Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members

Recently acquired an 06 RAV4 paid a lot more for it than I wanted to but they do command a stiff price. I have replaced the brakes and bled the lines still a bit more mushy than I prefer but I can live with it. Over all I really love this car having had lots of Toyota's over the years the first one was 1972 Celica then a 1981 Cressida kept this one til it had 256,000 miles on it, 1996 Tacoma loved all of them. Hopefully this one will last as well as the others.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Welcome. If you have the 2.4l four cylinder keep a hawkeye on that oil dipstick and I mean every single week. A quart every 1000 miles or less is not uncommon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTexasF I do have the 2.4l, Thanks and I'll watch it, since it only has 98,000 on the clock I would find this to be unusual.

I just had it detailed yesterday - looks like it just came off the dealer's showroom floor. Here I am at 74 years old and I'm just like a kid with a new Toy.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Just to clue you in it is not unusual with that particular engine. They changed it for the 2009 model year due to the many problems (oil) and lawsuits. Not all burn oil but the majority do and it can begin at 50K miles or so. Toyota is actually rebuilding some of them after an oil consumption test. Not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know about a problem many are not aware of until they blow the engine due to no oil.

The newer Toyotas are nothing like the ones in the past. You've got 8 years on me but I grew up with Celicas & Corollas also. I even had a Toyota diesel truck many moons ago. Enjoy that new toy!

Here's more information:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106...-oil-consumption-08-11-2011-a.html#post893994

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again RTexasF for the heads up, hmm might be the reason the prior owner put it for sale in the first place. I went out on the net, there seems to be a great many others not just the 2.4 at any rate I will certainly be watching it closely as we are soon departing on a 2000 mile trip to Yuma.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Enjoy your trip but have some oil with you just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again RTexasF for the heads up, hmm might be the reason the prior owner put it for sale in the first place. I went out on the net, there seems to be a great many others not just the 2.4 at any rate I will certainly be watching it closely as we are soon departing on a 2000 mile trip to Yuma.

Competed the 2K trip Oil was down almost 1 quart in 2330 miles since the last change, more than I would like or expect but I can live with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RTexasF

Competed the 2K trip Oil was down almost 1 quart in 2330 miles since the last change, more than I would like or expect but I can live with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been awhile since I visited this site. I've had a soft brake pedal (spongy) for far to long, I had the system bled twice this last time we bled the master cylinder as well but still soft. Pretty much to the floor and not comfortable. It's an 06 Rav4 4cylinder and has anti lock brakes. I'm wondering if anyone knows the proper way to bleed the anti lock system. The local Napa guy told me turn on the key and bleed the RF RR LR LF in that order. On line I've seen different directions such as RF LR RR LF plus the use of a code reader to cycle the anti lock mechanism. Anyone know for sure how to do this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on the oil consumption on my 06 2.4l It now has 123k on it, consumption is about the same. The owners manual actually says that 1liter in 1000km is normal, what I've been doing is the 3000 mile change using 5-20 oil. As I burn the first quart I replace it with 10w30 this thicker oil results in 1 quart in 1000 miles so, so I add 2 quarts between changes. Still don't understand what Toyota did with this engine as I have a friend with an 04 Camry 240,000 miles he uses a quart in 2000 its a 2.4 don't know if its the same exact engine or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts