around here, cars with sunroofs always run the a/c full blast.
i have one on my other car, but i have Huper Optik film on it that blocks a buttload of heat. so it's not so bad. but most people aren't willing to shell out a bill to have Huper or V-Kool put on it, so they just burn up, and blame the a/c for not working as good as it should.
and no matter what the dealer, or anyone else, says, that darker shade the glass has does NOTHING to cut down on the heat. (or block UV or IR for that matter)

they were nice when i was younger. i don't care for them much now. certainly wouldn't pay $3K for it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm different - I will always choose no moonroof, if possible. I tend to keep my vehicles many years and holes in the roof just don't work out long term - the seals deteriorate, the linkages get gummy and worn, and they tend to become a PITA after the warranty is gone.

They also cut headroom and add a lot of additional weight at the very top of the vehicle where it is least desirable.

The extra light is nice in winter, but I never drive with mine open.

I looked for an LX without the big hole in the roof - no luck...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts